follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #127
Alberto_HTX

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
Good to hear Corsa helped you out!

Interested to hear a clip of that setup, I imagine it will be loud!
Why do you image it would be loud? Through all the research I've done the components I've chosen should give me an aggressive rumble but I don't think it will be obnoxiously loud or droney.

I'll definitely try to post a clip of revs and maybe drive-bys because I haven't read or seen anyone with this specific combination.
Alberto_HTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #128
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Corsa designed the system with the rest of the exhaust left stock, so the no-drone tech is optimized for that specific setup. Since you are changing the head-back, I could see it being loud, even with the cats and resonator.

Different car and engine, but people with the Corsa system for the WRX report similar things.

Everyone has different tolerances to noise. Hopefully it works out for you!
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #129
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto_HTX View Post
Why do you image it would be loud? Through all the research I've done the components I've chosen should give me an aggressive rumble but I don't think it will be obnoxiously loud or droney.

I'll definitely try to post a clip of revs and maybe drive-bys because I haven't read or seen anyone with this specific combination.
I met up with a local owner who had a catless MXP header (slightly UEL), aftermarket front pipe and overpipe and it was quite tolerable to me, and clearly to him as well, since he had it as his daily. So considering your front pipe will be catted and resonated, yes it will be loud but not embarrassingly so
Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #130
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Maybe because you, yourself, said it would be loud...?

Quote:
They overnighted me the gasket I needed free of charge and now I'm on my way to a loud car
Old 04-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #131
Alberto_HTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Maybe because you, yourself, said it would be loud...?
Ahhh I see. I think I read that post in a different tone because the "!" threw me off.does that make sense?
Old 04-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #132
oppiee

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I met up with a local owner who had a catless MXP header (slightly UEL), aftermarket front pipe and overpipe and it was quite tolerable to me, and clearly to him as well, since he had it as his daily. So considering your front pipe will be catted and resonated, yes it will be loud but not embarrassingly so
Yes I am running MXP catless header and nameless resonated frontpipe/overpipe combo with high flow cat.

It is loud, but its not crazy loud. You will have drone for sure, but the car sounds raw. Its nice
oppiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #133
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ahhh I see. I think I read that post in a different tone because the "!" threw me off.does that make sense?
I was going off the fact you said "on my way to a loud car"

I consider the Corsa to be decently loud even with the stock setup, but it's not unpleasant to me because the absence of drone/ most of the volume is not being pumped into the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppiee View Post
Yes I am running MXP catless header and nameless resonated frontpipe/overpipe combo with high flow cat.

It is loud, but its not crazy loud. You will have drone for sure, but the car sounds raw. Its nice
Do you have any videos of this setup?
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #134
Bugguy73

Drives: 2016 wr blue brz
I just did an 800 mile road trip from Portland to Astoria to crescent city back to Portland with an ft86 catted uel header, oft v3 stage 1 and corsa catback. It never gets obnoxious. Once you start cruising, the volume drops to a mild droan or no droan at all. Straight 8 hour days on highway 101 with stops at cool views. The only time volume comes in is on acceleration and never gets louder than the radio. It’s also a pleasant roar when accelerating. I will say that it can be brutally loud on cold starts when temps are i the 40s, but only for the 45secs it takes to cold start.
Bugguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:11 AM   #135
Alberto_HTX

Quick update:
Finally got all the parts installed on my FRS. Have to fix a small exhaust leak but aside from that and a stripped bolt on the OEM over pipe the install went smoothly. Currently the car is nearly silent at idle and there is no drone at causing speeds. When you get on it it opens up and gets pretty loud. Subie rumble was really brought out by the UEL by JDL. After I fix the leak I'm going to tune it with the OFT 2.0 and try to get some video clips.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto_HTX For This Useful Post:
tehShirt (05-16-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #136
andrewsbutt

Drives: 2017 BRZ LTD
Garage
Quote:
Quick update:
Finally got all the parts installed on my FRS. Have to fix a small exhaust leak but aside from that and a stripped bolt on the OEM over pipe the install went smoothly. Currently the car is nearly silent at idle and there is no drone at causing speeds. When you get on it it opens up and gets pretty loud. Subie rumble was really brought out by the UEL by JDL. After I fix the leak I'm going to tune it with the OFT 2.0 and try to get some video clips.
Were you ever able to fix the leak? I installed mine yesterday, and theres a leak where the midpipe clamps to the muffler. I can't seem to push in the pipes together any further.
andrewsbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #137
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
might be a production error...mine just barely fit at that spot. there was about a 1mm hole to be seen at the slit of the joint, pushed it in really hard and it went just enough to not be able to see darkness in the slit...however that pulled back the muffler at an angle. also had to cut off about 1/4 in on passenger side muffler exit so the tip would actually fit in the exhaust cut out on the bumper.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aluma007 For This Useful Post:
andrewsbutt (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #138
andrewsbutt

Drives: 2017 BRZ LTD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
might be a production error...mine just barely fit at that spot. there was about a 1mm hole to be seen at the slit of the joint, pushed it in really hard and it went just enough to not be able to see darkness in the slit...however that pulled back the muffler at an angle. also had to cut off about 1/4 in on passenger side muffler exit so the tip would actually fit in the exhaust cut out on the bumper.
I used a mallet and was able to close the gap, so no more leak! But I see...that sucks man, sorry to hear that you had to do that. Mine is misaligned now too. Which rn seems impossible to level out. Might just take it apart and do it all over again.
andrewsbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #139
Aluma007

yeah, i was a little disappointed for the money spent but its sound and looks make up for a little misalignment. all in all way better than invidia or others with single wall tips.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #140
Aluma007

Anyone else get a nice BRAAAPPP on a 4k+ shift from 1st to 2nd?? It's quite addicting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aluma007 For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (07-15-2018)