follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #141
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...off-scion-fr-s
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #142
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
I imagine he'll make Jalopnik eventually. This forum seems to be their source of FRS news after all.

Brett
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #143
Max Schnell

Drives: Lexus GS350 F-sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For those that mentioned "I will never take take off the traction control" or "I think I will get AWD" etc. you are not going to prevent this type of accidents by the type of car you drive or just leaving the traction control on. You cannot defy physics and at higher speeds even AWD and traction control will not save a person from stupidity.

I have driven through a few heavy snow storms/icy roads with my only car that had no traction control, open diff and RWD. The only cars that crashed during my trips home were the big Mercedes with their uber traction controls and 4x4s. Learn how to drive your car and don't be stupid and you will be fine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Max Schnell For This Useful Post:
MattR (06-16-2012), Metallic BRZ (06-17-2012), virobloc (06-16-2012), YukiHachiRoku (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #144
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Neutral, cars can be replaced... you can not. Sh!t happens. It sucks that you had to learn the dynamics of rear wheel drive in this way. As others have said, it took balls to come here and speak up. Hopefully some of the younger/less inexperienced folks will learn something from your example, and use caution until they know what to expect from the car.

If it is any consolation, you are not the first. Back in late April/early May, one of the cars in Scion Canada's test drive fleet was curbed pretty hard in a similar situation. There was no pole involved, so the damage wasn't as bad, but the fact remains...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #145
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
It's too bad you you couldn't have crashed the rear of the vehicle. At least then some BRZ limited owner could have salvaged your front end for a GT86 type swap.

But in all seriousness, glad you're o.k. and chalk it up to a life lesson learned.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #146
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
For those that mentioned "I will never take take off the traction control" or "I think I will get AWD" etc. you are not going to prevent this type of accidents by the type of car you drive or just leaving the traction control on. You cannot defy physics and at higher speeds even AWD and traction control will not save a person from stupidity. ....
I'm sorry, but as one of "those" my opinion is that I don't care if you are (name your favorite car driving expert here) believing that you can turn off traction control on a public road and endanger others is the definition of stupidity, as demonstrated here. I could care less what risks you take for yourself (I have all kinds of risky hobbies, including web forums) but doing something you know puts others in harm's way is wrong. Leaving them on may not help in every situation, but leaving them off CERTAINLY does nothing to protect others.

Just MHO, yours obviously differs, but I humbly suggest you rethink it.

EDIT: Please read Max's response here as well. I misunderstood his intent, but for others, my point still stands.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-16-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #147
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your story neutral! Takes some balls to admit your mistake..

This should make you feel a little better.. :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3oQMze4&feature=related"]Two Turkeys on Thanksgiving Wrecking their Corvettes in The Woodlands - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
Akai (06-17-2012), dhpinoy (06-16-2012), naticedog04 (06-16-2012), Prava (06-16-2012), sdiver68 (06-16-2012), Shagaliscious (06-16-2012), TPO (06-16-2012), YukiHachiRoku (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #148
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantKR View Post
People bitching about insurance: If you're clean and haven't done anything and you have a insurance company worth anything more than the dirt in my yard you'll be fine. Quit fucking complaining.
This.

Did you folks really expect 0 losses in the first year? You insurance company certainly didn't expect that with this or any car.

Insurance companies expect loses, and is built in. Every single model introduced has losses in its first model year, and every model year. It will, most likely, have an impact on the individual policy holder involved but unless the model experiences unusual losses, its not going to be a blip on their radar for the overall population.

There is nothing unusual about this. My Father-in-Law has sold cars for 30 years. In that time he has had 3 customers total cars within the first 20 miles of ownership, one just pulling out of the dealership (got t-boned at a stoplight)! As others have said, it happens.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #149
kayhettin

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
today is a sad day
Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #150
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. I must've hit the clutch pedal at some point because the car was still running when I stopped. Both airbags deployed. My passenger said he didn't even touch the airbag, I grazed it a little bit and it felt like I got hit in the face with a soft pillow. I must've been going 15-20mph at the impact. I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.

I'm 24 years old, been driving since 16, and this is my first accident/ticket. I was ticketed for "failure to maintain reasonable control", which honestly was extremely generous given the circumstances. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete ass out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.
None of us are perfect, we are all human beings. The simple fact that you admitted it, and told us what happened, that says a lot about what kind of person you are. It's also good to know that with TC off, even 20mph can still be an accident waiting to happen.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #151
DaKytchen

Drives: MIYAKO
You must learn how to drive first before you start showboating around... dam fWDriver .. wow
Old 06-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #152
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
And this is why you should practice with traction control off, in and empty, pole free parking lot, so you know how this car will behave, not on a public street!

Kudos though for fessing up. Pretty sure you've learned your lesson.
Past-'89 Civic Si ('93-'99)-'94 Civic Si ('99-'07)-'07 GTI(Lease)('07-'10)'98 Acura EL ('03-'13)Current-'12 Honda Fit Sport'10 Mazda5 ('10- Family car)No FR-S for me Kids in car seats still and just wouldn't work in an FR-S especially in winter.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #153
Celicadude

Drives: Celica gts
Damn that sucks, but at least everyone could walk away. Don't beat yourself up over it, we've all done stupid things like this at some point while driving. Just let this serve as a lesson to keep the spirited driving at the track and off the streets. You'd be surprised how much fun something as simple as autocross or even signing up for proper track instruction can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. I must've hit the clutch pedal at some point because the car was still running when I stopped. Both airbags deployed. My passenger said he didn't even touch the airbag, I grazed it a little bit and it felt like I got hit in the face with a soft pillow. I must've been going 15-20mph at the impact. I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.

I'm 24 years old, been driving since 16, and this is my first accident/ticket. I was ticketed for "failure to maintain reasonable control", which honestly was extremely generous given the circumstances. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete ass out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #154
Sambo

Drives: '13 FR-S Hot Lava MT
Garage
Neutral, thanks first for your honesty and second relaying the lesson.

Accidents happen, even with "good" drivers!

Closed Thread