follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #29
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Definitely powers through it, It helps quite a bit to help with traction, it just makes it noticeably slower.

You don't need to do anything with the wire to the light. It's off by default. If you were to ground it, The light would come on.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #30
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Definitely powers through it, It helps quite a bit to help with traction, it just makes it noticeably slower.

You don't need to do anything with the wire to the light. It's off by default. If you were to ground it, The light would come on.
Got it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #31
BRX

The CAN BUS translator is done and is supposed to be shipped today. Ignition, AC, cruise control and the throttle pedal will be the only things needed to be wired other than the CAN BUS. All of the above use the same signals on both platforms, in this case a 2014 86 and a 2008 Tundra ECU.

Once everything is wired I can then reprogram the Tundra immobilizer for a new key and it should fire right up!

Here is a video of the CAN BUS translator in action. The engine and transmission mounts after powder coating along with the transmission adapter.

Engine bay was wiped clean for final installation and starter testing with the flywheel/flexplate and South bend clutch on.

We should have the engine and car running this week or early next week as the fuel system is fairly straightforward on the 5.7L with a single feed line and a single return line. Once we confirm everything is in order custom coolant and AC lines will be made and then finally modifying the hood for the additional 3.7 liters under it.https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a19ad12...98448934~2.mp4

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
DustinS (11-27-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #32
bulldog11267mad

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited manual
Garage
looking good! can't wait to see a video of it moving
Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 AM   #33
BRX

With holidays in the states last week I still haven't received the CAN BUS translator and holidays here this weekend we weren't able to get everything installed in time but it's definitely gonna start and move under its own power next week.

Engine is in for the last time. Crankcase is done and can hold up 8 liters of oil along with the modified oil pick up tube. AC lines are done. All accessories are on the engine. Radiator and AC condenser are mounted and barely clear the compressor thanks to the low profile fans. Fuel lines are sorted out.

Things left to do:
Oil filter remote mount
Engine harness wiring
ECU Reprogramming
CAN BUS translator wiring
Serpentine belt

All are pretty simple and should be knocked off in a couple of days.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
DustinS (12-01-2017), gtpvette (12-01-2017), ILLSMOQ (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #34
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Pushers will look cool from the front.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #35
86mod

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Coming together nicely. Good to see something a bit different.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #36
BRX

We ran into a few bumps which is expected. I was way to optimistic in getting it running last week but we're getting there. Pretty much everything is done and installed:

- Oil pan / crankcase
- Oil filter adapter and remote mount
- All Accessories
- Fuel lines
- A/C lines
- Almost all water lines

We could not find a hose that would work between the filler neck and the thermostat housing and since both are plastic and so close to each other fabrication was not an option. We welded a filler neck on the water jacket pipe but didn't like how it came out. So I finally gave in and ordered an aluminum Koyo filler neck that we can work with.

We still have to make an intake and most likey it will be routed under the headlight.

With that said, the car is getting put back together as the intake pipe and the filler neck are easy to access later. Harness is going in tomorrow, then wiring the CAN BUS module, fuel pump, throttle pedal, cruise control, and A/C.

Pics of it's current state (water jacket will be fixed)

Last edited by BRX; 12-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
DustinS (12-12-2017), Iceman (12-17-2017), Kenny_LongWrench (12-11-2017), Sportsguy83 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #37
BRX

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update.

The car is back on it's wheels, we started wiring the ECU(s) last week and after 3 long days of diagrams and dissecting harnesses it finally fired up!

However we have discovered a few things along the way. Even though the diagrams look similar with the exact same abbreviations and wiring, some stuff did not work between the two systems.

The throttle pedal didn't work even though it shares the same plug as a Tundra pedal and all the wires have the same tag name. Fortunately a tundra pedal did work immediately and it has the same exact mount to the firewall. It's currently being modified so the pedal is in the same location as OEM.

The fuel pump also didn't want to cooperate. Hooking it up to the Tundra ECU didn't work. With the 86 ECU it primed but didn't pump fuel as the 86 ECU doesn't know when the engine is running. So now the fuel pump stays running with the key in ignition.

The CAN BUS translator seems to have been dead on arrival. Another one is on the way so the dash and power steering will have to wait.

Now that everything else is wired up, hooking up teachstream to the OBD port the software recognizes the engine ECU from a 2007 Tundra. Other than some emission and transmission related codes everything else is working as it should. This also means my local tuner can tune it as if it was a Tundra and delete all the codes mentioned above

We discovered a small oil leak in the crankcase but nothing crazy. At least we know we have oil pressure lol.

The car is a huge mess of wires at the moment so I haven't taken any pictures recently (yes a bigger mess than the picture below from last week). Here is a short video of it firing up for the 3rd time before rigging up the fuel pump. Enjoy the open headers

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a41434f...034621_380.mp4

Old 12-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #38
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
The fuel pump also didn't want to cooperate. Hooking it up to the Tundra ECU didn't work. With the 86 ECU it primed but didn't pump fuel as the 86 ECU doesn't know when the engine is running. So now the fuel pump stays running with the key in ignition.
Amazing progress in such a short amount of time!! Nicely done. Thanks for the info regarding the fuel pump. I was hoping mine would run off of the FRS ECU but based on your comments it sounds like it'll need to be reworked.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #39
BRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
Amazing progress in such a short amount of time!! Nicely done. Thanks for the info regarding the fuel pump. I was hoping mine would run off of the FRS ECU but based on your comments it sounds like it'll need to be reworked.
Its pretty easy to do actually. You'll find the fuel pump ECU behind the passenger seat and the plastic panel behind the door. If I remember correctly it had 4 wires going into it. Cut the grey one and hook it up to the ground next to the fuel pump ECU. Cut the green one and tap into the the red wire. Don't cut the red wire. Now the pump will come on with the key in ignition and stay on.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #40
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Good stuff! excellent documentation for future reference
Old 01-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #41
BRX

Car is all wired up except for the can bus translator, should be here next week. Once it gets here all the wiring will be tidied up and sleeved.

Throttle pedal is installed and working just like factory (it was painted after taking the photo below). I drove it today out of the shop and got it towed to an exhaust shop and drove it onto their ramp. Clutch is perfect, brake works, no power steering yet because of the can bus.

Anyway the exhaust should be done tomorrow and then It's time for a proper intake pipe.

-Willis-86touge (01-11-2018), DustinS (01-09-2018), Sportsguy83 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #42
BRX

Exhaust is done along with the intake. Not the best welding but hopefully the boogers won't show after paint. I'll just leave the vibrant muffler and tips unpainted. The headers got bungs for O2 sensors and heat wrapped since they're very close to the steering column and the starter motor.

Filter is located right behind the grille I was hoping we could fit it behind the fog light but it was too long and I couldn't find a decent filter locally that would fit. Silicon couplers will be color matched later lol.

Next, the last piece of the puzzle: a hood!

Last edited by BRX; 01-10-2018 at 03:39 PM.
BirgeyT1 (01-11-2018), DustinS (01-11-2018), Sportsguy83 (01-10-2018)