follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
DaReaper

Drives: SRT-4, Evo, IS-F
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pics for 3D model

Anybody have a clear and straight front, rear, side view for the BRZ/FR-S? any model will do. It will take me two weeks to do and I will share the model with the whole board. If I get pics of the greddy (auto show) modelista or the trd version I will make those too.
DaReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReaper View Post
Anybody have a clear and straight front, rear, side view for the BRZ/FR-S? any model will do. It will take me two weeks to do and I will share the model with the whole board. If I get pics of the greddy (auto show) modelista or the trd version I will make those too.
There are many many pictures of the car out there now, I'm a 3d model developer as well, just have too many projects going on at the moment to do one. I'm a 3ds max guy, what do you use?
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
same..im using 3ds Max 2010
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
buzznasa
LOL PWR

Drives: Whiteout FR-S; Scion tC
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Hey guys, I have been a lurker here for months but usually keep to myself. I teach Visual Effects for Film and Television at Full Sail University and have been working on a Maya model in between lectures.

The best images that I have found for image planes are based off of some BRZ images. they were the closest to the same height off the ground but lens distortion, parallax, and a lack of a top view to get the "waist" of the car in-between the fender is proving to be a challenge.

You are welcome to the ortho views that I put together in Photoshop and that I am using for my Maya model. I have them on one of my sites here: http://www.fluidcache.com/wp-content.../brz_ortho.jpg.
buzznasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
+1

those are the exact photos i was using for my plates
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
buzznasa
LOL PWR

Heh, great minds...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
cassidy0998

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznasa View Post
Hey guys, I have been a lurker here for months but usually keep to myself. I teach Visual Effects for Film and Television at Full Sail University and have been working on a Maya model in between lectures.

The best images that I have found for image planes are based off of some BRZ images. they were the closest to the same height off the ground but lens distortion, parallax, and a lack of a top view to get the "waist" of the car in-between the fender is proving to be a challenge.

You are welcome to the ortho views that I put together in Photoshop and that I am using for my Maya model. I have them on one of my sites here: http://www.fluidcache.com/wp-content.../brz_ortho.jpg.

Very cool, thanks you sir! My brother graduated from Full Sail about 4 years ago. If I get some free time in the near future I may give it a shot. I'll keep my eyes open for a top view, maybe something will surface soon. Keep us posted on the progress!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
DannyS

Drives: Bmw325is
i started a model before they released any official photos so i have to tweek the whole thing, but i think it might be a good idea to use the photomode in GT5 to make reference pics, that way you can get all the angles you want and minimize lens distortion.
DannyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
DaReaper

Drives: SRT-4, Evo, IS-F
I am a 3DS max 2012 user but Im also good using maya. Thanks buzznasa for the link. I did make one with the first concept pics to use in a drift scene..not perfect so Im going to do it over.
DaReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
cassidy0998

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
i started a model before they released any official photos so i have to tweek the whole thing, but i think it might be a good idea to use the photomode in GT5 to make reference pics, that way you can get all the angles you want and minimize lens distortion.
very good idea!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Stigmaru

Drives: 2022 Halo White GR86
I would die for a 3D model... but only if it is a useful one that is compatible with engineering CAD software like Catia, Solidworks, Autocad, etc.

Graphics 3D models are pretty useless....other than being a pretty 3D picture.

if it was a Catia/Solidworks file or an IGES file... I can run it through CFD and get the actual flow behavior for you guys. I believe Maya can output into an IGES file...hopefully.
Stigmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
DannyS

Drives: Bmw325is
I made some reference pics in GT5,

here they are, feel free to use them at will.

Last edited by DannyS; 01-10-2012 at 06:36 PM.
DannyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
buzznasa
LOL PWR

Maya can do some fluid simulation but it isn't CFD. The Maya fluid system (and FumeFX for Max as well) uses shortcuts because they are trying to create a volumetric effect. I can turn on Velocity Draw within the containers and see something close to CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics for those not in the know).

I have worked with ProE, Solidworks, and other parametric 3D modeling packages when I was an engineer at Kennedy Space Center for my battlebots and while teaching at UCF. When in Maya I set my scene scale and model everything based on the measurements that I got from the spec sheets from this forum. Unfortunately, modeling in a graphics package is much different than a parametric package and in many cases more difficult to achieve accuracy sense we are more concerned with fooling the audience than realism.

Here is a screen grab from my laptop http://www.fluidcache.com/wp-content..._model_wip.png and you will notice that the waistline isn't there yet but all of the NURBS curves to define the basic shape are close based upon the orthographic views form the BRZ. I tried using the "see-through" concept car that Subaru had on display at the German Auto Show last year but the body shape doesn't match and the rear fender wells are narrower than the front which throws everything off.

Basically, this is a very complicated car to model due to all of the compound curves and curves that hide behind others in the orthographic views. I would love to work others here to create a solid model that we can use for fan ads, demo reel work, etc.

As far as using GT5's in-game camera system, I have been considering that too but I really wish they had the 86/FRS in Forza since I like the camera system is a little better and you can email yourself the digital images that you take through your Live account.