follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
zkubidu

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Zeta Intake Pipe (w/o Sound Generator Outlet) Installation

Here's a quick how-to for Zeta Performance's intake pipe kit.

Total install took me about 5 minutes, including taking pictures. I didn't really follow the instructions included in the kit...actually I didn't even look at them. Sue me. Excuse my poor graphics too. Tools needed are as follows:

10mm socket or wrench (socket preferably, though a wrench will work)
Flat-head screwdriver
Small Channel-lock pliers

Before picture of stock intake setup

Remove the sound generator outlet hose on the frame near the battery. Using the pliers, pinch down on the spring clamp and slide the clamp towards the front of the car along the hose. Then using the pliers, get a firm but not too tight grip on the hose. Holding the plastic elbow with your other hand, twist the hose gently to break it free. Now you can remove the hose.

Cap the elbow with the included rubber cap. (I may decide to plug up the firewall hole and cap the fitting on the A/C box at a later date).

Remove the clip securing the sound generator outlet hose to the bracket by pinching down on the plastic tabs on the back of the bracket, facing the firewall. Remove the sound generator by unbolting the two M6 bolts with a 10mm head using the 10mm socket/ratchet or wrench. You'll see why a ratchet/socket set is more convenient here.

Remove the intake elbow spring clamp on the PCV fitting as you did with the sound generator outlet hose clamp, and remove the plastic elbow from the intake elbow. Loosen the two worm clamps on the inlet and outlet of the stock intake elbow. Gently remove the entire intake tube and sound generator assembly from the engine bay. You may have to maneuver the sound generator a bit between the alternator wire and the upper radiator hose, but it should slide through. If not, you can undo the alternator harness clip to give some more slack.

Slide the new worm clamps included in the kit onto the Zeta Intake Pipe; one on the inlet, one on the outlet, and one for the PCV fitting. Dab a bit of silicon grease, lube, oil (whatever you're into) onto the inside of the inlet, outlet and PCV fitting. This will help ease install. Slide the Zeta Intake Pipe onto the intake box first, then slide the end onto the throttle body inlet. Insert the PCV fitting on the side of the intake pipe. Tighten the worm clamps for the intake box, throttle body, and PCV fitting.

Now go drive. Enjoy.

Last edited by zkubidu; 11-16-2012 at 01:18 AM.
zkubidu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zkubidu For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (02-06-2013), Guff (11-16-2012), ZetaPerformance (01-05-2013)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Dispect
Newbie Car Enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt 6MT FR-S
sorry if this is a stupid question but im a car enthusiast wannabe. what is an intake pipe and what does it do? thanks!
Dispect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
zkubidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispect View Post
sorry if this is a stupid question but im a car enthusiast wannabe. what is an intake pipe and what does it do? thanks!
Not a stupid question.

The intake pipe is the pipe between the air filter box that houses the panel air filter, and the throttle body. This modification does two things mainly; 1) it smoothens the intake path from the intake box to the throttle body, to improve airflow by reducing restriction and turbulence. This allows more airflow for the engine which can help generate more power 2) allows the removal of the sound generator via not having an outlet to the sound generator tube.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zkubidu For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (02-06-2013), Dispect (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
Dispect
Newbie Car Enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt 6MT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkubidu View Post
Not a stupid question.

The intake pipe is the pipe between the air filter box that houses the panel air filter, and the throttle body. This modification does two things mainly; 1) it smoothens the intake path from the intake box to the throttle body, to improve airflow by reducing restriction and turbulence. This allows more airflow for the engine which can help generate more power 2) allows the removal of the sound generator via not having an outlet to the sound generator tube.

Hope this helps.
definitely! helped a lot thanks! but 1 quick question- why would you wanna remove the sound generator? isnt that what channels the engine sound to the cabin? maybe its personal preferences or whatever but just wondering if theres a specific reason to this. i personally like it
Dispect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
jm1681

Drives: MKVI VW GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispect View Post
...why would you wanna remove the sound generator?
It might just be the OCD part of my brain, but it only seems logical to have the smoothest, shortest, and most uninterrupted path from filter to throttle body
jm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jm1681 For This Useful Post:
Dispect (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Craig

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Did you notice any increase in power after the install? I've got one on the way to me and I'm hoping I feel something, have in a perrin filter now that SLIGHTLY changed the sound.

How much quieter is it in the cabin?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
zkubidu

Here's a picture (albeit an unclear one) of how smooth the inside is.

Mid range does seem to be a bit smoother by the seat-of-my-pants dyno, but it could also be that the weather is getting cooler here in SoCal. I do appreciate the quieter cabin in high-rpm, but the midrange also seems to have more of the intake "growl" one would normally hear on the earlier day Hondas. I haven't taken a dBa reading from the interior, but I'd have nothing to compare it with since I didn't take a reading stock either.

YMMV, as I've got the Zeta cotton filter as well as Visconti's tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to zkubidu For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (02-06-2013)