follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 AM   #1
CY86

Drives: they all have 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Revisting the phantom electric supercharger

Hello all.

I’ve been lurking around the gt86 forums for a while and I hope to purchase a GT86 sometime in 2019.

Like some others, the electric supercharger threads are what has caused me to eventually take the plunge to finally make an account here and try to contribute. I realize that I arrived a bit late to the party, as I’ve spent the last week or so reading through all the posts just to catch up. And I also think that @Robftss, while doing some amazing, dare I say, “heroic” work, perhaps should have been a bit more business savvy regarding choices made. Because what’s amazing is that doing some simple quick searches online, I’ve found 3 companies that are actually producing e-chargers and one company that is producing them as an aftermarket kit. I’m sure if I go deeper there will be more, and I also believe that this “niche” market will spin off some fantastic advancements in technologies surrounding this product. And, while I get this product isn’t for everyone, this post at least will resonate with the people that appreciate the whole concept of what Rob did and perhaps further the cause, so to speak.

So as not to ramble (too much) I will try to give an interesting backstory regarding my own experience with e-chargers. It was really encouraging to see the 86 community get behind the idea and spearhead such a new technology that has now found its way into the mainstream automotive world. It reminded me of a similar story that I was around for back in 2002, again related to e-chargers.

I am an avid fan of rotary cars and have owned and driven quite a range of them. Of course, at the time, the biggest online community was the rx7club.com forums. And then one day, this guy named Frank Germano shows up and posts this… https://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generati...urbine-125445/ , promising to the community to develop Tesla’s turbine/pump as an electric supercharger.

If you read through the posts it really set the rotary world on fire for a few months until we all had the rug pulled out from under us. The project was scrapped but it DID give some of us young ‘uns a peak at who Nikola Tesla was. So at least that part was positive.

And while I won’t judge Mr. Germano to his motives as I don’t know him personally, it’s obvious that with the choices he made in developing his product on the old FCs that were already so limited regarding the electronics and other issues with the cars, he could have chosen a plethora of other NA cars which were in higher demand (remember that this was the height of Japan’s stranglehold on the car world). Plus back then, the internet was not as streamlined as it is now; there was no YouTube, no social media, no kickstarter, indiegogo, nothing. Just the specialized forums. Couple that to the limiting tech of batteries, motors, and electronic controllers at the time, and perhaps Mr. Germano was just too ahead of the times.

But, fast forward to modern times and it seems that with the way new cars are being produced, and the advancement in tech, I think that not only are we close to a new way cars are going to be developed, but new technologies will have to be created to sustain, and improve them. And this is the purpose of this post.

So, if we take the e-charger as our base, and the responses from the market afterwards trying to improve on the product, to its use in mainstream, to companies built around production of this product, I think that we are going to see some really cool developments over the next 10 years. And the product is already 5 years old.

Just think how Japanese cars had sequential turbos in the early 90s and that they were abandoned only to be regurgitated into European cars for high performance but even more so, higher efficiency.

So, while I personally am wondering if the Tesla turbine concept could be used with all of technology’s modern advancements instead of the conventional axial compressor, I’m also keen to see how the entrepreneurial spirit will advance the limitations of the e-charger. Will we see exhaust driven alternators, perhaps using the tesla model? Crazy advancements in batteries and other methods of storing/discharging electricity? Interesting methods of cooling the charges? More efficient setups? It’s a great time to be a car guy for some people!

It’s rare to see such a revolutionary product in the auto world. I love cars. From when nitrous was first used, till audi dominated with Quatro, till Vtec was a thing, and so many more advances, it’s just awesome to see how ingenuity overcomes these types of hurdles and we, the enthusiasts, reap the benefits.

Again, @Robftss

Last edited by CY86; 11-02-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: More precise title so as not to confuse product.
CY86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd say if the Tesla turbine could be made to work you'd see it being used

the likes of Garret, rolls royce and other large makers of air movers would have given this a go don't you think?
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post

the likes of Garret, rolls royce and other large makers of air movers would have given this a go don't you think?
Dyson haven't used it.........from my poor googling skills they suffer under load.

They do work well pumping air on a bench without load though.

There was 1 pumping water but it only had a small head and used the Tesla pump as well to pump a trickle of water, the problem was the Tesla turbine was feed 25psi from a compressor to achieve this trickle.

Efficient, yah na

I call "SHENANIGANS".
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Electric supercharger lol. There's a reason they aren't mainstream.
It's because they don't work. Just save your money and get a turbo or PD supercharger
Old 11-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Imo the pricing of the sbd turbo kit kinda makes it pointless to pursue this at this time anyway. Esc kits were creeping up to 2500 price point and the boost curve didn't make sense imo
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I think their popularity is greater correlated to their cost than their performance. It’s the cheapest way to get a turbine under the hood.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
It's because they don't work. Just save your money and get a turbo or PD supercharger
F1 cars run electric motors to control turbo speed, both spooling up and slowing down to control boost.

Given enough battery capacity, there's no reason an electric supercharger won't work as well as something driven off the crank or a turbo. Higher voltage electrical systems will help with that too.

Audi has a system designed on a TDI engine that uses an electric supercharger too:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...trical-systems

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-...olt-1790364465
Old 11-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
F1 cars run electric motors to control turbo speed, both spooling up and slowing down to control boost.

Given enough battery capacity, there's no reason an electric supercharger won't work as well as something driven off the crank or a turbo. Higher voltage electrical systems will help with that too.

Audi has a system designed on a TDI engine that uses an electric supercharger too:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...trical-systems

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-...olt-1790364465
A typical turbo compressor style electric charger is feasible, my comments were aimed at the Tesla design.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #9
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You obviously did not see the home grown work of a dude up in Canada. It does work and worked well for this car. Think of a small/mid shot of NOS with out the risks and no bottle refills... It gave the car a fantastic TQ boost and some nice HP gains. Sadly the guy making them went dark and project died.. As other have mentioned the big OEMs see the benefit of this tech. Hell look at Volvo who has a production engine with one. Once battery tech comes along I feel you see this as a more common practice to reduce turbo lag and improve spool times...
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
You obviously did not see the home grown work of a dude up in Canada. It does work and worked well for this car. Think of a small/mid shot of NOS with out the risks and no bottle refills... It gave the car a fantastic TQ boost and some nice HP gains. Sadly the guy making them went dark and project died.. As other have mentioned the big OEMs see the benefit of this tech. Hell look at Volvo who has a production engine with one. Once battery tech comes along I feel you see this as a more common practice to reduce turbo lag and improve spool times...
You are 100% correct. I was of course referring to the phantom e charger created by robftss and advanced by @shiv. I should have referred to it specifically in the title I guess not realising the eBay leaf blowers would still be in discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to CY86 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #11
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Imo the pricing of the sbd turbo kit kinda makes it pointless to pursue this at this time anyway. Esc kits were creeping up to 2500 price point and the boost curve didn't make sense imo
Of course you might be right. But this thread is talking about the actual enthusiast find ding better cheaper alternative solutions. I do believe that once robftss made his work, others in Europe have followed suit to building there own and are now courting car manufacturers to supplying them with parts.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #12
CY86

Quote:

I am referring to the phantom echarger. Not eBay leaf blowers. I can post links or you can just search on this forum regarding what I am talking about. They do in fact work, and work extremely well
Old 11-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #13
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post

I may agree with you to a point. However, with 3d printers and composite materials, I am sure its worth looking into. Also, it might be a viable solution for attaching it to the exhaust manifold to power alternators. I don't know if that would work, but again, thinking outside of the box is the purpose of this thread
Old 11-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #14
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Check Out Torqamp supercharger. about 3500$ shipped to the states, should provide about 6psi slowly dropping to about 3psi at redline. a little better then the phantom. but yes it is still overpriced for what it does imo. either needs another 2-3psi or 800$ off the price tag to become "mainstream"
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric supercharger, forced induction, technology