follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
power_of_ra

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
need your opinion on full exhaust system

Hey guys, I have a perrin 3" resonated catback right now. Wanting to create that boxer rumble while having a fairly quiet exhaust (had catless track pipes in the past and I'm just getting too old to hear that from a DD). Will be purchasing the ft86 catted Uel and was looking for the right op/fp combo for that sound.

My choices -

motiv op and catted fp
Motiv op and invidia catted fp
Nameless resonated and catted op/fp combo
Perrin op and invidia/motiv fp.

I've seen tons of videos on YouTube but haven't heard many in person and I know there is some variation. Hoping you guys have heard some better combos in person to know which is ideal and quieter.

Thank you
power_of_ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
TONY_BRZ

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Try it out with the UEL header first. You might actually like the rumble from that. Once you start adding an OP/FP it'll get drastically louder especially for DD use
TONY_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
TONY_BRZ

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Also, I had the Motiv OP/FP and both were great quality pieces
TONY_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
power_of_ra

heard good things about motiv actually... i wont have time (and or money) to take of the eventual maintenance that comes with FI so i am trying to extract as much power as I can from N/A.

Hence, the step by step upgrade of the exhaust and probably an OFT tune.

already have an HKS drop-in and Perrin crank pulley with the catback.

Considering its a one piece design, Nameless op/fp has had some fitment issues with people right?
Old 06-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have an OFH, catted Nameless OP/DP combo and Perrin 2.5 resonated catback. Sound is just perfect- barely louder than stock at idle but idles with a nice deep rumble, and really sounds great when you put your foot in it. Plus it looks basically stock and is the exact opposite of ricey sound-wise so the cops pay you no mind. Definitely a great combo for the money.

Edit: didn't have any fitment issues with my nameless unit, UNTIL I changed the driveshaft. Getting them both in was tricky buy doable. I suspect you'd have the same issue with any driveshaft swap though.
Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
power_of_ra

thank you both for the suggestions. eventually i will be changing my driveshaft as well so thats good to know. do you think the nameless combo will be quieter than the motiv catted pipe?
Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
BP1913

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinshadow View Post
I have an OFH, catted Nameless OP/DP combo and Perrin 2.5 resonated catback. Sound is just perfect- barely louder than stock at idle but idles with a nice deep rumble, and really sounds great when you put your foot in it. Plus it looks basically stock and is the exact opposite of ricey sound-wise so the cops pay you no mind. Definitely a great combo for the money.

Edit: didn't have any fitment issues with my nameless unit, UNTIL I changed the driveshaft. Getting them both in was tricky buy doable. I suspect you'd have the same issue with any driveshaft swap though.
Any videos of your setup?
BP1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
Also look into P&L and JDL, I hear they make some good pieces.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1 for Motiv Concepts. Top quality and great customer service.
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1913 View Post
Any videos of your setup?
No but I have had a few requests for in-cabin sound clips so I'm going to try to capture a short drive sometime this week.
Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Sypher

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
my exhaust setup is in the sig below and i love it. it stays quiet until you get on it and has enough of the rumble to sound good. The Nameless combo pipe is awesome and if i did it again i would still go Nameless but it does require you to lift the motor.