follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #113
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
I'd like to learn more, where can I find logs? And I've been getting great mpg and a few HP on the butt dyno since installing my header. It's not running like shit at all, I don't think so at least. Define running like shit.

I never said the tune would be bad and damage the motor. The fact that a tune exists\existed is what makes me nervous. Suppose I threw a rod due or something bad, related or unrelated to the tune, and the dealer reviewed the ecu counter/status/rom/whatever and discovered I flashed my ECU at one point. I'm saying that its probably easier for them to deny shit versus me moving a sensor on a front pipe.

I know, I know, I am dumb and my motor will run terrible without a tune.
Your not dumb and I apologize if I came off as being too harsh. The op was/is looking to get a tune to support his header and I approve. I wish their was a way I could convince you of the same but, your nervous about voiding your warranty for good reason.

Your missing out on maximizing the power of you header and the potential of your car without a tune. The stock tune was designed to match thn stock components of your car as well as fuel economy, emissions and long term durability. Yes, with a tune you are asking more of your car but how much more? These engines were designed to last thousands of miles..maybe 200k or more. with a tune maybe your shaving off some but how long are you planning to drive it?

As far as voiding your warranty, blowing a rod or exploding your engine I don't know what to tell you. I could say that you have nothing to worry about as long as you avoid FI. I could say these OFT tunes have been tested and run by thousands with no issues but I don't know the future. Maybe you will just have to take a leap of faith.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
Brinks (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #114
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Your not dumb and I apologize if I came off as being too harsh. The op was/is looking to get a tune to support his header and I approve. I wish their was a way I could convince you of the same
I honestly think you are wasting your breath on this one.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #115
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
I honestly think you are wasting your breath on this one.
Have to come stir up some drama don't you.. Lol
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #116
s2d4

Quote:
Have to come stir up some drama don't you.. Lol
It isn't true?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #117
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
It isn't true?
Is what true?

True as in his post making me want to buy a tune? No.

True as in me understanding what he is saying and agreeing, yes. I'm aware there's a good chance I can drive 200k+ miles without an issue and a dealer may never discover it if I went for warranty work. I rely on my car to commute to work ~100 miles per day, I have to be careful with messing with things that can bite me in the ass--main reason I did not go with a turbo setup. Aside from the cost, the fear of having some random motor issue and a dealer discovering my tune and denying me is a big factor in me not wanting a tune.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 08-13-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #118
s2d4

Quote:
Is what true?

True as in his post making me want to buy a tune? No.

True as in me understanding what he is saying and agreeing, yes. I'm aware there's a good chance I can drive 200k+ miles without an issue and a dealer may never discover it if I went for warranty work. I rely on my car to commute to work ~100 miles per day, I have to be careful with messing with things that can bite me in the ass--main reason I did not go with a turbo setup. Aside from the cost, the fear of having some random motor issue and a dealer discovering my tune and denying me is a big factor in me not wanting a tune.
True as in you won't get a tune.
Talk about being dramatic.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #119
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
True as in you won't get a tune.
Talk about being dramatic.
Dramatic for not wanting a tune? You're a moron.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #120
s2d4

Quote:
Dramatic for not wanting a tune? You're a moron.
Dramatic for insisting I was creating drama when the statement is true, which you have confirmed. If someone is rendered a moron when everything he says is true then I'll gladly be one.
But hey, you are the better person for calling someone a moron for stating facts.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #121
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Dramatic for insisting I was creating drama when the statement is true, which you have confirmed. If someone is rendered a moron when everything he says is true then I'll gladly be one.
But hey, you are the better person for calling someone a moron for stating facts.
Your opinion is a tune is required--no exceptions. There's no consideration for any negative aspects of having a tune. @Boofneenee's post was useful, informative, and considered my concerns for warranty complications. And regarding me calling you a moron, you are very one way with your posts, you only care about your opinion. Also, you called the other guy a moron for moving his o2 sensors because you didn't agree with what he did.

Two days after boofneenees post you tell him he's wasting his breath? Why? because I didn't say "ok I'll order a tune!"? I get that you are pro-tune and that's fine, let it go that everyone is not going to agree with what you think.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #122
s2d4

Quote:
Your opinion is a tune is required--no exceptions. There's no consideration for any negative aspects of having a tune. @Boofneenee's post was useful, informative, and considered my concerns for warranty complications. And regarding me calling you a moron, you are very one way with your posts, you only care about your opinion. Also, you called the other guy a moron for moving his o2 sensors because you didn't agree with what he did.

Two days after boofneenees post you tell him he's wasting his breath? Why? because I didn't say "ok I'll order a tune!"? I get that you are pro-tune and that's fine, let it go that everyone is not going to agree with what you think.
I couldn't careless if people agree or not, facts are facts, opinions and bruised egos is of no importance if the info is wrong.

I am also not "pro-tuned" but actually self tuned, good luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #123
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
I couldn't careless if people agree or not, facts are facts, opinions and bruised egos is of no importance if the info is wrong.

I am also not "pro-tuned" but actually self tuned, good luck.
Everyone, including myself, understands a tune can fix a/f ratio affected by a header and eliminate a cel. Is this what you think is being debated?

Is it a fact that a dealer cannot discover a modified ecu and decline warranty coverage due to it?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #124
s2d4

Quote:
Everyone, including myself, understands a tune can fix a/f ratio affected by a header and eliminate a cel. Is this what you think is being debated?

Is it a fact that a dealer cannot discover a modified ecu and decline warranty coverage due to it?
It has already been covered but evidently not what you wanted to hear, so like I said, good luck bro.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #125
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
It has already been covered but evidently not what you wanted to hear, so like I said, good luck bro.
Idk man, I'm confused about your driving argument here... What I want to hear is dealers cannot detect tunes--even smartphones have ROM flash counters, it does not take a forensic scientist to detect a flashed ecu as someone else mentioned. You don't think Subaru is aware of ecu tuning and it's ability to be done wrong and mess up someone's motor? Cmon now. If you can confirm otherwise please share.

The vibe I get from you is that a tune is the only solution and if I don't agree I am a moron and that you do not care about the potential warranty implications. Which I do not agree with. There's the cliffs notes for the past ~20 posts and we can leave it at that.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 08-13-2014 at 11:56 AM.