follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
COO86L's Aussie 86 GTS

Hi guys!!

Figured it was time I introduced my Toyota 86 GTS.

I bought the car back in October 2015 from Ballina Toyota Australia. I didn't shop at my local Toyota dealer because they are useless and no one likes them.
I've always liked/wanted an 86 but when they first came to Aus they were too popular, and then they were way too expensive.
I first got to drive one in September 2015 when my mate bought one. I went to the dealer the next week and traded in my 2013 Hyundai Veloster (and got a killer deal too!)

The dealers were all telling me about mods they'd heard of such as turbo and supercharger. They told me if I did anything I had to bring it in so they could have a go of it.

Anyway, skip forward 5000km in a month, and I bought a shit tonne of stuff for it including:
Tomei UEL
SME overpipe
Hyperflow test pipe
Perrin 2.5" catback

Got her tuned at Coyote Tuning Brisbane

Here's some random pics because why not?

Both my cars at work because the housemate was borrowing one.

Some engineering because Australia

I made this myself and my mum would be proud
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
COO86L

Then it was time to sort out some form of forced induction!! I searched for a while, scoured this forum since the day I got the car, trying to work out which direction to go.
Pretty much in Australia, you can't get a decent kit for under $6500 AUD (~$4700 USD) which put a lot of them out of my reach.

I was lucky enough that Sprintex themselves had a "second hand" 210 SPS kit on their shelf. It had been put on one of their cars during a demo day, dyno'd and done about 3km and taken off.
I know some of you skeptics will be like "nah it would have been used for more than that etc etc" but the kit was clean as a whistle. Came with all new fittings and if they hadn't have told me it was used, I probably wouldn't have noticed. I got that for hella cheap

Looking pretty in its box

There was a massive stuff around with tuning. To simplify, I wanted to go Flex Fuel even though the closest station is about 100km away. Although my previous tuner did an excellent job and I wanted him to do the tune again, I couldn't afford the tune at the time as the kit itself kinda broke the budget.
I bought Sprintex tuning unit which is a Powergate 3 unit. Same as OFT.
I had to buy BRZedit to remove the tune from my ECU that was done previously. Contact wavered with the tuner after I said I wasn't able to go with his tune until funds were up (and that's all on that matter)

Installation was easy as pie ft. friends

Looks neat as all heck

And this picture because I liked the look ft. front bumper and GTR in the background
Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
COO86L

After flashing with the powergate unit, we were having a lot of stuttering and hesitation issues. Felt like ignition cut. Through talking to Sprintex head engineer/tuner we couldn't figure a reason.

In the end I got sick of this situation and went a different rout so I could get my Flex Fuel kit up and running.
No one in Aus offered reasonable priced tuning for Flex Fuel. And no one had as sterling a reputation as some of the US tuners. So naturally I outsourced.

I was forced to buy my EcuTek kit from MRT in Sydney. They took about 3 weeks to get this to me. I hate them.

I chose to go with Delicious Tuning because Zach replied to me pretty much straight away, was upfront with everything and his general attitude was outstanding!!! I cannot vouch enough for these guys.

I didn't go with their flex unit as with shipping etc and the EcuTek kit, I could have bought a Haltech plug and play. So I bought a Zeitronix ECA2 kit with plug and play loom for $600 AUD. We don't have crazy quick disconnect lines for our fuel lines (only simple hose clamps) so all I needed was a couple dollars worth of fuel hose and we were set.

Here's a mid ECA install glamour shot

After it was all tuned, we started logging to get maximum potential from the tune. With every revision it was crazy good!! Absolutely stoked at the power I ended up getting from this kit.

We hit a "snag" with E85 because even though Delicious can usually tune the Sprintex kits on E85 with stock injectors (website states usually around 350whp achievable on stock injectors), I maxed mine out at about 6000rpm!! They were above their safe duty cycle of 85% at around 5000rpm so I wasn't allowed to drive past that point on E85 Sad times.

Skip forward a few weeks and I bought some DW 700CC injectors and installed. Retuned and WHAM the power is unbelievable!!!

Next on the list is:
New clutch
New fuel pump
Nitrous potentially... (still convincing Zach on this ;D)

Some random pictures!!

I found a friend at a music festival

Pretty...

Washing the Chaser while I did some form of mod to my car...
Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
COO86L

Things changed a lot during all the mods. I had to change exhaust set up due to Supercharger etc

Currently:
Sprintex 210 SPS
Zeitronix ECA2
Perrin Oil Cooler
Perrin 2.5" resonated catback
Standard front pipe
SME overpipe
Tomei UEL headers
Japtek diff brace
Kartboy short shifter
EcuTek tune by Delicious
Eibach Pro springs

Recently I put my car in for warranty work as the front bumper paint had some bubbling forming. Toyota was a dream about it but they subcontract their paint work. The guys who did the work did a very nice paint job, fixed some scratches underneath the front bar and also debadged it for me. But... it was a very bad colour match.

After many discussions, talking to other paint places etc, the car has gone back in again to have the bar resprayed properly. Turns out all they did was paint by the colour code and not do any test lays to make sure it would turn out correct. Not happy Jan!!

We await the return. For the mean time, I am driving my 2015 Lancer 2.5 with an awesome tune on it. It goes hard but not the same as the 86 :'(

Some pictures!!!!

Japtek Diff Brace - I don't mind it

Carpark hangs

Some rear seat delete prototyping ft. Jake

Tags
australia, epiccccc, sexy, sprintex, stock