follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Capstan

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Doesn't there have to be some kind of tuning/ECU modification for this to work? It seems like there would be pre-ignition if more air gets into the cylinders. In fact, I don't understand how it can make more power at all, maybe someone can explain. The engine is already set up for high compression.
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Doesn't there have to be some kind of tuning/ECU modification for this to work? It seems like there would be pre-ignition if more air gets into the cylinders. In fact, I don't understand how it can make more power at all, maybe someone can explain. The engine is already set up for high compression.
Well, I'm no expert, but I will give you the Mech Eng S.W.A.G.

It should be able to make more power by adding air, but it will lean out the mix and this will be bad for the engine in the long term. This is the same effect seen when adding a new, higher flowing intake. The 86 twins can learn their optimum settings though so it is possible that the ecu could compensate with more fuel. I don't think it will, but maybe. It won't blow itself up like an older car though, it at least has a clue.

In reality it definitely needs a tune, and I think that's why the port injector exists on our cars. DI is hard to tune and the Hugh pressure system is hard to work on, so that extra injection at the port is a blessing. They routinely add a 5th injector on boosted miatas, and I have seen them on older wrxs. At least we don't have to fudge one in the 86, but I do think it will require a tune.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
QFry

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
They've been teasing us for over two months and we haven't had anything but cropped pictures and speculation.

Now that it's installed on multiple cars and they've surely been dyno tuned, they are STILL holding out on numbers and the cars are now on display at SEMA! Ridiculous!

Those wheels are hideous.
so you would have been happier NOT knowing that they started prototyping two months ago and arent ready for an official release or would you rather have speculation/in progress results so more people can bash them for not having accurate information and the final product not being what was initially announced? :happy0180: not putting words in your mouth, just asking for clarification...and yes those rims are

(i cant believe i got into one of these conversations...)
2013 Argento FR-S -> Lots of random PlastiDip, UNIChip Custom Tune, aFe Takeda Intake, Nameless Performance front pipe and axle back exhaust, Motegi MR125 7.5x17, Rally Armour mud flaps, Gloss black vinyl roof, ACT street clutch and flywheel,Whiteline bushings; Kartboy Shortshifter and shift bushing
QFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFry View Post
so you would have been happier NOT knowing that they started prototyping two months ago and arent ready for an official release or would you rather have speculation/in progress results so more people can bash them for not having accurate information and the final product not being what was initially announced? :happy0180: not putting words in your mouth, just asking for clarification...and yes those rims are

(i cant believe i got into one of these conversations...)
I'm perfectly fine with ballpark figures, personally!

ANY info is good with me. I'm actually more interested in the price, which surely they have nailed down by now.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for info / sharing , cool to see Vortech goods !!
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Fortney

Drives: Scion FR-S
Send a message via AIM to Fortney
Does it come with the girl? If so, put me down for three! :P
Fortney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortney For This Useful Post:
connor_lol (10-31-2012), Dadhawk (11-01-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
damn dude your always so negative. This is the secound thread I read with you posting nothing useful and just bashing a product.

The guestamate is 300hp. There is so many things we dont know about the kit. Like PSI options.
I come from NASIOC, get used to it. I say it like it is, no sugar coating.
subatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Did anyone else notice what's mysterious? The camber plates and strut tower brace listed in the poop sheet aren't there; just the stock pieces.

Oops!

That said, I look forward to reading more specifications regarding the actual supercharger kit.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Yes you have to have to tune the car for forced induction. They're using ECUTek as their tuning solution. You would destroy the engine by boosting without tuning. All I was saying before is they could be using a "get by" street tune at the moment before tuning for power numbers on the dyno. Boosting a high compression engine isn't a problem. In fact you make more power with less boost on such a motor.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
i like how a lot are bashing it and it has yet to be officially released to purchase... Not EVERYONE wants to be vin diesel or paul walker with a 1000hp turbo intercooled nos rocket.

I've always wanted a supercharger over a turbo before I could even legally drive. Car nerds are always bashing supercharging in favor of turbos. Its a lot like someone who only eats organic farm raised food bashing someone who love chickfila. Some of us like convenience and chickfila is fukin delicious, lol
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #25
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofrsnsokleen View Post
i like how a lot are bashing it and it has yet to be officially released to purchase... Not EVERYONE wants to be vin diesel or paul walker with a 1000hp turbo intercooled nos rocket.

I've always wanted a supercharger over a turbo before I could even legally drive. Car nerds are always bashing supercharging in favor of turbos. Its a lot like someone who only eats organic farm raised food bashing someone who love chickfila. Some of us like convenience and chickfila is fukin delicious, lol
That reminds me - in F&F6, I owe Vin a 10 second car... and it's gotta be an FRS.

Turbo's kick out nice power - but until they spool up, there's not much going on. When they hit boost, they can kick hard. Something you don't want mid turn! I'll take a SC for this car for less power gains but more linear delivery, and also lower rpm gains.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #26
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
I'll take a SC for this car for less power gains but more linear delivery, and also lower rpm gains.

power is nothing without control
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #27
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
Maybe the result is unimpressive. That seems like the main reason for holding out. Because one would be quick to boast if the end result is really amazing. Just my speculation. I hope that I am wrong but this is what I believe now.
This.
I remember when Trial released their version of blitz s/c kit for celica gts and they said it was crazy fast but would not release the numbers. They still did not officially relased the numbers. And if im correct it was whopping 60 hp.

However vortech are known to have good numbers compared to other kits. So will see. Ill be happy with 300.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #28
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
300 to the wheels pls, pack it up!
MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote