follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FWIW many states (Illinois for sure) allow one readiness monitor to be "Incomplete" at the time of OBDII testing.

I have not verified if my ecutek tune simply makes the readiness monitor "Incomplete" or if it actually sets it to "Ready", but either way it would pass emissions in Illinois as well as other states that have this stipulation....

Quote:
Remember, vehicles are rejected when more than two non-continuous readiness monitors are “not ready” for 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, or when more than one non-continuous readiness monitor is “not ready” for 2001 and newer model year vehicles. Additionally, the catalyst monitor must be “ready” at the time of any re-test after a vehicle failed an initial test for any catalyst code.
Your state my vary in its rules, but this is confirmed for both New York and Illinois... hard to find the info, but it CAN be found if you browse your local state emissions website and search for the part about Readiness Monitors

::edit

Looks like Texas is the exact same way, but I failed to read the part where you don't want ECUTEK.
Throw on a spacer, and test it as soon as all of your other monitors are "ready/complete" with no DTC codes... catalyst does not need to be ready
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
m.wood0213 (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'd like it if someone could discuss the additional power this header would provide with a unichip tune/tune in general compared to other headers. The lifetime warranty is intriguing but, will other headers blow this out of the water in terms of gains?

thanks
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
I'd like it if someone could discuss the additional power this header would provide with a unichip tune/tune in general compared to other headers. The lifetime warranty is intriguing but, will other headers blow this out of the water in terms of gains?

thanks
if by "blow it out of the water" you mean 2-3hp, it's a possibility. Literally just installed my borla 2 minutes ago. It's re-learning or whatever.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
FWIW many states (Illinois for sure) allow one readiness monitor to be "Incomplete" at the time of OBDII testing.

I have not verified if my ecutek tune simply makes the readiness monitor "Incomplete" or if it actually sets it to "Ready", but either way it would pass emissions in Illinois as well as other states that have this stipulation....

Your state my vary in its rules, but this is confirmed for both New York and Illinois... hard to find the info, but it CAN be found if you browse your local state emissions website and search for the part about Readiness Monitors

::edit

Looks like Texas is the exact same way, but I failed to read the part where you don't want ECUTEK.
Throw on a spacer, and test it as soon as all of your other monitors are "ready/complete" with no DTC codes... catalyst does not need to be ready
Awesome find thanks for finding that. Does anyone know it just splicing into the current o2 sensor and extending it behind the factory front pipe cat will work?
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
Danny
Petrol head life.

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just got my Borla UEL header put on 2 days ago, i got a check engine light come up even with O2 spacer. I'm going to have my car tuned though anyway i have full piping. Borla Headers, ARK Test pipe and mid pipe, and ARK exhaust.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
When using the Vibrant O2 spacer make sure you use the correct insert to manage the flow the sensor see's. The inserts are key to making it work and why we only sell that one with the kit.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
BP1913

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
FA20club has a catted UEL available - no CEL. Have you considered this?
BP1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BP1913 For This Useful Post:
m.wood0213 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #22
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1913 View Post
FA20club has a catted UEL available - no CEL. Have you considered this?
Ya I have just a lot more money and it would take longer to make. Im starting to figure out that a uncatted header is not a good idea for a DD.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
My BRZ
Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #23
ntaphse

Drives: beater
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Just got my Borla UEL header put on 2 days ago, i got a check engine light come up even with O2 spacer. I'm going to have my car tuned though anyway i have full piping. Borla Headers, ARK Test pipe and mid pipe, and ARK exhaust.
So you don't have any cats in your system then right? How are the fumes?
ntaphse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #24
boxer 2.5

Drives: 2007 Impreza, 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
Ya I have just a lot more money and it would take longer to make. Im starting to figure out that a uncatted header is not a good idea for a DD.
Exactly. Especially for longevity.
boxer 2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #25
Danny
Petrol head life.

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaphse View Post
So you don't have any cats in your system then right? How are the fumes?
Nope, no cats at all. The fumes are alright i don't smell it unless i remain idle for a while and that's obviously only with the windows down. I have no emissions test in Florida so i can get away with no cats. I'm getting an intake next and then having my car tuned.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #26
BP1913

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Starting to feel the extra cash for catted is worth it.
BP1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BP1913 For This Useful Post:
m.wood0213 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1913 View Post
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Starting to feel the extra cash for catted is worth it.
Yaaaaaa it sucks. Close to $1k for catted header plus the build time sounds miserable. I might wait for tax refund time or just go w/ a front pipe. I dont think running uncatted headers for DD will be good in the long run.
My BRZ
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #28
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Yaaaaaa it sucks. Close to $1k for catted header plus the build time sounds miserable. I might wait for tax refund time or just go w/ a front pipe. I dont think running uncatted headers for DD will be good in the long run.
why? whats wrong with running uncatted headers for the long run.. what will happen to the car?

thanks
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote