follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #15
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
FWIW, I have clearbra on the front 1/3rd from the previous owner. It's helped with minor rock chips and the like, but the transition from smooth paint to orange peel clearbra looks like absolute shit within 5 feet. If I were to get it done myself, it would be the whole hood or nothing at all.
from my research, if the clearbra peels or change in color, either it was really old(for the 86, probably not) or it was a really shitty job. the yellow/orange are dried adhesive reacting to air and sunlight. newer clearbras shouldn't orange/yellow because they changed the adhesive formula. I'm planning on full front wrapping which mean there won't be a cruddy line going across the middle of my panels/hood. When they do full wrap, they should be tucking the wrap over the edges of the panel all the way to the other side(or they suppose to...)
slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
sounds like the previous owner didn't get paint correction done before the clear bra was added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyphen View Post
from my research, if the clearbra peels or change in color, either it was really old(for the 86, probably not) or it was a really shitty job. the yellow/orange are dried adhesive reacting to air and sunlight. newer clearbras shouldn't orange/yellow because they changed the adhesive formula. I'm planning on full front wrapping which mean there won't be a cruddy line going across the middle of my panels/hood.
I believe I am not explaining myself correctly, my clearbra is neither peeling nor changing color. There is an inherent, albeit slight, difference in both surface finish and index of refraction between a painted surface and a plastic wrapped surface. It bothers me.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #17
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
from my research, if the clearbra peels or change in color, either it was really old(for the 86, probably not) or it was a really shitty job. the yellow/orange are dried adhesive reacting to air and sunlight. newer clearbras shouldn't orange/yellow because they changed the adhesive formula. I'm planning on full front wrapping which mean there won't be a cruddy line going across the middle of my panels/hood. When they do full wrap, they should be tucking the wrap over the edges of the panel all the way to the other side(or they suppose to...)
correct, another thing is that it needs to be maintained. cleaned once a week and a fresh coat of wax once a month. I've noticed that the clear synthetic wax seems to do the best. it can lose its luster without that.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Keep in mind there can be a big difference in price depending on which PPF is used.

I would recommend a self healing PPF like Xpel Ultimate.
The price for a pre-cut kit for full hood, fenders, mirrors is $809.95
The front bumper kit is $419.95.

All that aside the quote you got does seem a bit high, $325 just for tint?
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kotu100 For This Useful Post:
slyphen (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
btw if you aren't set on ceramic tint and don't mind using a film without uv blocking properties, Andy over at prestige auto tint does amazing work at a fair price, it was 250ish to tint my wife protege (a lot more to tint than on our car) and i've used him before on my mazda3 and i've sent a couple friends his way. every job comes out perfect and he offers a lifetime warranty on his work and the film.
http://prestigetinting.com/
slyphen (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
asphaltfrs2014

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I would say its worth it to get just the front bumper done, stopping right at the bumper lines and not extending further up the hood or fenders. When clear bras extend upwards, thats when you tend to run into that line where wax wants to collect and if you ever remove it the wear on the exposed paint would look differently. Just my opinion.
asphaltfrs2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #21
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
Keep in mind there can be a big difference in price depending on which PPF is used.

I would recommend a self healing PPF like Xpel Ultimate.
The price for a pre-cut kit for full hood, fenders, mirrors is $809.95
The front bumper kit is $419.95.

All that aside the quote you got does seem a bit high, $325 just for tint?
the one they quoted was xpel
Old 01-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #22
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yes, it's wortht it. I got mine done after getting enough chips, which is very noticible on white. Although, make sure you get the whole fenders/hood done. The line annoys me as well. I went 1/3 on the fender, and I'm already on my second big rock chip on the lip of the wheelwell. Never experienced paint so fragile as this one.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #23
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Self-healing Clearbra

Can't help with insight on the costs you've mentioned... but I can tell you that you should check around and try to find the brand that is "self-healing." That way, when small nicks, etc. happen, they will self-heal.

I have the "Factory OEM" Clearbra that is NOT self-healing... and now after two years of wear... the Clearbra is beginning to show some wear-and-tear.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #24
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
Can't help with insight on the costs you've mentioned... but I can tell you that you should check around and try to find the brand that is "self-healing." That way, when small nicks, etc. happen, they will self-heal.

I have the "Factory OEM" Clearbra that is NOT self-healing... and now after two years of wear... the Clearbra is beginning to show some wear-and-tear.

the price was for xpel self healing brand.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #25
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I agree with @Turbo95eg6 in that the paint on our cars is just unbelievable in its softness, and lack of resilience. It's the biggest complaint I have when people ask me what I don't like, or am unhappy with about my car.

I purchased a clear bra, and I feel that it is absolutely worth it. Our cars are so low, that almost any car at normal, sedan-level height is going to be capable of kicking stuff up at our bumper - even when taking every precaution that you can to drive a safe distance back fro mteh car in front of you, etc.

Living in the Northwest seems to be especially shitty in that our roads are completely chewed up, we seem to share back-roads, and neighborhood streets with large semi-trucks the likes of which I've never seen elsewhere in the country, and to boot we call out that fleet of trucks to shit gravel all over the roads throughout the winter.

After only four months of ownership and precarious driving the front of my car was completely pelted - it made me really sad. I purchased my clear bra last year with some of the money from my tax return, and while there are a few things about the install that I think were shoddy, there isn't a single day where I don't feel it was worth it.

I had an empty milk gallon jug fly out of the back of a pick up truck in front of me that hit my car square in the bumper - there was no damage from it, but had I not had the clear shield I feel like that would have left some sort of nasty scratch or marring.

I definitely think it's worth it, but the price you were quoted was definitely too high.

I would try to shop around a bit - I have heard good things about TCT wraps, and I was told that they offer a Suntek line that is identical to the Xpel Ultimate shield (which I have). My detailer and friend Tom works there I believe, he told me to mention his name to get a good price there since I was inquiring about wanting to get my hood done - not sure if that will work for you, but you could at least ask them for a quote as I believe their prices are decent regardless.

Also, if the quality shop you're referring to getting it done at is 503 Motoring - don't go there; they caused damage to my car while I was getting my clear bra installed; the owner is a sociopath that will deny his shop causing anything of the sort even if you have evidence, and support - they reluctantly paid to have the damage they cause to my car fixed, but made me sign a waiver saying they did not cause it, and only "repaired it in good faith" before they would give me my keys back. They're also crooks with their pricing. I had to pay for the front "package" deal they had which included door edges that I told them I didn't even want done (I had the factory edge guards, anyway), and they refused to reduce the price any for wanting to exclude that part, insisting that their packages offer the "most aggressive pricing", and therefor the price won't change (even if you don't want or need an area of your car done that is included in their "packaging").

Last edited by Ammunition; 01-20-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammunition For This Useful Post:
slyphen (01-20-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #26
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
I agree with @Turbo95eg6 in that the paint on our cars is just unbelievable in its softness, and lack of resilience. It's the biggest complaint I have when people ask me what I don't like, or am unhappy with about my car.

I purchased a clear bra, and I feel that it is absolutely worth it. Our cars are so low, that almost any car at normal, sedan-level height is going to be capable of kicking stuff up at our bumper - even when taking every precaution that you can to drive a safe distance back fro mteh car in front of you, etc.

Living in the Northwest seems to be especially shitty in that our roads are completely chewed up, we seem to share back-roads, and neighborhood streets with large semi-trucks the likes of which I've never seen elsewhere in the country, and to boot we call out that fleet of trucks to shit gravel all over the roads throughout the winter.

After only four months of ownership and precarious driving the front of my car was completely pelted - it made me really sad. I purchased my clear bra last year with some of the money from my tax return, and while there are a few things about the install that I think were shoddy, there isn't a single day where I don't feel it was worth it.

I had an empty milk gallon jug fly out of the back of a pick up truck in front of me that hit my car square in the bumper - there was no damage from it, but had I not had the clear shield I feel like that would have left some sort of nasty scratch or marring.

I definitely think it's worth it, but the price you were quoted was definitely too high.

I would try to shop around a bit - I have heard good things about TCT wraps, and I was told that they offer a Suntek line that is identical to the Xpel Ultimate shield (which I have). My detailer and friend Tom works there I believe, he told me to mention his name to get a good price there since I was inquiring about wanting to get my hood done - not sure if that will work for you, but you could at least ask them for a quote as I believe their prices are decent regardless.

Also, if the quality shop you're referring to getting it done at is 503 Motoring - don't go there; they caused damage to my car while I was getting my clear bra installed; the owner is a sociopath that will deny his shop causing anything of the sort even if you have evidence, and support - they reluctantly paid to have the damage they cause to my car fixed, but made me sign a waiver saying they did not cause it, and only "repaired it in good faith" before they would give me my keys back. They're also crooks with their pricing. I had to pay for the front "package" deal they had which included door edges that I told them I didn't even want done (I had the factory edge guards, anyway), and they refused to reduce the price any for wanting to exclude that part, insisting that their packages offer the "most aggressive pricing", and therefor the price won't change (even if you don't want or need an area of your car done that is included in their "packaging").
the place is called Northwest Auto Salon, got really good reviews and from what I can see, they got really nice garages and seem very professional. I suppose they charge more because they deal a lot of supercars (a few in the lot when i visited the place)
The Following User Says Thank You to slyphen For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
the place is called Northwest Auto Salon, got really good reviews and from what I can see, they got really nice garages and seem very professional. I suppose they charge more because they deal a lot of supercars (a few in the lot when i visited the place)
Ah - for some reason I thought you were in the Portland area. 'veh eard good things about NWAS as well, but yeah - it seems as though that is the shop that all of the super cars in the area get detailed at, so I imagine their prices are going to be significantly higher. For the $1,700 you were quoted - I feel like you could pay to have the whole front bumper repainted to look like new, and then find another shop to do the same clear bra for that same price all together.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammunition For This Useful Post:
slyphen (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #28
slyphen

Garage
hm its interesting... i just called accutint in bellvue for quote, they gave about the same offer as NWAS. maybe just a liiitttle cheaper. i guess that is the price nowadays.