follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #239
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforaddison View Post
In leekys first post on this thread he said it was based on the LF-A gearbox, not the IS-F.

Anywho...

I don't really have any interest for automatics, BUT I am kind of curious to find a video of the GT86 with this fancy new automatic to see what all the hype is about. Could it really be a super quick shifting automatic that may be a manual killer? Maybe even a auto vs manual 0-60 or 1/4 mile run to show just how great it may be
I mean we know it's an AISIN automatic, with similar construction to the one in the Miata. They all share this AISIN tranny, just which one. I suppose. Anyone can clarify?

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #240
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforaddison View Post
In leekys first post on this thread he said it was based on the LF-A gearbox, not the IS-F.

Anywho...

I don't really have any interest for automatics, BUT I am kind of curious to find a video of the GT86 with this fancy new automatic to see what all the hype is about. Could it really be a super quick shifting automatic that may be a manual killer? Maybe even a auto vs manual 0-60 or 1/4 mile run to show just how great it may be
Aki's one of our Nihongo translators, plus common sense says it will be torque-converter based, not the trans out of a 1/3rd of a million dollar supercar.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #241
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Aki's one of our Nihongo translators, plus common sense says it will be torque-converter based, not the trans out of a 1/3rd of a million dollar supercar.
Yeah I'm not arguing. It just gets a little confusing because it keeps going back and forth. Either way its "based" off of a very high end transmission, so its got me guessing if it'll be one of those transmission that are actually quicker then those manuals in some cars.

Of course it won't be a transmission borrowed from either car priced as high, but they could have taken some of the stuff they learned and maybe even a few parts from one. People driving the car are already saying its hard to chose between.

I'm not debating on witch one I'd rather have, I need my clutch, but I am curious.
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #242
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

It was people here on this forum that convinced me to keep driving manual, even if I have a leg injury so no automatic for me XD but the automatic is what I guess it would be to be honest. The same as the one in the Miata I'm willing to bet on it that it's similar and or uses the same method and parts.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #243
Chokonen888

Drives: Seibu Shinjuku Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeky View Post
Also i wanted to say that my translator is awesome and she didnt pass details on to me. All the details were said to me by people working for Toyota.
Nowhere else are we seeing these "facts" reported, quite the opposite, so someone dropped the ball here. Are you sure it wasn't just some random Japanese guy in a Toyota Jacket wanting to speak English to a foreigner? Believe me, it happens...
Chokonen888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #244
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

At this point just wait like a day lol

Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #245
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
It was people here on this forum that convinced me to keep driving manual, even if I have a leg injury so no automatic for me XD but the automatic is what I guess it would be to be honest. The same as the one in the Miata I'm willing to bet on it that it's similar and or uses the same method and parts.
The automatic in the 86 is based off the excellent automatic in the Lexus ISF. That is the quickest shifting auto in the Industry. There is nothing in this car based off of anything in the miata.

Leeky said the transmission was based off the LFA's single clutch automated manual gearbox. That is still possible since there are cheap cars that have dual clutch trannies...ie ford focus, and Hyundai veloster. They could have put in a single clutch tranny In the 86. We will find out by wensday.

But my gut from what I have seen is isf based tranny.

The Porsche dual clutch tranny (pdk) shifts faster and the Porsche 911 is faster with the 7 speed pdk vs the 7 speed manual.

I think people who choose the auto will be happy...

Me? Manual is the only way...
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #246
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Trip The automatic in the ISF is the AISIN AA80E Lexus doesn't make it's own transmission AISIN makes it for them. They Also make Transmission for alot of other car companies like Mazda now the Miata with it's AUtomatic AISIN TB61 SN shares parts with the ISF transmission.

Therefore, yes it's nothing based on the Miata, but the 86 has a chance that it will get the same AISIN part, infact the ISF and Miata share parts for transmission.

That Execellent Automatic and the Manual is Aisin made, the manual in the 86 is literally the updated transmission of the S2000 as far as Aisin is concerned.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #247
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Trip The automatic in the ISF is the AISIN AA80E Lexus doesn't make it's own transmission AISIN makes it for them. They Also make Transmission for alot of other car companies like Mazda now the Miata with it's AUtomatic AISIN TB61 SN shares parts with the ISF transmission.

Therefore, yes it's nothing based on the Miata, but the 86 has a chance that it will get the same AISIN part, infact the ISF and Miata share parts for transmission.

That Execellent Automatic and the Manual is Aisin made, the manual in the 86 is literally the updated transmission of the S2000 as far as Aisin is concerned.
Well, if they share parts, is it that bad? The idea of it being on par with the ISF isn't exactly terrible. Its just terrifying if they say using the automatic has the same feeling one as the current Camry
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #248
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy51 View Post
Well, if they share parts, is it that bad? The idea of it being on par with the ISF isn't exactly terrible. Its just terrifying if they say using the automatic has the same feeling one as the current Camry
well I think that's the question we're all waiting to find out, because the Transmission maker makes all the transmission for all Toyota, so how will it feel? we know it's all the same parts, now it's about the tuning. And so far from what we've heard, it's like Training Video: ISF Leeky: LFA

Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #249
Leeky
3S-GTE Junky

Drives: Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
Guys, just to clear up the gearbox and production number information came from the head of advertising in Japan.

But... he did try telling me that the LFA was a V8....and it wasnt until i insisted it was a V10 that he thought about it for a second and said yes he was mistaken. So its quite possible he made mistakes about other things but like i said i will confirm the numbers, gearbox and hand made information with him again when i see him tomorrow.

Also just a bit more information i forgot to mention. He said that for Toyota they want this car because their image is too "Family" and they want to inject the excitement back into the Toyota brand that has been lacking since the Celica, Supra and MR2 went.

He totally said that there is no profit being made on this car. So with that in mind it makes no sense for them to make a huge number of these cars.

The 86 is going to raise the brand image and help to sell their regular models where there profitability is.

Also because manurfacturers are supposed to 'average' a certain level of c02 emissions across their range i believe they can only really make a certain number of these cars before it starts to drag down their average which is very good at the moment thanks to cars like the prius.

Aston Martin only started making the IQ based Cygnet to bring their average down as currently their smallest engine is a V8.

I think limited numbers is a really good thing I was not sure about buying an 86 brand new as they would heavily depreciate just like the 350z/370z. But keep the numbers down and the rarity keeps their value up

After seeing the car i am almost certain i am going to order a brand new one for the release date in April. But i want to get the full TRD options list too as from the pictures this really finishes the car off very well and will again help to keep the value up.

I just hope that the TRD parts will be available in the UK. If not i hope that all the contacts/friends i have made in Toyota Japan and Toyota UK will be able to help me get all the TRD parts

I really really hope they have a TRD 86 at the show tomorrow!
Leeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #250
Username

Drives: 6MT Raven FRS, Toyota SR5 V6 4x4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Leeky!
Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #251
peazs

Drives: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe
Thanks for the update.
peazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #252
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
limited number is not great for a car that's under $30k US. there are ferraris that are produced in greater numbers than 1000 a year worldwide.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote