follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #729
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys I am not trying to rain on your parade here. Please continue as if I hadn't dropped in.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #730
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
Apparently real men don't use pop-off valves.
I must not be a man, I ran WOT switch/pop-off valve/RPM window switch when I used to run nitrous
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #731
fenton

Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
As a potential customer I really want to make a point clear. I could not convince myself to buy this with the present controller setup. If things could be tuned to give a linear change in power vs throttle input and boost could be limited in the lower rpms, I think this could work well for me. Combine that with a 36 volt system and I think this kit would be perfect. But as it is, the low end would be too much for my 91 octane and I don't like the thought of jumping 90 ftlbs in a mm of pedal travel. That would make it very hard to drive.

Fenton could you talk to the developer and see if he has any plans to implement these things? I understand these will add to the cost.
I will try and take a video that shows how easy this thing is to drive. It's not like Bam you step on a grenade. If you have driven a low spooling turbo this is the exact same.

The thing is you don't want to keep adding to the cost.... You might as well go Fi if you are going to add another 1000 bucks of stuff.

Rob said there is a progressive controller that you speak of but it is 700 extra and could do partial boost on rpm and throttle position.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #732
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
When do you anticipate a kit on the market? This is really cool stuff.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #733
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I will try and take a video that shows how easy this thing is to drive. It's not like Bam you step on a grenade. If you have driven a low spooling turbo this is the exact same.

The thing is you don't want to keep adding to the cost.... You might as well go Fi if you are going to add another 1000 bucks of stuff.

Rob said there is a progressive controller that you speak of but it is 700 extra and could do partial boost on rpm and throttle position.

I don't think that's at all out of the question if the system would be capable of say 36 volts and holding 4-5 psi until redline. Of course this would also require relocation of the start system battery, but I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

Are the three included batteries the same?

Edit, I wouldn't have any problem relocating the battery myself. I wouldn't expect that price to include a kit for that.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #734
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I don't think that's at all out of the question if the system would be capable of say 36 volts and holding 4-5 psi until redline. Of course this would also require relocation of the start system battery, but I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

Are the three included batteries the same?

Edit, I wouldn't have any problem relocating the battery myself. I wouldn't expect that price to include a kit for that.
Inorder to maintain that boost you would need about 150,000 rpm on the current compressor or more and that is way out of the spec of both the compressor, controller and motor. Upgrade all three to give you that and you are way over the price of a turbo not to mention you will probably be looking at intercooling at that point. Not to mention you now need WAY more battery power, and im not talking double, you would need probably 3 to 4 times the current capacity and you would run it dry so fast.

As you can see this gets out of hand very quick. Right now it is a awesome boost in power for the price.

All i can say is im having a blast and generally surprising people on the streets as this thing picks up speed damn fast!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Bu-Tang (07-09-2013), Calum (07-09-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #735
Wild Weasel

Drives: 2001 Sunfire GT + 2007 Mazdaspeed3
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Hey guys I am not trying to rain on your parade here. Please continue as if I hadn't dropped in.
No worries at all, Pete. I really am just trying to get on the same page with you and address the concerns you have.

I fully understand the issues when it comes to controlling the power and the way it behaves. Now... as fenton mentioned... it's not a beast to handle. It's not like you risk all that power suddenly coming on and losing control of the car. You only mash the pedal when you want the maximum power and, while it's very noticeable, it's not alarming when it comes on. I described it on the MCM forums as being exactly like the scene from the original TF&TF when Dom hits the nitrous switch and gets slammed back into his seat... except with only about 10% of the drama. It's a very noticeable increase in power, but it's not gonna throw you for a loop.

The other issue is the availability though, and you seem to be under the impression that you need to wait between uses or that sometimes it's just not available. That hasn't been the case at all for either fenton or myself. It just never happened.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #736
Wild Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
All i can say is im having a blast and generally surprising people on the streets as this thing picks up speed damn fast!
Hey fenton... through this whole thread I don't think I've had much interaction with you at all. So... if you haven't tried it yet... go arm the system (car off), pop the hood, and activate it for half a second.

I'm betting you can't do it without grinning.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #737
fenton

When the tech gets there and we can get 5 or 6 psi on a setup akin to this watch OUT!
5 or 6 psi would probably be way over 300whp given the current equation considering non-parasitic boost. When 1.5psi equal 40hp LOL. Your clutch would get murdered too at this point and dont forget about the fuelling system
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #738
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
Hey fenton... through this whole thread I don't think I've had much interaction with you at all. So... if you haven't tried it yet... go arm the system (car off), pop the hood, and activate it for half a second.

I'm betting you can't do it without grinning.
Oh ya i have done that, before the tune it would trip a code because the pressure was 5psi with the engine off.

Its actually pretty loud, maybe i will take a video and post it up for you guys
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #739
Wild Weasel

Don't bother. I tried. Maybe you can do better, but I found the sound in a video just doesn't do justice to the drama. In person though... and I've tried it on a few different people... you just can't do it and not chuckle. It's very unexpectedly hilarious.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #740
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Any news when this might be out?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #741
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
'duty cycle' may help define it.
NOS has 0%, once its empty that's it.

FI has potentially 100%, if provisions are made to the car to handle the relentless strain.

The FTS has ~15%-20%, the dump pack and system has the capacity similar to NOS. The opportunity re-charge provided by traffic and speed limits is similar in duty cycle.

Since the FTS compressor is nearly a constant speed unit its density output is also constant regardless of engine rpms. Nitrous is also constant density.
Anyone else remember the early Need for Speed: Underground games with "recharging" NOS?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #742
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
@fenton , with the amount of interest this is generating we really need some solid development info from the Phantom guys. Is there any way you could ask one of the guys you're working with to get on this forum and start posting in this thread?

It's already getting to a point where it's annoying to keep reading about how awesome it is without any real development updates directly from the manufacturer or information regarding when others will be able to purchase this kit for themselves.

It would also be really nice to get some of our questions answered directly by a Phantom rep. I know I'm not alone on this.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
bedabi (07-09-2013)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive