follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List
gmookher

Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #253
wtout86

Drives: Whitout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
The 3rd gear shift is really pissing me off it happens more once gb is properly hot.
Yep this is the exact same thing I am experiencing. Is this something you think I should bring up at the dealership for warranty? I have brought the car in before with the factory fluid and they drove it, "ya there's something not right but we don't have another manual frs to compare it to, we'll get back to you" was their response. Its been a couple months and no response.
wtout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #254
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
next few days here in AZ
Attached Images

gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #255
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtout86 View Post
Yep this is the exact same thing I am experiencing. Is this something you think I should bring up at the dealership for warranty? I have brought the car in before with the factory fluid and they drove it, "ya there's something not right but we don't have another manual frs to compare it to, we'll get back to you" was their response. Its been a couple months and no response.
5K+ miles on the Pentosin now and 2nd gear still grinds occasionally. Still a little resistance going into 2nd too when cold. I've tried shifting every which way I can think of too (fast, slow, hesitating, double-clutching, low RPM, high RPM, etc).. it will simply grind whenever it wants to.

I don't expect the dealership to care enough to look into it.. it might just be the luck of the draw.. some trannies will grind, others won't.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #256
gmookher
Banned

Look, pentosin will help 99% with the 2nd gear synchro, but to expect 100% IS asking alot!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #257
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yea, not really blaming the grinds on any fluids.. 2nd gear grinded occassionally from day one, and i don't expect fluids to fix that. The Pentosin feels way better than the facotry fluid when its cold, and i'm used to the grinding by now.

I'd hoped the 2nd gear resistance would go away completely however.. but it still there too sometimes. Still, its vastly improved from how it was before I put Pentosin in there (before, it was impossible to shift into 2nd when cold). But I just chalk that up to the tranny having a stubborn 2nd gear in general. It's not enough to keep me from enjoying the drive though.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #258
bigjake

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i used Redline atf mixed with synchromesh, thats what james clay runs, and it always worked great in my e46.
bigjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #259
gmookher
Banned

iirc your e46 calls BMW- MTF-2, just like my e36. Do not use MTF-3 or 4.
for the record, BMW MTf2 = Pentosin MTF2, its just repackaged, no change in formula.

pleanty of e46 M3s track away theur lives on this fluid, so if you feel better running a cocktail thats great, but the right stuff is some of the best stuff out there
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #260
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I just changed mine today.. will report after breaking the oil in. All oils were flushed and change. Motor=motul, Tranny=Pentosin MTF2, diff=motul..

Update: Thanks a LOT! BREAD AND BUTTER as some guys saying it that tried this! Car felt even more responsive! Shifting keeps on getting better! the crunch is just fading away as I put more miles. I think my ride got boosted for giving him healthy oils! both of us are happy!:happy0180:

Last edited by tintumz22; 01-11-2013 at 03:07 AM.
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #261
GoSharks

Drives: BRZ Limited, WRB, 6 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintumz22 View Post
I just changed mine today.. will report after breaking the oil in. All oils were flushed and change. Motor=motul, Tranny=Pentosin MTF2, diff=motul..

Update: Thanks a LOT! BREAD AND BUTTER as some guys saying it that tried this! Car felt even more responsive! Shifting keeps on getting better! the crunch is just fading away as I put more miles. I think my ride got boosted for giving him healthy oils! both of us are happy!:happy0180:
Good Call:happy0180:
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #262
schtebie

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited
Quote:

How many miles have you put on it since the flush?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #263
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtebie View Post
How many miles have you put on it since the flush?
around 50miles now and counting. it is there. I just really felt it. driving normally getting into corners from 4-3-2 or 4-2 the notchiness or crunch is beginning to fade away since yesterday. It's improving. Even this morning, 40degrees here it shifts better than yesterday morning before I did the flush. And the grabby feeling on 3rd starts to diminish too.

driving aggressively is better than ever. the mechanical feel of the tranny is still there but the notchiness and crunch on those gears before is what makes it feel not right but after the flush it is really an improvement. big improvement for me.
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tintumz22 For This Useful Post:
schtebie (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #264
schtebie

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited
Quote:
around 50miles now and counting. it is there. I just really felt it. driving normally getting into corners from 4-3-2 or 4-2 the notchiness or crunch is beginning to fade away since yesterday. It's improving. Even this morning, 40degrees here it shifts better than yesterday morning before I did the flush. And the grabby feeling on 3rd starts to diminish too.

driving aggressively is better than ever. the mechanical feel of the tranny is still there but the notchiness and crunch on those gears before is what makes it feel not right but after the flush it is really an improvement. big improvement for me.
I was just curious - I did the MTF2 swap too and I'd only put about 30-40 miles on it since (my commute is really short). I put another 20 on today and the improvement is becoming more noticeable now.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #265
gmookher
Banned

Awesome
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #266
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I know this idiot was banned for a lot of reasons but deep down inside, I hope he was banned for his inability to write coherently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
you dont actually actually think..

because an oil is rated thicker it protects better? this is not 1975 anymore, oil tech has changed
No I dont mean to be rude but its really not that simple, unless you elect to see it that way

you car runs 0w-20, and by your logic you'd need thicker oil for real protection right? many 0w-20s out protect 5w-20 and ow and 5w-30s too
now there are guys on this board using valvoline and castrol titanium. sorry that way out of spec-nothing could be further from our subie or toyota oils, but if you go by SAE they think they are using the right oil. FAIL. thats 0w-20 but the wrong oil for this motor, no moly, no zinc, nothing.

Sorry high tech oils protect better than lower tech oils and so ling as youre within Kinematic v range, going by SAE rating alone is plain noob.

all you skeptics-look I dont balme you, if I did not know better or understand oils, I'd not use a oil that at first glance appears to not be right , you should keep your factory fill, and enjoy 2nd gear as you have it. meanwhile bing yourself up to speed on what this oil is suppose to do. this isnt a hypoid gear application. learn and dig deeper into understanding the lube!

I will enjoy mine my way. wait till you find the unobtanium toyota then let me know if fresh factory fill is better. I'm a betting man, I bet it wont be.

as they say YMMV, until you understand what EP and FM additives are and the difference between ester and hydro based oils...

I will both stand by my research and finding and usage of this superior 80weight oil, and enjoy the benefits of my aisin shifting as sooth as the getrags I own. and that says volumes, for those of you who own those trannys too.

in this instance a UOA is useless, what you need is a VOA of pento vs the factory fill. youre not trying to match the factory formula, youre trying to exceed its wear and flow properties, and I have.

/end of thread, and yeah youre welcome to those of you who try it or buy it.