follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #29
hattrickey

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPTRD71 View Post
lol
I can hope right?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #30
RIPTRD71

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrickey View Post
I can hope right?
That's about all you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
She's stiff as a goose. I tried yanking out the motor too, that was pretty stiff as well. So.. i'll try the flux capacitor next.
RIPTRD71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
dhenson405

Drives: 13` argento FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lol is right. I just had to drop mine back off. 14 hrs after repair the check engine light decided to come on while driving to work. This car is a headache yet so fun to drive when its not in the freaking shop.
dhenson405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
i didn't bother taking it in to change pump until there is firmed solution. just drive. it's not that bad.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
Onealpha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You just have to keep telling yourself that it is a race pump and just like race pads, and other race stuff it is supposed to be noisy. After a while you won't be bothered anymore. That is how I learned to love my crickets.
Onealpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #34
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjcyber View Post
Who the f you think you are telling others that BS.

Ft86 isn't the only direct injection car on the market, but it is the only one with this insanity loud HPFP squeaking issue. It's NOT normal.

Spoken like someone with truly no mechanical understanding of the world around them. Save your explanations for things you understand.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #35
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
Spoken like someone with truly no mechanical understanding of the world around them. Save your explanations for things you understand.
I'm quite educated, but please enlighten us with an explanation about what I don't understand, since you seem to have all the answers...troll.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #36
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm quite educated, but please enlighten us with an explanation about what I don't understand, since you seem to have all the answers...troll.
Quote:
Who the f you think you are telling others that BS.

Ft86 isn't the only direct injection car on the market, but it is the only one with this insanity loud HPFP squeaking issue. It's NOT normal.
Quoted both posts so I don't put words in your mouth.

Generically speaking comparing Toyobaru's fuel pump to someone like say Volkswagen's IS comparing apples to oranges. They have completely different requirements, resources, and design philosophies. Yes the parts perform the same function, but it's kind of like looking at a Nissan Leaf and wondering why it loses a drag race to a Tesla, they're both vehicles with electric propulsion, why didn't Nissan make their car faster like Tesla?

It's subtle and looks simple on the outside but there's a lot of thought, time, and money sunk into every single part on this (or any) car. The bottom line is there is zero evidence this hurts performance or reliability, it's a quirk, a bullet point in the summary of this product that most people won't notice.

Edit: Skullworks is one of the more knowledgeable members if I remember correctly, just trying to curtail a flame war here.

Last edited by strat61caster; 07-12-2013 at 06:24 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #37
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
WOW,

More misinformation than a '60's brochure on the effects of marijuana.

No one should be speaking about Ethanol and the crickets, no one has "PROVEN" any co-relation, and that's because there isn't one.

I have a pump apart on my desk I can see the crickets. it is a design characteristic of the pump. there is a "washer" of sorts on the shaft of the pump that isn't restrained but is captured in the assembly. it moves with the pump piston, but not necessarily for any good reason, it looks as if it is there to keep the leak rate down by acting as a diffuser of sorts, it is on the low pressure side of the pump and would realistically only be exposed to the fuel that leaks down past the pump wall
Interesting.. But what would make it chirp only at certain times.. The fact that the mechanical sound changed is what's causing all the alarm. If it chirped from the start, it would just be a noisy pump.
I don't see it as an issue at this point. It works fine and the sound is not unusual for a HPFP. My friends Kia has DI and it chirps.. Even thru the hood blanket, which we don't have.. Another reason it seems louder than most.
The noise shift is contiguous in sound for some period of time.. Then reverts back to normal.. Maybe influenced by heat soak.. Each occurrence of my chirps happened after stopping the car for half hour or so and then using it again..
Just my observations so far.. Keep us updated on your findings...
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #38
CTB727

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Why does everybody keep getting a new fuel pump? There's DOZENS of cases of the crickets coming back even after replacement. For me personally, I'll wait til 2014 models come out IF there is any fix then. If not, I'll continue pumping ethanol free gas.
CTB727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #39
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Interesting.. But what would make it chirp only at certain times.. The fact that the mechanical sound changed is what's causing all the alarm. If it chirped from the start, it would just be a noisy pump.
I don't see it as an issue at this point. It works fine and the sound is not unusual for a HPFP. My friends Kia has DI and it chirps.. Even thru the hood blanket, which we don't have.. Another reason it seems louder than most.
The noise shift is contiguous in sound for some period of time.. Then reverts back to normal.. Maybe influenced by heat soak.. Each occurrence of my chirps happened after stopping the car for half hour or so and then using it again..
Just my observations so far.. Keep us updated on your findings...
What presumably would cause the chirping is the "washer" creating harmonics as it oscillates on the pump shaft due to the low lubrication provided by ethanol enhanced fuel. ToyBaru should be able to engineer a different design to alleviate this. And again, if this were "normal" as some morons have suggested, then the chirping would have occurred at the time of purchase; not after running several tanks of American grade gas though it.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
Uatu13

Drives: car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Doesn't bother me too much, except when I'm chirping next to car with that muscle rumble. lol

Also, why is it that every gas pump I look at have a sticker on it that says "May contain up to 10% Ethanol"?

I would think it either has it or it doesn't, not that it may contain some... wtf

Oh, and are there any safe fuel additives that we could use to provide more lubrication when the fuel does not??
Uatu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #41
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTB727 View Post
Why does everybody keep getting a new fuel pump? There's DOZENS of cases of the crickets coming back even after replacement. For me personally, I'll wait til 2014 models come out IF there is any fix then. If not, I'll continue pumping ethanol free gas.
The school of thought is that if you keep complaining the OEM will respond with a true "fix" when they look at the spreadsheet and see how much replacing all these pumps is costing them. If everyone stopped bothering after the first round I doubt a "green dot" pump would have come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uatu13 View Post
Also, why is it that every gas pump I look at have a sticker on it that says "May contain up to 10% Ethanol"?

I would think it either has it or it doesn't, not that it may contain some... wtf

Oh, and are there any safe fuel additives that we could use to provide more lubrication when the fuel does not??
Consumer grade gasoline is a soup, it varies on any given day from season to season. It's safe to assume all the gas we buy has some ethanol but it's unknown where that percentage content lands on any given day, the effort to actually give that data out just simply wouldn't be worth it, up to 10% is the safe way of specifying it.

Some people have used 2-stroke oil and claimed success. It's lubrication that's designed to be burned in motors but there may be unforeseen issues with how that stuff gets burned, how it interacts with materials in the engine as well as modern catalytic converters since 2-stroke motors at this point don't have very many emissions controls, they're mostly relegated to industrial equipment or recreational vehicles. Mazda guys swear by it for rotaries so there's some evidence that any ill effects are negligible.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #42
choi0706

Drives: t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Scion/Toyota/Subaru,

I just visited a dealership yesterday and had planned to purchase an FRS this weekend. But after seeing that you have allowed more then a year to pass and not taken care of this issue is ridiculous. These car owners bought your vehicle with extreme enthusiasm. They come to talk about your car and advertise your names daily. Even defending you in your lackadaisical handling of this situation. For anyone to buy a brand new car, especially a toyota, and experience sounds that would give outsiders the impression that the engine had issues within the first 100 miles is unacceptable. I have decided to stay with my current vehicle until a suitable replacement arises, or you otherwise get off your high-horse and take care of these people. They clearly cared enough about you to, in some cases, put everything they have into your vehicle. It's a sad day when someone turns from purchasing a Toyota because of reliability, or otherwise quality issues, within the first few hundred miles. Please take care of your people and show them the Toyota I knew growing up. Good luck guys.
normal noise for GDI HPFP.. everyone has it ford/gm/toyota/lexus/mazda/etc.. its more a matter of adding sound deadening..

my ford ecoboost f150 has crickets too..
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote