follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
Ha1i8ut2

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation BRZ "p2158 speed sensor circuit b"

so i just bought my 2015 brz from the salvage auction. After getting the car home and starting it for the first time the vehicle went into immediate limp mode. After scanning i was given the code "P2158 speed sensor circuit b". after attempting to clear the code the engine will return to normal idle for 3-5 seconds then will go back to limp mode idle. Upon further inspection i deemed that the code may be due to a faulty abs sensor. After looking online at prices for sensors i decided it would be more cost effective to just buy all 4 as it was just over double the price for a single unit. Got them in the mail and installed them all making sure to be extra careful as to not mess up the sensors. and yes before all sensors were installed i did a visual check to make sure that the metal strip that they ride on was present and undamaged. After replacing all four i grounded out the battery terminals for half aan hour to reset the computer and started it back up. Same code, same limp mode, same christmas tree on the dash. after looking online to see if there was a speed senor in the transmission, i found that there was one but could not find online any information about where it is or how to change it. im out of options and as i dont have the money for an abs comppatible scanner i turn to the forums for guidance. This is my first post so sorry for any errors and i appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you and have a great day.
Ha1i8ut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Does Torque Pro app do ABS codes? I've never tried it for ABS.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Ha1i8ut2

i dont believe so, i had a guy try earlier today with torque pro to analyze the code but same answer i was getting.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha1i8ut2 View Post
i dont believe so, i had a guy try earlier today with torque pro to analyze the code but same answer i was getting.
Is your ABS light on?

Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Ha1i8ut2

yes abs light, check engine, traction conrtol are all on
Old 01-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
What was the damage that caused it to be salvaged? Could be a cut or damaged wire anyplace along the line.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
Ha1i8ut2

it appers to have been sent offroad through some sort of fence brunt of the force was crashbar and a little bit of driver front fender. some decent damage was also sustained on the driver a pillar and roof. i went through the wiring when i replaced the sensors but didnt not see ny damaged or frayed wires.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
That code is for the VSS, not the wheel speed sensors.

It is transmission mounted.

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/part...0098ab900.html

Wiring Diagram

http://www.ft86club.com/files/BRZwiringi.pdf

Quote:
Basically this P2158 code means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) "B" is not as expected (malfunctioned). The VSS input is used by the vehicle's main computer called a PCM/ECM powertrain/engine control module along with other inputs for proper operation of the vehicle systems. Typically, the VSS is an electromagnetic sensor that uses a rotating reluctor ring to complete an input circuit to the PCM. The VSS is mounted in the transmission housing at such a position as to allow the reluctor ring to pass by it; in close proximity. The reluctor ring is attached to the output shaft of the transmission so that it spins along with it. As the reluctor ring passes by the electromagnetic tip of the VSS, notches and grooves serve to complete and interrupt the circuit rapidly. These circuit manipulations are recognized by the PCM as transmission output speed or vehicle speed.

NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
Ha1i8ut2

After further research this is incorrect. The brz aisin auto transmission has a speed sensor but the manual does not. After updating/refining the search results on the subaru speed sensor parts list the linked part does not fit the manual 6 speed. The speed for the car is determined by the 4 abs wheel speed sensors. i will use the wiring diagram for further diagnosing so i appreciate the link.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ha1i8ut2 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-26-2020), p1l0t (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Ahhh. You are correct. One of the original search’s I had I thought showed manual but it looks like I was mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
p1l0t

After rereading your OP. You probably want to actually read and erase the code. I thought the ABS had to be going 7.5mph or something to even register. Anyway you have 3 extra good ones right? Also it may be a slightly different code (different location?). I just did a crankshaft position sensor in my Fiancee's car. It took a couple of days and some fairly methodical work to track down the ghost. (Including a new battery and some injector cleaner because even after a sensor that I'm confident was bad it still had a general error intermittently). I did prevail in the end but sometimes it's more than one thing. A decent multimeter and a cheap OBDII scanner are valuable tools and not expensive (certainly much cheaper than throwing parts at it all the time). If it's not a sensor it could be wiring but that's much less likely and way much more of a pita to find and fix so check those codes and test those sensors. Also make sure you clear the codes (after writing them down or emailing them to yourself from Torque Pro) because otherwise you will get all those limp mode symptoms and lights.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:36 PM   #12
Ha1i8ut2

My next line of attack was to ohm the sensors out to confirm they were working. I unfortunately don't have a big direction scanner that can read and codes so I can't directly determine which sensor it is. But oddly enough clearing the code does absolutely nothing. I have torque pro and it will read and delete the codes, but the issue will still persist. Once I clear the code through the app the engine will go back to normal and the cooling fans will cut off for 3-5 seconds and then the engine light will comes back on, the engine will idle in limp mode and the fans will turn back on. It will give me the same code on torque pro as it does on my other obd2 scanner. P2158 circuit b. I'm assuming it's one of the front sensors, from the pure assumption that the 4 sensors are labeled a,b,c,d whre a and b are the front and c and d are the back sensors. Pure guesswork though. I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar code and what their remedy for it was but I've found nothing online that corresponds with my current issue so it's just more troubleshooting for the time being. I appreciate all the help again and thanks for your assistance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ha1i8ut2 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:01 PM   #13
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha1i8ut2 View Post
My next line of attack was to ohm the sensors out to confirm they were working. I unfortunately don't have a big direction scanner that can read and codes so I can't directly determine which sensor it is. But oddly enough clearing the code does absolutely nothing. I have torque pro and it will read and delete the codes, but the issue will still persist. Once I clear the code through the app the engine will go back to normal and the cooling fans will cut off for 3-5 seconds and then the engine light will comes back on, the engine will idle in limp mode and the fans will turn back on. It will give me the same code on torque pro as it does on my other obd2 scanner. P2158 circuit b. I'm assuming it's one of the front sensors, from the pure assumption that the 4 sensors are labeled a,b,c,d whre a and b are the front and c and d are the back sensors. Pure guesswork though. I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar code and what their remedy for it was but I've found nothing online that corresponds with my current issue so it's just more troubleshooting for the time being. I appreciate all the help again and thanks for your assistance.
It's just weird that an ABS code is rearming without you moving the vehicle. I'm surprised that you haven't had to hit 8 mph to set it off.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #14
Ha1i8ut2

The abs never rearms itself, it never turns off. The only thing that turns off is the engine light

Tags
brz, engine light, p2158, speed sensor