follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
STZ

Drives: '15 WRB BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subaru Maintenance B

I was wondering if you guys know how crucial it is to get service B. Upon inspection, the two main things are a "brake service" which includes taking apart the brakes and lubricating the parts, and an engine air filter change.

I have a reusable AFe air filter so I clean that myself, and service B is recommended every 20000kms/1y. However, I've skipped service B twice now since my car is still at 15000kms and the brakes have been functioning completely fine.

Normally, I wouldn't be one to skimp on car maintenance, but service B costs $480 (price is pretty normal for Canadian Subaru dealerships) while A only costs $130, so the huge increase in price along with my relatively low mileage makes me hesitant. I'm planning to get service C on time though, which includes a brake fluid flush along with "brake service" at the 3 year mark regardless of mileage.

The last thing is that looking through the new 86's, and the previous FR-S', maintenance schedules have no regular recommended maintenance for the brakes like the BRZ despite being the same car fundamentally.

Do you guys think I can just skip it until service C?
STZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Are you sure it's a brake service and not just an inspection?

For a strictly street driven car at 15k kms, I'd skip it without worry.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm not familiar with the Canadian A B & C schedules.

However, if your brakes are working OK, I'd be tempted to leave them alone for the time being.

I'll ring up @Tcoat for a reading on this ...... since his car is Canadian and he has 100,000 plus miles on it. Although, he may not service his car's brakes till 3 out of 4 start throwing off sparks ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STZ View Post
I was wondering if you guys know how crucial it is to get service B. Upon inspection, the two main things are a "brake service" which includes taking apart the brakes and lubricating the parts, and an engine air filter change.

I have a reusable AFe air filter so I clean that myself, and service B is recommended every 20000kms/1y. However, I've skipped service B twice now since my car is still at 15000kms and the brakes have been functioning completely fine.

Normally, I wouldn't be one to skimp on car maintenance, but service B costs $480 (price is pretty normal for Canadian Subaru dealerships) while A only costs $130, so the huge increase in price along with my relatively low mileage makes me hesitant. I'm planning to get service C on time though, which includes a brake fluid flush along with "brake service" at the 3 year mark regardless of mileage.

The last thing is that looking through the new 86's, and the previous FR-S', maintenance schedules have no regular recommended maintenance for the brakes like the BRZ despite being the same car fundamentally.

Do you guys think I can just skip it until service C?
If you winter drive the car the service B is not a bad investment. If not I would leave it and do the Service C on time as you said.

On a side note the Service B cost me $317 (all in) at Toyota.
strat61caster (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
STZ

Drives: '15 WRB BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If you winter drive the car the service B is not a bad investment. If not I would leave it and do the Service C on time as you said.

On a side note the Service B cost me $317 (all in) at Toyota.
I only drive it pretty seldom in the Winters, mostly taking my Mazda3 which has dedicated winter tires most of the time.

In regards to your side note I asked them about brake part lubrication and they said that they do it as a part of the brake fluid flush service (so aka service C for Subaru).
STZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
ikuGANO

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just do a B service every 2 years, especially wanting to avoid having a caliper seizing up due to lack of maintenance. Worse case scenario, that happens and you'll have to spend more money on rotors, pads, caliper...as opposed to just having the brakes serviced. If dealership labour cost too much, you can always bring it to your local mechanic, but have them give you a copy of the invoice indicating what repair/service was done for future record. (Sometimes Subaru/Toyota Canada would like to see these documents in case of a warranty issue)

I like to do a B service myself after every Winter season just to be on the safe side. All the salt and snow that our cars go through on a yearly basis is just too much.

ikuGANO is offline   Reply With Quote