follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2018, 01:48 AM   #29
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,058 Times in 8,329 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
IIRC, Steel replaced Argento in MY15.

Even though I'm not a huge fan on Lava personally I wish they kept it because it really did seem like the 'trademark' 86 color.

But now that MF Ghost is out maybe Firestorm/Ablaze will be the iconic 86 color?
Haha reason why main chara of MF Ghost have red 86 is, cuz shigeno own red 86. He always make the cars he own as main charas car (to certain degree). Just like Ini-D, he owns AE86 and GC8 (in panda and WRB), so Takumi and Bunta drove those cars lol
Old 01-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #30
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As someone who had a 2013 FR-S and went to a 2017 BRZ w/ PP. I can vouch that the Brembos did make a world of difference on track compared to stock rotors + pads I had in the FR-S. Granted these are OEM-level Brembo performance brakes -- but my FR-S brakes would start to fade even after a spirited touge run, whereas the Brembos still gave me confidence when I stomped on them on track.

I would vaguely say that the Sachs dampers are a slight improvement than my '13 (from what I recall before mods) -- very compliant on rough roads, which is probably what the engineers intended.

Don't care too much for the 17x7.5 wheel. It's only wider in order to clear the Brembos I guess.

... and yes these cars deserve to be in flashy colors

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #31
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Jesus what a lame selection of colors, red, blue, black, gray, grey, gray, and white.
I completely agree. Replacing hot lava with thunder was a terrible idea. Now of course I am biased having a hot lava 86, but why on earth did they think we needed another shade of gray? The monochromatic color choices of black, dark gray, silver, light gray, and white actually outnumber the other colors (red, blue) 5 to 2. Haven't these designers ever opened a box of crayons before? If they replaced one flashy color with another, so be it, but the gray thing was already covered. And I personally agree with the other poster who said this car deserves a flashy color to begin with. For example, I like how the Dodge Challenger uses some flashy colors that you just don't see other places. I'm not sure I would choose lime green or purple, but at least I notice them go by unlike the mass of mononchromatic blacks grays and white that 90% of cars have.

Myriad

Last edited by Myriad; 01-14-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
Borchert97 (01-14-2018), strat61caster (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #32
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I completely agree. Replacing hot lava with thunder was a terrible idea. Now of course I am biased having a hot lava 86, but why on earth did they think we needed another shade of gray? The monochromatic color choices of black, dark gray, silver, light gray, and white actually outnumber the other colors (red, blue) 6 to 2. Haven't these designers ever opened a box of crayons before? If they replaced one flashy color with another, so be it, but the gray thing was already covered. And I personally agree with the other poster who said this car deserves a flashy color to begin with. For example, I like how the Dodge Challenger uses some flashy colors that you just don't see other places. I'm not sure I would choose lime green or purple, but at least I notice them go by unlike the mass of mononchromatic blacks grays and white that 90% of cars have.

Myriad
Money talks, they build what sells and too many people buying a new car value safe choices and resale value. It's understandable, just a damn shame we're in that phase of design now, things are shifting, in a few years I think we'll start seeing interesting colors again but it's a hell of a draught right now.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #33
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,134 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
maybe they're trying to spruce up brz sales with their better color selection? tbf i like thunder even though i was expecting yellow
HKz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #34
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Matt black would be a dumbass colour on these. People can hardly see them as it is.
So it’s a dumbass color on the LFA too? I’d get a matte black 86, have you even seen the GR-HV? It looks amazing with that color.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #35
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
maybe they're trying to spruce up brz sales with their better color selection? tbf i like thunder even though i was expecting yellow
Thunder =\= lightning
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #36
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
So it’s a dumbass color on the LFA too? I’d get a matte black 86, have you even seen the GR-HV? It looks amazing with that color.
Grab a bucket of Plasti-Dip and go wild.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #37
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The LFA came in matte black for one single car. Did you know the GR-HV isn't a production vehicle, so it doesn't matter what colour it comes in?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #38
Borchert97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
The LFA came in matte black for one single car. Did you know the GR-HV isn't a production vehicle, so it doesn't matter what colour it comes in?
Clearly it's not a production vehicle, I was saying look how good it looks in that color. The LFA came in matte black for several cars, just 3/50 Nurburgring cars were matte black, that doesn't account for the 450 other non-Nurburgring LFA's. Face it, sports cars look amazing in matte black, the cars that do have the color as an option, people get it because it looks fantastic. Anyways, it'd make for a better selection of colors than what we have now. If you don't like matte black, don't get it, but don't try to tell me that color wouldn't be a hot seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Grab a bucket of Plasti-Dip and go wild.
The thing with that is it just doesn't look the same, the color has no depth. There's pictures of our cars plastidipped matte black, it's just not the same as a true paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
And I personally agree with the other poster who said this car deserves a flashy color to begin with. For example, I like how the Dodge Challenger uses some flashy colors that you just don't see other places. I'm not sure I would choose lime green or purple, but at least I notice them go by unlike the mass of mononchromatic blacks grays and white that 90% of cars have.

Myriad
That was me!

I think we should get three colors from Subaru, their orange off the Crosstrek, their Hyper Blue, and the yellow from the Series.Yellow. Then we can get matte black and lime green, I've seen the two colors get wrapped or plastidipped and it looks okay, but a true paint job would make it look even better. Or if you have like a game with our cars in it, try it out and you'll see that it actually looks pretty damn good.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #39
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Clearly it's not a production vehicle, I was saying look how good it looks in that color. The LFA came in matte black for several cars, just 3/50 Nurburgring cars were matte black, that doesn't account for the 450 other non-Nurburgring LFA's. Face it, sports cars look amazing in matte black, the cars that do have the color as an option, people get it because it looks fantastic. Anyways, it'd make for a better selection of colors than what we have now. If you don't like matte black, don't get it, but don't try to tell me that color wouldn't be a hot seller.

The thing with that is it just doesn't look the same, the color has no depth. There's pictures of our cars plastidipped matte black, it's just not the same as a true paint job.
You're wrong. Matte black is cool to teenagers, but there's a reason you only generally see shit box ricer cars in matte black, and it's definitely not because it's an awesome colour
Old 01-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #40
Borchert97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
You're wrong. Matte black is cool to teenagers, but there's a reason you only generally see shit box ricer cars in matte black, and it's definitely not because it's an awesome colour
Oh, so you're one of those types. Knock someone's tastes and blame it on an age difference?

Anyways, maybe you should buy a Lexus, because I don't know if you know this, but our cars are literally marketed to younger people.

I don't know about you, but I don't exactly see a lot of 20 year olds running around with Lambos, yet plenty of them are matte black. But it must not be an issue to you when it's a $250k car vs. a $25k car? So if matte black isn't cool then black isn't either? You do realize both are still black, right?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #41
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Oh, so you're one of those types. Knock someone's tastes and blame it on an age difference?

Anyways, maybe you should buy a Lexus, because I don't know if you know this, but our cars are literally marketed to younger people.

I don't know about you, but I don't exactly see a lot of 20 year olds running around with Lambos, yet plenty of them are matte black. But it must not be an issue to you when it's a $250k car vs. a $25k car? So if matte black isn't cool then black isn't either? You do realize both are still black, right?
The people who buy lambos, are generally boorish, gaudy rich people.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #42
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I like Matte paints. It's something different.

new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Borchert97 (01-14-2018)