follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #1737
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Its not going to happen; beside, why would you want it to be? That thing is huge.

Considering the last supra weighed 3500lbs in 1998, and assuming it has more modern tech and can better its predecessor in some ways (stock at least), I would assume the new Supra will weigh in the 3800-4000lbs like the GTR. The z3 was the Z version during the last Supra and was 600lbs lighter (2900lbs) and had a 4" shorter wheel base and 20" shorter length. It could happen that the roadster will be getting bigger and the Supra will get proportionally smaller but the Supra was heavier in its day than the M3 so I would assume the same today, and hope it isn't the size of a roadster or 86 (our wheelbase is longer than a Supra was).

The m8 will be its heaviest with the turbo v12 and supporting mods but we have no clue what it will weigh, especially in smaller powered trims. I bet most would prefer a light car, but throw a turbo straight six in our car with beefier transmission, transaxle, suspension, brakes and tech and even our car would weight considerably more and that is on a tiny frame n body by todays standards. I will expect a wheelbase closer to 110". Imagine the pic above with a hatch rear, or in general, less trunk dimension.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 08-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #1738
Irace86.2.0

Like i said before, if the new z gains wheelbase and is the size of a 4 series convertible with a roadster shell then that seems like a bad strategy for bmw. By the pics the Supra n Z4 seem to share a wheelbase. We will see.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #1739
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Considering the last supra weighed 3500lbs in 1998, and assuming it has more modern tech and can better its predecessor in some ways (stock at least), I would assume the new Supra will weigh in the 3800-4000lbs like the GTR. The z3 was the Z version during the last Supra and was 600lbs lighter (2900lbs) and had a 4" shorter wheel base and 20" shorter length. It could happen that the roadster will be getting bigger and the Supra will get proportionally smaller but the Supra was heavier in its day than the M3 so I would assume the same today, and hope it isn't the size of a roadster or 86 (our wheelbase is longer than a Supra was).

The m8 will be its heaviest with the turbo v12 and supporting mods but we have no clue what it will weigh, especially in smaller powered trims. I bet most would prefer a light car, but throw a turbo straight six in our car with beefier transmission, transaxle, suspension, brakes and tech and even our car would weight considerably more and that is on a tiny frame n body by todays standards. I will expect a wheelbase closer to 110". Imagine the pic above with a hatch rear, or in general, less trunk dimension.
out of curiosity have you driven a M6? its a boat. the closest thing BMW makes that drives like the MK4 is the M3/4 and Z4 M coupe. not to mention the current M6 cost $120k+.

by using the Z4's bones for the new Supra it should help keep the weight down. most people want a Japanese corvette and not a full size luxury cruiser. thats what the Lexus LC is for. not everything needs to be big, fat, and ugly like the R35.

Quote:
Like i said before, if the new z gains wheelbase and is the size of a 4 series convertible with a roadster shell then that seems like a bad strategy for bmw. By the pics the Supra n Z4 seem to share a wheelbase. We will see.
BMW has said the new Z4 will be slightly larger than the outgoing model. BMW insiders have hinted at a F-type competitor. which is only about an inch shorter than the MK4.

Last edited by gymratter; 08-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-20-2017), krayzie (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #1740
RIĐO

Drives: orange car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think I will call Butters to help me freeze myself untill the release.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #1741
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
out of curiosity have you driven a M6? its a boat. the closest thing BMW makes that drives like the MK4 is the M3/4 and Z4 M coupe. not to mention the current M6 cost $120k+.

by using the Z4's bones for the new Supra it should help keep the weight down. most people want a Japanese corvette and not a full size luxury cruiser. thats what the Lexus LC is for. not everything needs to be big, fat, and ugly like the R35.

BMW has said the new Z4 will be slightly larger than the outgoing model. BMW insiders have hinted at a F-type competitor. which is only about an inch shorter than the MK4.
That made me laugh, but in all seriousness, the NSX is not the best example of your typical GT car, right? A mid engine exotic, not a front engine, rwd, comfortable and somewhat luxurious touring vehicle.

Just taking the old Supra at 3500lbs then add increased safety standard equipment and chassis rigidity to it, increased electronics and systems for stability controls, increased emission control systems, increased electronics for cameras, monitors and navigation, and increased components if it requires more cooling because of higher power outputs or anything else, I can't imagine it weighing the same.

I haven't driven the M6 or the GTR, but if the m3 then vs the m3 now is several hundred pounds heavier and larger in dimensions then I can only imagine the new Supra would be bigger too than the mkiv. They could downgrade the Supra's attributes from the mkiv like how they did with the 350z from the 300zx, or they could switch the focus from a track enabled grand touring car to a more nimble, lightweight GT car.

I'm not really advocating anything except that I thought it would be odd for the Z4 to look like the M6 convertible and be bloated to the size of the 3 series convertible; that seems odd for a roadster to be so big, and if it is still small then it would be odd for the Supra to be so small.

Just another tid bit. Weight isn't necessarily a bad thing for handling. The GTR does well enough, right? The Camaro ZL1 LTE was faster than the Corvette Z06, right? And it weighs, what, like 400-500lbs more, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
gymratter (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #1742
gymratter

Quote:
That made me laugh, but in all seriousness, the NSX is not the best example of your typical GT car, right? A mid engine exotic, not a front engine, rwd, comfortable and somewhat luxurious touring vehicle.

Just taking the old Supra at 3500lbs then add increased safety standard equipment and chassis rigidity to it, increased electronics and systems for stability controls, increased emission control systems, increased electronics for cameras, monitors and navigation, and increased components if it requires more cooling because of higher power outputs or anything else, I can't imagine it weighing the same.

I haven't driven the M6 or the GTR, but if the m3 then vs the m3 now is several hundred pounds heavier and larger in dimensions then I can only imagine the new Supra would be bigger too than the mkiv. They could downgrade the Supra's attributes from the mkiv like how they did with the 350z from the 300zx, or they could switch the focus from a track enabled grand touring car to a more nimble, lightweight GT car.

I'm not really advocating anything except that I thought it would be odd for the Z4 to look like the M6 convertible and be bloated to the size of the 3 series convertible; that seems odd for a roadster to be so big, and if it is still small then it would be odd for the Supra to be so small.

Just another tid bit. Weight isn't necessarily a bad thing for handling. The GTR does well enough, right? The Camaro ZL1 LTE was faster than the Corvette Z06, right? And it weighs, what, like 400-500lbs more, right?
i wasnt really trying to compare it too the NSX in the sense of the MK5 should be like that. main point was just how big, ugly, and fat the R35 is :p

the new Supra doesnt have to weight more. the MK4 weighted less than the MK3. technology has improved; since BMW switched to the new CLAR platform they have been able to save about 200lbs+ vs the previous model.

i totally get your point about being either too small or two larger. i think a compromise was made by both companies. i have it a feeling will be larger than the Z4 but at the same time slightly shorter than the MK4. i dont think a bigger Z4 would be that odd. the car has grown over each generation. and the F-type at a 176in length is sexy in my book. my guess would be in the mid 170 inch range. that is roughly the same length as the 2 series which they used as an early test mule.

sure it handles just fine, but its just not fun to drive. just for fun, the new type R beats the R35 around the Nürburgring.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-20-2017), krayzie (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 12:38 AM   #1743
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
i wasnt really trying to compare it too the NSX in the sense of the MK5 should be like that. main point was just how big, ugly, and fat the R35 is :p

the new Supra doesnt have to weight more. the MK4 weighted less than the MK3. technology has improved; since BMW switched to the new CLAR platform they have been able to save about 200lbs+ vs the previous model.

i totally get your point about being either too small or two larger. i think a compromise was made by both companies. i have it a feeling will be larger than the Z4 but at the same time slightly shorter than the MK4. i dont think a bigger Z4 would be that odd. the car has grown over each generation. and the F-type at a 176in length is sexy in my book. my guess would be in the mid 170 inch range. that is roughly the same length as the 2 series which they used as an early test mule.

sure it handles just fine, but its just not fun to drive. just for fun, the new type R beats the R35 around the Nürburgring.

I think the new M3 is lighter because they dropped the V8, right? And was the Type R faster than a GTR or the fastest FWD? I think the fastest FWD. It did it in 7:43, right? The GTR is much faster than that. An 08' GTR did it in 7:26 and 15' GTR Nismo did it in 7:08. It is interesting to look at the times because the Type R is faster than like an 02' Zonda and 09' Audi R8, and many others. Crazy how technology progresses. Hopefully the new Supra will be sized right. We will see.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

Edit: Just a point on weight, Friction=coefficient of friction times the normal force where the normal force is the weight or mass times the acceleration due to gravity. Maybe more weight means more friction. We all know how a light car can struggle to get traction. Maybe there is something to be said about having weight when aero downforce isn't available.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 08-21-2017 at 12:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
gymratter (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #1744
gymratter

Quote:
I think the new M3 is lighter because they dropped the V8, right? And was the Type R faster than a GTR or the fastest FWD? I think the fastest FWD. It did it in 7:43, right? The GTR is much faster than that. An 08' GTR did it in 7:26 and 15' GTR Nismo did it in 7:08. It is interesting to look at the times because the Type R is faster than like an 02' Zonda and 09' Audi R8, and many others. Crazy how technology progresses. Hopefully the new Supra will be sized right. We will see.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

Edit: Just a point on weight, Friction=coefficient of friction times the normal force where the normal force is the weight or mass times the acceleration due to gravity. Maybe more weight means more friction. We all know how a light car can struggle to get traction. Maybe there is something to be said about having weight when aero downforce isn't available.
sorry i misread, it was the original R35.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...t-around-the-n

the weight differences between BMW's I6 turbo and NA V8 is only like 20lbs or so. the weight saving that i was referring to is the CLAR platform that is used in the new G11 7 series and the G30 5 series.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #1745
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Crazy how cars have gotten so huge over the years. The Skyline has always seem to be a big car to me since I first saw one in the 80's but the latest GTR is just ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
gymratter (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #1746
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Crazy how cars have gotten so huge over the years. The Skyline has always seem to be a big car to me since I first saw one in the 80's but the latest GTR is just ridiculous.
R35 is 4.5" longer in wheel base, 2" longer in body length, 4.5" wider than the R34. Considering all the Rocket Bunny kits on the market, I doubt anyone would care if their car was wider. The 2" longer is negligible.

It is pretty hard to throw in an extra 300hp in a car without making it bigger n heavier, and that would be true regardless of whether they included all the modern standards for saftey, emissions and features. Also, the designers n engineers developed the car around being heavier. He basically states, if weight plus aero downforce equals total weight then an F1 car at speed weighs the same as the GTR.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top...no-san-mr-gt-r
Old 08-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #1747
rcowboy

Drives: 2017 BRZ Sport-Tech
Going to admit that we were allowed to go into strip clubs in the mid-90's before we were even of legal age. Obviously have the ability to explain one's self but to cut to the chase,

it seems like the majority of the rippers around the time before the original NSX ceased, they were a lot leaner and lighter.

Generally speaking the ideal model in 2017, is a lot different than 1927, 1957, 1987 and so forth. So, I'm not complaining.

On a somewhat related note, the new age cars can be very distracting while driving with all the touch screens and electronic gizmos. I can not believe some guys have the nerve to be playing with their smart phones while sitting front row at the dance lounge.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #1748
gymratter

Spied in California

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyo...stateside.618/

Last edited by gymratter; 08-22-2017 at 04:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #1749
rcowboy

Drives: 2017 BRZ Sport-Tech
Several days old news but Automobile Magazine reports that BMW is targeting the Z4 to be 3000-3200lb. So with airbags and such it appears to be then 3150-3350lb.

Trump earlier this year suggested he would impose a 35 percent tariff on auto imports. So a 60,000 dollar Z4 could increase to over 70,000 dollars if this thing is made outside of the US.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #1750
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I live in California and the only camo-cars I see are electric hatchbacks.

Not fair.

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose