follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #29
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
final thoughts for the night...

I am hoping this is just toyota-marketing throwing the FT-86 community a bone to chew on, to bide our time until the concept comes out. In other words: I hope toyota is just starting rumors to keep everyone buzzing so the following for this car doesn't lose it's momentum in the lull between the show last year and the reveal this year...I am crossing my fingers and holding my breath in hopes they haven't moved away from the Euro design....
Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #30
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
same here that thing is butt ugly.
To each their own...

Anyway, all this really means is that a car that already looked a lot like the FT-HS will just look a little more like the FT-HS -- no biggy.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #31
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
To each their own...

Anyway, all this really means is that a car that already looked a lot like the FT-HS will just look a little more like the FT-HS -- no biggy.
or as I said in a post that got deleted:

I have faith that Toyota will make this car look like a sport car, no matter what design they use.

ie: Its gonna look sporty. If you're already married to the current concept thats been floating around, then you're married to an image, and not the actual car itself (its performance, feel, etc.). The styling is something to think about, imo, but its no where near the important part.

Yes, design is important for sales...but if design takes precedence over performance, than all we have is a shined up turd.

I'm with Jordo on this one. Based on CALTY's FT-HS, if they take a fraction of that cars design and use it for the 86, then it'll look good.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #32
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I fell in love with the design that debut at Tokyo. Not ready to throw in the towel based on the outline shown in this post yet. However what I see so far is the same ho-hum bullshit Toyota has been putting out since they killed the Supra. If this ends up being another cookie cutter carbon copy, i'll be looking for a Legacy Spec B
Old 02-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #33
Slide
Banned

Drives: Toyota Aristo
I hope they don't change too much!! I like the current one!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #34
DrunkenMime

Drives: IS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I posted this today on 3 different sites. It sounds like the majority of people familiar with the magazine this is sourced from are saying this could very well be a hoax. There's even a guy on one of the sites that thinks he may be able to get some inside info, he apparently knows some people that work inside toyota. It's probably the fact that I love the Euro design so much, but I just can't accept that they would show the euro design, then show a G-sport of the euro design, get rave reviews for both, make a GT5 video with a working model of the euro design(not to mention GT5 won't be out until the end of '10), and then yank the thing. It sounds like there may be more to this. As soon as I find out anything else I will post it here. Stay tuned to this thread, because this news has all 4 sites I go to, buzzing on the verge of death threats...(ha, ha)
While what you're saying could be true and I could buy into it...look at what happened to the LF-A. The concept was beautiful and even though I like the production version, I preferred the concepts lines more. But they totally changed the front end and rear lights at the last second prior to production due to "aerodynamic requirements". If they can change a design of a $375000 supercar last second, surely they can change the design of an entry level $20k sports car...the performance of this new car is paramount to the visual cues I would think and would hope most of you guys think too. I mean look at the AE86. It's not really a total looker. We've all fallen in love with the performance and overall package/experience not the design.

don't get me wrong. I love the current design, but I'm not going to hold my breath....
Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #35
Nemesis

<-------------HOLDING BREATH
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #36
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
or as I said in a post that got deleted:

I have faith that Toyota will make this car look like a sport car, no matter what design they use.

ie: Its gonna look sporty. If you're already married to the current concept thats been floating around, then you're married to an image, and not the actual car itself (its performance, feel, etc.). The styling is something to think about, imo, but its no where near the important part.

Yes, design is important for sales...but if design takes precedence over performance, than all we have is a shined up turd.

I'm with Jordo on this one. Based on CALTY's FT-HS, if they take a fraction of that cars design and use it for the 86, then it'll look good.
I agree, I don't want a shined up turd either. But I don't want a high performance turd either. If it performs and looks like junk, I might as well get something else. Think about it, toyota's not claiming this will out perform any specific other vehicle. Todays performance vehicles are looking better then ever and still have power and performance. I agree, I definitely don't want a car that can't perform, but if it looks bad, then whats the sense. The average person that purchases this vehicle won't race it, other then some back road curves and stop light showdowns. Toyota needs this car to be recognized at a standstill. They have that with the ED2 concept. The photo provided in this story does not have the looks to bring the attention needed back to toyota. I know that they are claiming that the direction for this vehicle is the resurrection of the AE86 and that the AE86 is not looker, but performs. But to better a legend, I feel it will need looks as well. Especially with todays competition.

Last edited by Nemesis; 02-10-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #37
ack154
New Subaru Owner

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
I'm still in. Bring it on.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #38
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Gotta say it looks a lot more like a production design, if you know what I mean.

Like the previous design better but if it drives well I'll still get it.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #39
admiralhonshu

Drives: Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack154 View Post
I'm still in. Bring it on.
As long it aint like this, I'm fine. Well...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #40
Doty0588

Drives: '00 GC6
I definitely like the ED2 design better, would prefer that, but as a lot of ppl here are saying in a round about way, if this car performs as toyota says it will, I will buy it regardless of who designs it, only prefer they went with one design company's image over the other.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #41
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
If this car's over hang ...is anything like the s2000...

I think we'll be okay.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #42
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
lol this thread made autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/r...-of-the-ft-86/

Closed Thread

Tags
ft-86, ft-86 forum, ft-86 info, toyota ft-86