follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #183
Marloon

Drives: 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
???
Lol!!!! I should have said this right. Lol. I was hoping that there would be a dual overhead cam system just like Toyotas vvti system. I love how lotus uses a vvti engine from Toyota, because you feel when it kicks in at say 4-5k Rpm.

You have no idea how long I took to get to third gear with 3 people in the car. sad....
Marloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #184
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marloon View Post
Lol!!!! I should have said this right. Lol. I was hoping that there would be a dual overhead cam system just like Toyotas vvti system. I love how lotus uses a vvti engine from Toyota, because you feel when it kicks in at say 4-5k Rpm.

You have no idea how long I took to get to third gear with 3 people in the car. sad....
You do realize you can't have over head cams simply because its not an inline 4 right? It's a boxer engine. Either way, I'm not engine expert but I suspect this car already has dual cams. One for the left bank and one for the right bank of cylinders. So the idea of an overhead cam giving you more power isn't exactly correct. You can still do what your suggesting by swapping out the current cams for something more to your taste if you like and once they become available in the aftermarket.

When it comes to the power comments, you guys are thinking about this in the wrong way (in my opinion anyway). Have you guys every stopped to realize that the reason why you think you need more power is because the power you have is so controlable? What I'm getting at is the opposite to say a C63 AMG.

If you guys have seen Jeremy Clarkson drive the new C class, you'll know what I'm talking about. That car has so much power its chassis can barely handle it. Let alone the tires. It took Jeremy only 4 laps of the Top Gear test track to completely destroy a set of rear tires! 4 LAPS!!!!

The C63 AMG and just about every car they make with this engine is plain silly. It's such a brute of a car it can be uncontrolable at times.

My thinking behind the FR-S is that the chassis itself is so good that it convinces you that your safe. Meaning you feel like you can push the car faster. As someone posted above, they were doing over the speed limit but didn't even realize it until looking at the speedo. This kind of reaction is what I'm expecting from the FR-S. Everyone feels like it can go faster simply because the feel comfertable doing so.

Thats my take anyway.

Ben
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #185
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
FRS/BRZ is indeed Dual overhead cam, as Bneal stated there’s and Intake and Exhaust cam on each cylinder head, 4 cams total. Single over head cam implies single cam shaft for both intake and exhaust valves. What they don’t have it Dual cam profiles. Subaru has that technology I dunno why it wasn’t used in the engine. It would of given the high RPM range more punch.... in theory
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #186
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marloon View Post

The cams have been covered by the posts above. (It's DOHC, 1 intake, 1 exhaust per cylinder bank, even if 'technically' there are 4 cams and they are on the sides rather the top of the motor because of the flat/boxer layout.)

Next is the VVT-i part. It has that too. Subaru's Dual AVCS is the same type of cam phasing system. So for it to be like the Lotus Elise or Exige, you are missing one letter. VVTL-i. That's the Toyota system that 'kicks in' like Honda's VTEC. That was only in the 2ZZGE motor they put into the last Celica GT-S, first Corolla and Matrix XRS (plus Vibe GT twin) and sold to Lotus. Even the mighty LFA didn't get the VVTL-i tech.

(Confused by all the letters and numbers stuff yet? OMGWTFBBQ... )

(Edit: as Bu-Tang mentioned Subaru again has a similar system. Theirs is AVLS.)

Makes me think that I'll have the slowest BRZ in Vancouver when (if? Stupid economy...) I finally get one, being that I'm over 220lbs and every one else sounds smaller/faster.

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 06-06-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Edit
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #187
bneale

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Great News!!!

Great News !!!! Both Mr.Jay and I will be recieving our cars.

Jay just called me and told me his was ready. I just called the dealership looking for my car and its also there and going through PDI right now. It wont be ready today but I will be picking it up tomorrow at 1:30pm.

This is me in my cubical right now!!!!

Ben
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #188
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Congrats guys, hope you guys enjoy your cars
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #189
MattM232

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm AT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
You do realize you can't have over head cams simply because its not an inline 4 right? It's a boxer engine. Either way, I'm not engine expert but I suspect this car already has dual cams. One for the left bank and one for the right bank of cylinders. So the idea of an overhead cam giving you more power isn't exactly correct. You can still do what your suggesting by swapping out the current cams for something more to your taste if you like and once they become available in the aftermarket.

When it comes to the power comments, you guys are thinking about this in the wrong way (in my opinion anyway). Have you guys every stopped to realize that the reason why you think you need more power is because the power you have is so controlable? What I'm getting at is the opposite to say a C63 AMG.

If you guys have seen Jeremy Clarkson drive the new C class, you'll know what I'm talking about. That car has so much power its chassis can barely handle it. Let alone the tires. It took Jeremy only 4 laps of the Top Gear test track to completely destroy a set of rear tires! 4 LAPS!!!!

The C63 AMG and just about every car they make with this engine is plain silly. It's such a brute of a car it can be uncontrolable at times.

My thinking behind the FR-S is that the chassis itself is so good that it convinces you that your safe. Meaning you feel like you can push the car faster. As someone posted above, they were doing over the speed limit but didn't even realize it until looking at the speedo. This kind of reaction is what I'm expecting from the FR-S. Everyone feels like it can go faster simply because the feel comfertable doing so.

Thats my take anyway.

Ben
Since you mentioned Top Gear, I cannot wait for them to drive this car, that'll be interesting
MattM232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #190
cRazy604
too nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM232 View Post
Since you mentioned Top Gear, I cannot wait for them to drive this car, that'll be interesting
they're not gonna like it.... since clarkson only thinks about "POWER"
cRazy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #191
MattM232

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm AT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRazy604 View Post
they're not gonna like it.... since clarkson only thinks about "POWER"
This is true, but the number one thing they look for when reviewing a car is passion and soul, which (in my biased opinion :P) this car exudes
MattM232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #192
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
James May is probably gonna be the host to test the FR-S or BRZ if they bring it on the show. He's the one who likes the technical stuff and engineering behind a car, plus he likes cars with good handling. I remember last season where they did an intro for a car review he was doing with great handling, I seriously thought they were gonna do a bit on the BRZ, but they did it on the Corsa and Panda >_>
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #193
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
May will like it for sure hahaha

Yes! I'm going to pick mine up as soon as the PDI is done.

Quote:
Makes me think that I'll have the slowest BRZ in Vancouver when (if? Stupid economy...) I finally get one, being that I'm over 220lbs and every one else sounds smaller/faster.
Motivation for weight reduce? I know I'm going to try and lose 15 pounds at least lol
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #194
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post

Motivation for weight reduce? I know I'm going to try and lose 15 pounds at least lol
Funny thing is when I was fit (shit, like 8 years ago...) I was a very solid 240 lbs. I'm a big guy.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #195
cRazy604
too nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post

l
Finally congrats, i hope to see it on the roads or in pictures
cRazy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #196
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Funny thing is when I was fit (shit, like 8 years ago...) I was a very solid 240 lbs. I'm a big guy.

I'm guessing 6 foot plus eh. What I would give for some of that height hahaha

Sad new Service department was apparently swamped and thus they are delaying the PDI until tomorrow (I had to call and ask too) seriously these delays are killing me and I really do wish they would keep me more informed as oppose to having to answer me as I question them

I would be really pissed but at least its here, landed and tomorrow is less than 24 hours away