follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #29
SteelReign

Drives: 2009 Hyundai Sonata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for all the comments, especially from the current owners of the Type-S. Its still hard to justify buying a new car like the FR-S/BRZ with no info on reliability and resale, but the Type-S prices are still pretty high too. I'm gonna look into some good deals on the RSXs if they're out there but if not, I'll be waiting for the pricing of the FR-S and BRZ.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #30
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Will the FRS/BRZ come with a tape deck? Nope.
Score one point for the RSX Type S ;-)
Capt Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
The center of gravity is amazingly low, its one of the most necessary things to mention about this car.
if a cog was that necessary then why is this the first car to market something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
how could you not? lower than most super cars around and deff the lowest cog you can get for a entry level sports car

I believe only 2 inchs higher than the LFA?
name a super car that has a higher cog. this is just marketing. the frs has a higher cog than the miata and even the archaic c4 corvette. yeah its a respectable number but its just like touting the .27 cd. pretty impressive until you actually look at figures and realize that that is higher than the prius and the ls430 and dead even with cars like the mazda3.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #32
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
if a cog was that necessary then why is this the first car to market something like that?

name a super car that has a higher cog. this is just marketing. the frs has a higher cog than the miata and even the archaic c4 corvette. yeah its a respectable number but its just like touting the .27 cd. pretty impressive until you actually look at figures and realize that that is higher than the prius and the ls430 and dead even with cars like the mazda3.
the lfa has a cog of 17.75''.

Quote:
Toyota's internal testing shows the FR-S to have a considerably lower center of gravity than Porsche's Cayman, Nissan's GT-R, Mitsubishi's Lancer Evolution and Subaru's STI. In fact, the FR-S's center of gravity is only about 0.6 inch higher than the Lexus LFA — impressive considering the FR-S is a mass-produced car bound by Toyota's design standards regulating ride height, tire/fender clearance and other factors. The LFA is not.
Little-known fact? The Porsche 911 GT3's center of gravity is between the LFA and FR-S.
which means the frs/brz cog is 18.35''.

what's the cog for a miata?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #33
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Well Subaru always advertises the low center of gravity thing, so it's expected.

All the other advertised features are decent, better than average, but not stellar. I guess the whole is more than the sum of the parts or whatever.

They advertise low weight, but 2700 isn't exactly light. The Cd is pretty good, until you consider how Mercedes got 0.26 on a van, and they say they still have plenty of room for improvement. Of course, this car has exposed rear suspension which would hurt aero a little bit, and that's a pretty quick and easy fix. They talk about the engine being so special, and it ends up coming with disappointingly low power compared to most of the market, and lower specific output than much older engines.

Maybe a refresh down the line will improve on everything a little bit, trim down the weight a little, slightly longer 6th gear, slight power bump, slight aero modification etc.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #34
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
the lfa has a cog of 17.75''.

which means the frs/brz cog is 18.35''.

what's the cog for a miata?
17.6 for the na miata. under 16 iirc for the c4 corvette. the frs is more like 18.1
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #35
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Well Subaru always advertises the low center of gravity thing, so it's expected.

All the other advertised features are decent, better than average, but not stellar. I guess the whole is more than the sum of the parts or whatever.

They advertise low weight, but 2700 isn't exactly light. The Cd is pretty good, until you consider how Mercedes got 0.26 on a van, and they say they still have plenty of room for improvement. Of course, this car has exposed rear suspension which would hurt aero a little bit, and that's a pretty quick and easy fix. They talk about the engine being so special, and it ends up coming with disappointingly low power compared to most of the market, and lower specific output than much older engines.

Maybe a refresh down the line will improve on everything a little bit, trim down the weight a little, slightly longer 6th gear, slight power bump, slight aero modification etc.
while i agree with what you are saying about the improvements and stuff im not sure its fair to say the .26 on a van has is exceptionally degrading. the cd is independent of frontal area so while the vans cd is lower, it almost certainly has more measured drag
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #36
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
i like how a lot of the people are coming and wanting to switch from a rsx.
I also own a rsx type -s and its an amazing fun car but yea the fr-s feels like it will be an upgraded version of the rsx.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #37
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
while i agree with what you are saying about the improvements and stuff im not sure its fair to say the .26 on a van has is exceptionally degrading. the cd is independent of frontal area so while the vans cd is lower, it almost certainly has more measured drag
Yep, but lower Cd for a certain body size means they did a better job of pillar vortices and wake management. If they shrunk the van to BRZ/FRS size, it would have lower drag. A van has an inherent disadvantage because it creates a large wake at the back which creates a certain amount of drag that you can't get rid of, thus they tried extra hard everywhere else to trim drag. This car has a nearly ideal rear windshield angle, greater front windshield angle, yet they got a worse number, so in that sense it is pretty embarassing. I suspect covering the rear suspension components would yield a respectable improvement though.

If you notice on the Mercedes, they have the windshield recessed into the A pillars to reduce A pillar vortex formation, and a completely covered undertray, and tire spoilers designed to work with the particular tires they have, among other things.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #38
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyv90 View Post
i like how a lot of the people are coming and wanting to switch from a rsx.
I also own a rsx type -s and its an amazing fun car but yea the fr-s feels like it will be an upgraded version of the rsx.
I think the only real upgrades is the RWD and lower engine. I wonder if that would make a small or big difference though.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #39
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
don't forget the LSD.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #40
dookie11

Drives: Girls crazy with his booty
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is funny, cuz when I was fondling the BRZ this weekend in Hermosa Beach, I was reminded of the interior feel of my cousin's RSX. The seating position, the snug feel of bucket seating, similar feeling plastic knobs, etc. Even the actual size of the car. I really appreciate that they made a low and short car tho, cuz it sucks notbeing able to see what's on the road in front of me :/. Then again, I have a Lude, so maximum road vision up front, like all old Hondas do lol. Yah...so for those who haven't seen the BRZ in person yet, you're going to enjoy it , I promise
dookie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
peekeesh

Drives: XB, Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie11 View Post
This is funny, cuz when I was fondling the BRZ this weekend in Hermosa Beach, I was reminded of the interior feel of my cousin's RSX. The seating position, the snug feel of bucket seating, similar feeling plastic knobs, etc. Even the actual size of the car. I really appreciate that they made a low and short car tho, cuz it sucks notbeing able to see what's on the road in front of me :/. Then again, I have a Lude, so maximum road vision up front, like all old Hondas do lol. Yah...so for those who haven't seen the BRZ in person yet, you're going to enjoy it , I promise
I hate that i missed that event in hermosa beach. i live like 7 mi away from that dealership. i really wanted to get inside the brz just to get a feel of what it's like before i decide to buy.

Quick question, how low is the sitting position on the BRZ, is it similar to RSX? or is it similar to 370z like almost sitting on the floor? Is the BRZ lower (referring to the height from roof to ground) than RSX?
peekeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #42
SteelReign

Drives: 2009 Hyundai Sonata
Just finished driving a 2005 RSX type S and it was a major let down. Didn't communicate everything I wanted it to. Steering felt kind of numb. Power didn't seem to really do it for me.

I guess I gotta test drive the FR-S/BRZ now. If it doesn't pan out, it might be Miata time!