follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
TommyC

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2016 BRZ Head Unit Wiring Harness

Can't seem to find a solid answer on this since Subaru changed the head units for 2016.

I have a Kenwood nav double din head unit I would like to mount, but I can't find a wiring harness for it. I am wondering if the harness for the 2015+ Impreza premium with star link and 6 speakers will work, as I'm guessing that is the same setup that is in the BRZ now.
TommyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
You need [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1761-Wiring-Harness-Speaker/dp/B0002BEQJ8"]this[/ame].

Then you need a 28-pin harness, if you don't want to tap power to your factory amplifier. I'm working on a guide but waiting until I get a power module for my reverse camera. I haven't found a harness that just works out of the box, but I took [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXF5A74?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o06_s00"]this harness[/ame] and de-pinned it to salvage the wiring, then repinned it for the amplifier turn-on wire.

Don't forget there's no way to make it look right since the 2016 head unit has slash-cut trim and no trim kit to turn it into double DIN.

The two smaller harnesses are easy to figure out. The brown wire in the 28-pin you will want to attach to your new head unit's amplifier turn-on wire, or the red (ignition switched) wire from the larger of the two.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
tk1138 (01-23-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
TommyC

I'm not car audio savvy enough to quite follow what you are saying. However, I could possibly see paying you to wire me up something that would work.

Does my idea about using a harness for this stereo from an Impreza not work?
Old 01-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Unless it looks like the harness I linked you first, no it won't work. There's no super easy way to do this right now, and like I said, it probably won't fit your dash trim anyway. You'll have gaps on the sides of the radio.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
TommyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Unless it looks like the harness I linked you first, no it won't work. There's no super easy way to do this right now, and like I said, it probably won't fit your dash trim anyway. You'll have gaps on the sides of the radio.
Do you know if the OEM Kicker Sub/Harness option will work for the 2016s? If so, I'm wondering if there is any way to splice into that and use it for a custom setup.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with that? A custom sub and amp setup? I wouldn't trust the factory equipment to provide enough power if that's the case.

If you're trying to just do the head unit, you need what I already directed you to. I might be writing a DIY for the 2016 today.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
TommyC

Quote:
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with that? A custom sub and amp setup? I wouldn't trust the factory equipment to provide enough power if that's the case.

If you're trying to just do the head unit, you need what I already directed you to. I might be writing a DIY for the 2016 today.
I'll keep my eye out for your DIY.

I may also just try to get the Impreza harness to see if it matches up.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I'll keep my eye out for your DIY.

I may also just try to get the Impreza harness to see if it matches up.
Hey, do whatever you want, but don't come to me when you end up with a square peg in a round hole. As far as I can tell, the Impreza uses a 20-pin connector, which you definitely don't have.

The smaller Toyota harness pair I linked on Amazon is the correct set with the exception of one wire which Subaru relocated to a larger, mostly unused harness. The larger 28-pin harness I linked has wires that can be pulled out and relocated to cover the last wire you need to complete the work.

Don't take this the wrong way, because it's not meant to be a stab - if you're not comfortable with wiring, with a minimum understanding of how these things work on paper, you probably shouldn't be messing with wiring. I wouldn't want you to crimp the wrong stuff together and suddenly have a brick instead of a head unit.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
tk1138

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Quote:
You need this.

Then you need a 28-pin harness, if you don't want to tap power to your factory amplifier. I'm working on a guide but waiting until I get a power module for my reverse camera. I haven't found a harness that just works out of the box, but I took this harness and de-pinned it to salvage the wiring, then repinned it for the amplifier turn-on wire.

Don't forget there's no way to make it look right since the 2016 head unit has slash-cut trim and no trim kit to turn it into double DIN.

The two smaller harnesses are easy to figure out. The brown wire in the 28-pin you will want to attach to your new head unit's amplifier turn-on wire, or the red (ignition switched) wire from the larger of the two.
Do you happen to have full pinouts for the 28-pin and 24-pin connectors (assuming there's a 24-pin on the BRZ)?
tk1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:07 AM   #10
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
I don't think your head unit uses the same harness layout, what specifically are you looking for? A full pinout is difficult to get because of the way the service diagram app functions.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:41 AM   #11
tk1138

Quote:
I don't think your head unit uses the same harness layout, what specifically are you looking for? A full pinout is difficult to get because of the way the service diagram app functions.
For now, I'm wiring up a Pioneer Head Unit, and trying to avoid splicing, at least into the factory wiring. The audio channels are easy, but I'd like to get the reverse camera, and ideally the AUX IN & mic signals as well. I think I've found some documentation on the aux ins, but still working on the reverse... I'll start a new thread for the FR-S in a bit. I was hoping there would be some commonality.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #12
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
So be very careful with the reverse camera. I'm pretty sure it runs off of 6VDC based on other Toyotas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
tk1138 (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:31 AM   #13
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Alright, I've just done some initial testing on my custom harness I've lovingly dubbed "the fire hazard behind my dash".

I can confirm that the backup camera does in fact run off of +6VDC. I have working reverse camera video feed using a relay and a voltage regulator bought from O'Reillys and Amazon respectively. I am doing some more research on the 28-pin harness tonight and will follow up soon.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #14
tk1138

To the OP, you might look at this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Connection-Harness-Kenwood-Connector/dp/B00829TRP0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1453621439&sr= 1-1&keywords=Scosche+Direct+Connection+Harness+87-Up+Toyota+To+2003+Kenwood+16+Pin+Connector"]Amazon.com: Scosche Direct Connection Harness 87-Up Toyota To 2003 Kenwood 16 Pin Connector: Automotive[/ame]
and this:
http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/11443.html

You might also need an antenna adapter and/or a USB adapter.