follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #15
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
First the de catted headers did almost nothing just like borla. Other companies managed decent gains, although they were also catless. Having a mid pip high flow cat still allowed for these gains and would pass a sniffer test....

There are already several dyno charts of the new cars and they run closer to the stated hp. Most people interchange flywheel and manufacturers spec hp.

The new cars are mostly 200-209 with a stock gen 1 car in the 160s which is well over a 23 hp jump.
The torque dip appears to be shorter and shallower than the gen 1 as well.

So yeah it seems like the new car has a better designed exhaust manifold.
Nothing you are saying answers any of my points or makes any sense whatsoever. How close the actual horsepower the stock Gen2 engine makes compared to what Toyota/Subaru say it makes is completely irrelevant to anything we are talking about.

As for decatted headers I am talking about what pretty much everybody does - keep the main cat, remove the two small cats.

As for the manifold, you are talking about the exhaust manifold? Yeah - no, nothing you have said says anything whatsoever about the Gen2 exhaust manifold design vs. the Gen1 exhaust manifold design. More importantly, as noted above, almost all of the header related gains created from replacing the Gen1 header came from either eliminating the two small cats or replacing them with high-flow cats, NOT some improved manifold design (when combined with a tune, of course - particularly e85).
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:37 PM   #16
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Going to be hard to compare Gen 1 vs Gen 2 because you have a 20% increase in displacement with Gen 2. It's never going to be apples to apples and the 'best' Gen 1 header may not be the best Gen 3 header.

This is something that's on our project/product list and we'll be collecting lots of data and posting as we go through the process. Headers is one of our areas of expertise, so we're really looking forward to it!
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #17
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Going to be hard to compare Gen 1 vs Gen 2 because you have a 20% increase in displacement with Gen 2. It's never going to be apples to apples and the 'best' Gen 1 header may not be the best Gen 3 header.

This is something that's on our project/product list and we'll be collecting lots of data and posting as we go through the process. Headers is one of our areas of expertise, so we're really looking forward to it!
Totally understand. And there will be people that care about squeezing out every single ounce of additional hp/tq they can get, in which case, having a header that is specifically optimized to work with the FA24 may be worth the investment to them.

I personally will be more than happy just moving my catless JDL UEL from my Gen1 to my Gen2 as soon as there is a tuning option available. Not going to do it before then, because as detailed above, the gains just aren't that spectacular without a tune - not to mention that I don't want to deal with the code it will almost certainly start throwing.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
StormTrooper (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 06:19 PM   #18
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Nothing you are saying answers any of my points or makes any sense whatsoever. How close the actual horsepower the stock Gen2 engine makes compared to what Toyota/Subaru say it makes is completely irrelevant to anything we are talking about.

As for decatted headers I am talking about what pretty much everybody does - keep the main cat, remove the two small cats.

As for the manifold, you are talking about the exhaust manifold? Yeah - no, nothing you have said says anything whatsoever about the Gen2 exhaust manifold design vs. the Gen1 exhaust manifold design. More importantly, as noted above, almost all of the header related gains created from replacing the Gen1 header came from either eliminating the two small cats or replacing them with high-flow cats, NOT some improved manifold design (when combined with a tune, of course - particularly e85).

I followed it early on. If you don't think headers did anything that's on you.

I don't think we'll get the same percentage gains this time around but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm tired of arguing with people, must be getting old. 😒