follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Purchasing New 2013 FR-S Advice

Hello All,

I've scheduled an appointment to come in and (hopefully) buy my dream car, a Whiteout 2013 FR-S. I just wanted to see if any of you had advice for a first-time car buyer? I know the basic run-down: did the research, got my financing pre-approval, have insurance quotes ready to go, and all that jam.

My understanding is that Scion just doesn't negotiate on prices, period. Research on KBB and edmunds backs this up. However, I've been offered $1000 dealer incentive because they're clearing their inventory for the 2014 models. On top of that, I'll be receiving a $750 rebate for their College Graduate special.

I'd like to know if anyone's had better luck negotiating the price down or if I'm just set at my $24,500 quote. Also, if there's anything else I should know/ask about while I'm there, I'd really like to know!
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sound like you did your homework. I would just settle for the FR-S with all the extra accessories that you want then play hard to get. I really want this car but not the accessories - they might just deduct portion, or all, price of the accesories. Extra savings or they can just say, "you are in luck. We have a stock white FR-S in the back!"
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
batmobilefrs

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yea unfortunately for me the dealer was willing to drive 300 miles to pick the car with the specs i wanted. They had a raven with some accessories that i didn't want but they were more willing to drive than negotiate the price, this was in July though, and no where near when they wanted to get rid of the cars. Maybe you will have better luck, I wish you the best and welcome to the club.
batmobilefrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Hello All,

I've scheduled an appointment to come in and (hopefully) buy my dream car, a Whiteout 2013 FR-S. I just wanted to see if any of you had advice for a first-time car buyer? I know the basic run-down: did the research, got my financing pre-approval, have insurance quotes ready to go, and all that jam.

My understanding is that Scion just doesn't negotiate on prices, period. Research on KBB and edmunds backs this up. However, I've been offered $1000 dealer incentive because they're clearing their inventory for the 2014 models. On top of that, I'll be receiving a $750 rebate for their College Graduate special.

I'd like to know if anyone's had better luck negotiating the price down or if I'm just set at my $24,500 quote. Also, if there's anything else I should know/ask about while I'm there, I'd really like to know!
Sounds like you did your homework. Outside of waiting to see if the dealers get desperate to lower prices further, I think you are getting a good price. Just to be clear the car is $24,500 before the college rebate? So it is really $23,750 before tax, tag, and other fees?
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
You could really catch them off guard with this one. Ask them if in it's life it was ever shipped by rail. I'm sure their answer will probably be yes. Ask them if they have given the car a chemical wash to eliminate the potential problem.

What happens is that cars transported by rail will have a certain amount of rail (metal) dust settle on them and when taking delivery the car will look fine. But, with time and moisture those tiny little specks of dust that won't wash off with soap and water will begin to rust and you'll start seeing many tiny little brown dots on your car that you won't be able to remove. Dealerships are all aware of this problem but it seems that few of them do anything about it in preparation for delivery. It only becomes apparent on white cars. The dealership has a mild chemical wash that does no harm to the car but eliminates the problem. If they do it before you take delivery it will save you going back with a problem they could argue was caused by something else: you parked close to a factory, etc., etc.,

Congratulations, you're in for some fun times.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
MeFryRice (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
MeFryRice

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^^ You make a good point. I've heard about someone else briefly discussing that being a potential issue. I'd have them or your detailer of choice to chemically clean the car either at the time of delivery or very soon after.

To the OP, it sounds like your homework has been done. My question to you is, are you financing it via the dealership or your bank/credit union of choice? I know you're looking at the FR-S but when I was buying mine, Subaru was offering a 2.9% APR for a 60 month term. Although that's not a bad APR, my credit union was offering a 1.75% APR for the same term. In short, I'd look around before signing papers at the dealer.
MeFryRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Make sure they put PREMIUM fuel in the car.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Minhtyfresh

Drives: Whiteout fR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Its 750 now for the rebate? It was 1000 before when I baught it. At time of purchase they tried to tell me "oh sorry thats actually being changed to 500 now". And then offer me a cheque. I said NOPE. They gave me the 1000 off.
Minhtyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Manic
Is not fast.

Thanks all for the quick responses! Luckily for me, the car I want is AT the dealership I'm going to, so I can't think of any delivery issues. I wanted a bare-bones FR-S because I want to be personally responsible for any changes made to it, even if it's just installing a radio or spoiler. It might be financially smarter to get a car with pre-installed options and negotiate down from there, but I want this car to be an extension of myself. So I figure working on it and modifying it myself will help me learn about it much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
...the car is $24,500 before the college rebate? So it is really $23,750 before tax, tag, and other fees?
That's correct, it should be $23,750 before tax, tax, and other fees.

I'll definitely ask about the chemical wash, I believe I've had that issue with my current car, 2006 Maxima. In any case, definitely good to know, thanks!

As far as financing goes, I've checked around, with my bank (Wellsfargo), I got this ridiculous APR of 12% when I've been quoted at 6% from various other dealerships. I was previously in the market for a VW GTI because I wanted a sporty yet somewhat practical ride. Plus, I've always loved the Golf and hatchbacks, although the AE86 has been my all time love, with the FR-S being my dream car since I saw it in concept in 2007. But I digress, but basically I was getting around 6-7% APRs at other dealerships. With the College promotion, along with a cosigner (if I have to), I'll be getting a 3.99% APR over a 60-month term which is great for me. Plus, the 0-down, 0 payments for 90 days really helps my impatience. (otherwise I'd have to wait until the end of the month, and who wants that noise?)
Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Wells Fargo tried to get me at 8% and now my current credit union has me at 2.2%. There's a reason they aren't my bank anymore.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
You could really catch them off guard with this one. Ask them if in it's life it was ever shipped by rail. I'm sure their answer will probably be yes. Ask them if they have given the car a chemical wash to eliminate the potential problem.
He's in California, mine traveled less than 100 miles from port to dealer lot and 99% sure it was by truck. I'd say most of the state cars don't travel by rail unless they're really far North or in the Sierras.

In any case, they'll nail you on accessories, don't pay for them if you don't want them, always look at the price of the car, not your monthly payments. It took me 4 months to find a California dealer who would sell me a car without add ons I didn't want like bespoke and paint protection and wheel locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhtyfresh View Post
Its 750 now for the rebate? It was 1000 before when I baught it. At time of purchase they tried to tell me "oh sorry thats actually being changed to 500 now". And then offer me a cheque. I said NOPE. They gave me the 1000 off.
They changed it to $500 on Jan 1st, that's also when the price got bumped up $300. I literally lost $800 because of asshole dealers not being capable of giving a customer what they want
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Manic
Is not fast.

Also, anoter bit of a scrub question, what should I expect to pay in terms of out of the door fees if I'm going with the 0-down option. I want to get my funds in order and I realize now that I should've figured out a long time ago what this was but I can't seem to get any sort of direct answer.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Also, anoter bit of a scrub question, what should I expect to pay in terms of out of the door fees if I'm going with the 0-down option. I want to get my funds in order and I realize now that I should've figured out a long time ago what this was but I can't seem to get any sort of direct answer.
Ask the dealer via email to provide you with the out the door price of the car including tax, tag, and fees. Watch out for dealer fees, and other add-ons and don't buy any of the protection packages (paint, seats, etc), and don't buy the extended warranties. You can always add those things later, usually at a much lower price.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Manic
Is not fast.

Will I be paying the tax AT the dealership because I had assume that was being financed. The other fees I'm sure I can handle, but that wasn't including the tax. Just to clarify a little bit more, what will I be paying for at the dealership tomorrow? Worst case scenario, I'll just have to put it off, but I don't want to waste my or the agent's time.