follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #23969
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Hahahaha

Well, if you're bored, read my build thread! I just started it! It's for my other race car!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...31#post1826131
You are going to be an awesome engineer, Guff. People (whoever hired all the engineers in my company for one) reaaaally don't understand how important some form of passionate hands on experience is to the field. Our lead engineer can't even measure with a tape measure properly (zero exaggeration), but hey degree right?

Have you sorted out the new weight distribution for the B series, and spring rate/frequencies targets for it?

Because titanium.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Giccin (07-02-2014), Guff (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #23970
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
You are going to be an awesome engineer, Guff. People (whoever hired all the engineers in my company for one) reaaaally don't understand how important some form of passionate hands on experience is to the field. Our lead engineer can't even measure with a tape measure properly (zero exaggeration), but hey degree right?

Have you sorted out the new weight distribution for the B series, and spring rate/frequencies targets for it?
I literally rack my head about those things hahaha, it keeps me up at night.

Weight distribution is a huge issue right now, and the only thing I can think of is doing a huge fuel cell in the rear to offset the weight. I need to look up the original weights and distributions so I can get an exact idea of how much more weight I'm putting over the front end (it might be less than I think because of Iron v. Aluminum) and then estimate from there. Scales would be awesome, but I honestly have too much on my plate to worry about that right now.

The coilovers I have in front are only height adjustable, and the rear suspension is using the factory independent cone/trumpet setup. I'm very limited on choices for suspension so I have what I have, and I will probably get a proper setup with proper spring rates and adjustability after I get a feel for the car. I will likely also get a rear coilover kit with an accompanying subframe, which will also allow me more adjustability in the rear, both with height+damping and with toe/camber, etc.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #23971
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Weight distribution is a huge issue right now, and the only thing I can think of is doing a huge fuel cell in the rear to offset the weight. I need to look up the original weights and distributions so I can get an exact idea of how much more weight I'm putting over the front end (it might be less than I think because of Iron v. Aluminum) and then estimate from there. Scales would be awesome, but I honestly have too much on my plate to worry about that right now.
Damnit Guff you are living the dream. I'm seeing Wilwood brakes on the project car. If I had unlimited money to blow on my MR2 I'd find a way to get some Wilwood calipers in there.

Iron vs. aluminum? Front heavy? What are you doing to the Supra?

Front heavy won't be a problem for my future car though, I decided I'm going 996 with blown 3.4 + Boxster S 3.2 swap. The Boxster engines are more plentiful because people want to upgrade to the 3.4 or 3.6. Supposedly they bolt straight on and you can get them for under 5k, for a total cost of maybe 15k if I can find a dead 996 close by. Kind of a lot of money for a grad student to conjure up but not undoable.

Last edited by serialk11r; 07-02-2014 at 11:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Guff (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #23972
JasperNoone
Banned

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Damnit Guff you are living the dream. I'm seeing Wilwood brakes on the project car. If I had unlimited money to blow on my MR2 I'd find a way to get some Wilwood calipers in there.

Front heavy won't be a problem for my future car though, I decided I'm going 996 with blown 3.4 + Boxster S 3.2 swap. The Boxster engines are more plentiful because people want to upgrade to the 3.4 or 3.6. Supposedly they bolt straight on and you can get them for under 5k, for a total cost of maybe 15k if I can find a dead 996 close by. Kind of a lot of money for a grad student to conjure up but not undoable.
There's a reason the 986 3.2L is plentiful. Some people say the IMS isn't an issue, some say it is - either way, I don't know that I'd trust it. If you're doing a 996, just go for the goal and pickup a 996 Turbo - you should be able to get one for ~$45K or the price of a CPO Cayman S.

I'm considering when I get the time and money to do a Boxster S V8 swap.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #23973
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Oh lol, I was talking about the Mini. The original 850cc motor was all iron and the B18 going in is all aluminum.

And damn that.sounds pretty cool! How do those 3.2s take boost though? I imagine if you have to touch the bottom end, things can get expensive real fast.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #23974
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperNoone View Post
There's a reason the 986 3.2L is plentiful. Some people say the IMS isn't an issue, some say it is - either way, I don't know that I'd trust it. If you're doing a 996, just go for the goal and pickup a 996 Turbo - you should be able to get one for ~$45K or the price of a CPO Cayman S.
For 45k I'd just buy a 997, and I probably wouldn't have 45k to blow anytime soon. I'm not that attached to the idea of having a 996. I have a thing for pre-facelift 996s, that was the hot new car of my childhood. I would just save up for a GT3 but they don't have rear seats, and emergency rear seats is something that I am starting to value after driving a 2 seater for 2 years.

Quote:
Oh lol, I was talking about the Mini. The original 850cc motor was all iron and the B18 going in is all aluminum.

And damn that.sounds pretty cool! How do those 3.2s take boost though? I imagine if you have to touch the bottom end, things can get expensive real fast.
Wait how is the weight distribution a problem again then? The B18+trans is probably not much heavier and you're moving it back, where it belongs.

Your concept of power and mine are rather different since you have a turbo Supra and I have a 1ZZ-FE, the 3.2 will be adequate as is, but I would be very happy with some bolt ons bringing it up to 300hp, especially with some weight loss. My idea of a good engine is NA with a huge intake cam but not a lot of overlap to put all the power up top and have good efficiency at low rpm but no torque. It's like an extra set of gears lol.
Guff (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #23975
JasperNoone
Banned

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
997? $45K? Expensive non-turbo beetle. Buy 996 turbo beetle, enjoy more.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #23976
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
So on Saturday I went rafting with friends, put my phone in a plastic bag...which leaked T_T

I think the mainboard is okay after a couple alcohol washes but the screen is still shorted out somewhere. I'm having massive smartphone withdrawal right now.
Stick your phone in a sandwich bag of dry rice overnight.

I've dropped my smartphones in water, ran one over, and even left one in a folded lawn chair all winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #23977
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Stick your phone in a sandwich bag of dry rice overnight.

I've dropped my smartphones in water, ran one over, and even left one in a folded lawn chair all winter.
I took it apart, took off all the mini heat sinks, did a few more alcohol rinses and sun bakes and then tested. Screen is shot, SIM card reader is shot, charging circuit is shot. I may or may not have destroyed the screen by turning it on prematurely (it gave me a couple green flickers so I have my doubts that it was salvagable), but I think the charging circuit and SIM card reader were shot already.

It took an extended bath in some very dirty water and there was pretty heavy corrosion (read: bits of gold plate flaking off) so I guess I couldn't have expected much. I bought an old phone for 100 bucks and will sell this one on Ebay, could probably fetch like 50 bucks for replacement part value. AT&T paid most of the cost of the phone at any rate and they'll be paying again in 10 months.
Allch Chcar (07-05-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #23978
NickD

Drives: '05 Corvette
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
This is what it feels like when I fix things
Old 07-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #23979
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperNoone View Post
997? $45K? Expensive non-turbo beetle. Buy 996 turbo beetle, enjoy more.
I don't think of it as a turbo beetle :P

Said "turbo beetle" also doesn't have that much horsepower in stock form, the Carrera S 3.8 DFI can almost match the hp with a couple bolt ons.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #23980
ihaskrayon
The Comedian

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hmm... we got new parking stickers. Should I take 0086 or 0069?
The Following User Says Thank You to ihaskrayon For This Useful Post:
NIN69 (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #23981
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
The Following User Says Thank You to sklimo For This Useful Post:
KslayFRZ (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #23982
KslayFRZ

Drives: 2013 Frs asphalt
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
hate the sin...not the sinner

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?