follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #29
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I once though I was hot shit. I was relatively fast in a local club (HPDE or "lapping"). The I entered the regional time attack championship. Oh my god was I put in my place. Some people, same car, same tires, (stock car basically) were turning a whole 10 seconds faster than me. I was a slug in class.

I stopped working on "go faster" mods, worked on reliable mods (cooling, braking, fluids) and driver mod (driving schools, video and book study, understanding how it all works, and carting).

This year, im actually second in my class (no chance at the top guy, he's a rocket), Im ashamed of myself when I think back on the things I did and said thinking I was good. Im still not good, but im better and keep on improving.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-10-2016), stevesnj (06-10-2016), strat61caster (06-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #30
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
I once though I was hot shit. I was relatively fast in a local club (HPDE or "lapping"). The I entered the regional time attack championship. Oh my god was I put in my place. Some people, same car, same tires, (stock car basically) were turning a whole 10 seconds faster than me. I was a slug in class.

I stopped working on "go faster" mods, worked on reliable mods (cooling, braking, fluids) and driver mod (driving schools, video and book study, understanding how it all works, and carting).

This year, im actually second in my class (no chance at the top guy, he's a rocket), Im ashamed of myself when I think back on the things I did and said thinking I was good. Im still not good, but im better and keep on improving.
Yep, I was lucky enough to have this person as an instructor one day:

http://kristintreagerracing.com/

Uhhh, yeah. By the end of the weekend I was like 5 seconds a lap faster. Watching her obliterate the course with one hand on the wheel as she is guiding my eyes through where to look with the other and chatting me up the whole way.

Beyond impressive.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #31
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I still think I'm hot shit. I just stay away from tracks and instructors so I don't learn any different about myself.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Apex-Apex (06-11-2016), nickmerronesucks (06-10-2016), strat61caster (06-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #32
FR-S 264

Drives: 2016 RS 2.0 Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks View Post
Pj, why do you make your thread titles in capital letters?
Ignorant question there! Everybody knows Caps have more grip!
FR-S 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S 264 For This Useful Post:
nickmerronesucks (06-10-2016), SlammedSilly (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #33
SlammedSilly

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
You are correct.

I made a basic assumption that you hadn't based on the idea that you wanted a "strut bar" to make the car "planted" vs alignment/tires/suspension.
sorry i used the wrong terminology, shouldve said chassis reinformancement
SlammedSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #34
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Practice is the way for anything, but "go faster" mods also help. They can give you more confidence to push a bit harder or offer you a safety net or the bit extra power. It is a combination of things that can send you to the top. If it was only a driver issue, most teams would not need their precious engineers. Either we like it or not, it is basically a team work.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #35
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Practice is the way for anything, but "go faster" mods also help. They can give you more confidence to push a bit harder or offer you a safety net or the bit extra power. It is a combination of things that can send you to the top. If it was only a driver issue, most teams would not need their precious engineers. Either we like it or not, it is basically a team work.
We are talking about HPDE drivers here chief, not professional race teams run with millions of dollars per year.

Modifying the car to be faster when you don't have the skills to control it actually REDUCES your safety net.

Perhaps you would have caught the car at 50mph on street tires with the tail stepping out. Now at 65+ because you're on a better suspension and Hoosiers with more grip and much less "forgiving" breakaway characteristics (ie don't progressively squeal as you get close to the limit, need more slip angle to generate max Lateral grip, etc), you can't and off into the weeds you go.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #36
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I'd run one of these on the dash if I wanted my car to be "planted"

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (06-11-2016), OkieSnuffBox (06-10-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 01:47 AM   #37
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
We are talking about HPDE drivers here chief, not professional race teams run with millions of dollars per year.

Modifying the car to be faster when you don't have the skills to control it actually REDUCES your safety net.

Perhaps you would have caught the car at 50mph on street tires with the tail stepping out. Now at 65+ because you're on a better suspension and Hoosiers with more grip and much less "forgiving" breakaway characteristics (ie don't progressively squeal as you get close to the limit, need more slip angle to generate max Lateral grip, etc), you can't and off into the weeds you go.
Do you need millions of dollars per year to race a car? Even an amateur race driver can have a mechanic in a garage which can trust him. From there he can learn the basics about correct maintenance and basic upgrades.

I agree that you have to start from low and go up gradually. I am just saying that it doesn't make sense trying to be only a better driver and not doing anything to your car.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote