follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #15
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Not sure on that one. They are hiring big time right now, I personally know 3 people that just started and are working plenty of hours. Also they recently opened a new plant in Germany right across from BMW ( in the last year or so I believe). Doesn't sound like a company on the verge of bankruptcy to me.
That's all investor money (massive debt). They aren't making money/selling enough cars, afaik. Sounds like the path to bankruptcy to me.

Plus Apple's going to sue them for being a trendy electronic gizmo with rounded corners and having a touch screen. Heh...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
Bluecille

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So does it bother anyone that this company recieved $465 million dollars during the automotive bailout to make a car that is close to $50,000 base and fully loaded is close to $100,000? I'm not trying to get to political but was that money, tax payers' money, well spent?
Bluecille is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluecille For This Useful Post:
TAP Auto Parts (11-29-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecille View Post
So does it bother anyone that this company recieved $465 million dollars during the automotive bailout to make a car that is close to $50,000 base and fully loaded is close to $100,000? I'm not trying to get to political but was that money, tax payers' money, well spent?
And has produced only 255 of those cars so far.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...804520180.html

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #18
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yes. The same deadbeat who founded PayPal, which might just be the worst internet startup there ever was.
How do you figure? It sold to Ebay for 1.5 billion, that was the end of Musk's involvement, right? Not too shabby... I've used it handful of times, no complaints. "Worst internet startup" by what measure?

Again, this guy is very likely to be largely responsible for reviving a manned space program in the U.S.

I think they should have aimed a little lower and done a smaller car, but I wish Tesla nothing but success with the Model S.

Obviously, big projects require huge investment, but Musk has demonstrated that he's responsible with large-scale projects and he gets results. He's not just in it for a buck, he wants to DO stuff, and he has demonstrated that he's capable of getting incredible results (private firm creates vehicle that docks with the space station, this is no small feat).
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-27-2012), einzlr (11-13-2012), meWant (11-14-2012), Rampage (11-13-2012), SkullWorks (11-13-2012), SVTSHC (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
brufleth

Drives: 2007 WRX
Tesla took my favorite car (Lotus Elise) and turned it into an electric dog by blowing even more money on losing weight and then piling in hundreds of pounds of batteries.

For this I'll never forgive them.
brufleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #20
grodenglaive

Drives: asphalt FR-S
Garage
I'm glad to see there are many that are willing to invest in the future.
I had a ride in a Tesla roadster at an autocross event this summer. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and it goes 245 miles on a charge. It's an amazing achievement. It's no surprise they are having their fair share of problems getting the sedan (model s) into full production though, it's a new technology.
grodenglaive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grodenglaive For This Useful Post:
gdi2290 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #21
FrX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1993 Lexus SC300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Last I had heard, Tesla expects to be cash-flow positive next quarter. A far cry from bankruptcy.

PayPal notwithstanding (even though he hasn't had any involvement in years), I greatly admire Elon Musk for the money he has dumped into the research and development of new technologies in respect to his electric car and space ventures. This is in contrast to the countless other millionaires and billionaires who only use their money to speculate on short-term investments.

In addition, his enterprises are remarkably vertically integrated. The great majority of the actual manufacturing of Tesla cars and SpaceX rockets is done in the US, rather than via international contractors. Keeping this money in the hands of US residents.

This is *good* for the country.
FrX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FrX For This Useful Post:
blu_ (11-14-2012), Dadhawk (11-27-2012), gdi2290 (11-13-2012), pyro530 (11-29-2012), Rampage (11-13-2012), SkullWorks (11-13-2012), SVTSHC (11-13-2012), ZDan (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #22
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brufleth View Post
Tesla took my favorite car (Lotus Elise) and turned it into an electric dog by blowing even more money on losing weight and then piling in hundreds of pounds of batteries.

For this I'll never forgive them.
???

Tesla didn't do anything that affected the Lotus Elise in a negative way. You love the Elise, I love it too, I don't think anything Tesla did reduced the number of Elises available.

You should be a LOT more worried about the current owners of Lotus, want to turn it into something else entirely, and never do another car like the Elise again

The Tesla Roadster is an extremely cool car, and it is pretty quick. And it is lighter than the FR-S/BRZ! Can't fault Tesla for starting with the lightest-weight sports car available.

And again, it's not like Tesla killed the Elise! If anything, they helped Lotus' bottom-line a bit. Unfortunately the Lotus that gave us the Elise is probably gone away now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
einzlr (11-13-2012), gdi2290 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Tesla and any other car manufacturer making electric cars wont really woo car people. Electric cars have two very major things going against them; the complexity of the car and the utter lack of upgrade-ability. Another huge turn off is the sound...or lack thereof. I'll take the sound of any combustion engine over the sound of an electric motor. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds is commendable, but how long does that battery last under spirited driving? 240 miles is best case, then what? Pray you're near some place with the ability to charge or youre SOL.

Its great that the car exists as a testament to ingenuity, but its actually even less practical than an Elise and such a niche car that its a joke that is was even considered for motortrends car of the year. I dont care that the Twins didnt get it, but the Tesla? Seriously? Its about as relevant as the DeLorean was, but with substantially less recognition from hollyweird.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #24
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
I think it's well deserved. It's an electric that has the long range, utility, and speed (I saw some video of it out drag a current model M5). Yes it's expensive but technology will always get cheaper and trickle down to less expensive product. This may be the car that begins the death of the ancient internal combustion engine.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanzo For This Useful Post:
blu_ (11-14-2012), gdi2290 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Tesla and any other car manufacturer making electric cars wont really woo car people.
They already are. Going forward, electric vehicles will only make more sense for more people. I commute on my electric motorcycle/scooter (big bike, capable of 70mph on the highway) when the weather allows. In one week I save ~$27 vs. taking my 50mpg motorcycle, $50 vs. my 27mpg car.

Quote:
Electric cars have two very major things going against them; the complexity of the car
An electric motor, motor controller, and battery pack are less complicated than an internal combustion engine and all they systems that support it.

Quote:
and the utter lack of upgrade-ability.
The vast majority of the motoring public don't upgrade the powerplant performance of their cars, but anyway there's certainly the possibility to add voltage, modify controls software, etc. etc with electrics (I've done this).

Quote:
Another huge turn off is the sound...or lack thereof. I'll take the sound of any combustion engine over the sound of an electric motor.
And many will prefer a quieter powerplant.
Quote:
0-60 in 3.7 seconds is commendable, but how long does that battery last under spirited driving? 240 miles is best case, then what? Pray you're near some place with the ability to charge or youre SOL.
You wouldn't take an electric vehicle on a long trip (at least not with a well-developed plan) any more than you'd take a 19' sailboat across the Atlantic, of course.

Quote:
Its great that the car exists as a testament to ingenuity, but its actually even less practical than an Elise
For most people, for most of their usage, the Model S is going to be quite practical, MUCH more so than the Elise (a car designed for very different purposes). You can take the kids to school, go to work, take clients to lunch, go shopping, etc. etc. with the Model S.

Quote:
and such a niche car that its a joke that is was even considered for motortrends car of the year. I dont care that the Twins didnt get it, but the Tesla? Seriously? Its about as relevant as the DeLorean was, but with substantially less recognition from hollyweird.
Since when is "recognition from holyweird" any kind of measure of significance?

The move to electric vehicles is not an all/nothing proposition. Electric vehicles will continue to make more sense to more people over a time scale of years/decades.

The Model S is a niche car, but it is also a significant car, a harbinger.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (11-14-2012), BRZfan (11-13-2012), einzlr (11-13-2012), iBRZ (11-17-2012), kwood9000 (11-13-2012), MSIZZLE (11-28-2012), RaceR (11-13-2012), SVTSHC (11-13-2012), Want.FR-S (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
brzninja

Drives: 2015 WRB WRX Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Yahoo named Tesla S as CotY as well. I still don't understand why they would pick such a limited run car as the CotY.

Oh well...maybe next year.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #27
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would expect that Tesla will be further supported by the federal gov't (that's us). We'll just have to wait and see.

Haven't read the Motor Trend report yet. I wonder what their evaluation was for the DeLorean. Any car historians out there?

Also, isn't Tesla in the process of developing am more broadly-marketed vehicle?
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Tesla and any other car manufacturer making electric cars wont really woo car people. Electric cars have two very major things going against them; the complexity of the car and the utter lack of upgrade-ability. Another huge turn off is the sound...or lack thereof. I'll take the sound of any combustion engine over the sound of an electric motor. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds is commendable, but how long does that battery last under spirited driving? 240 miles is best case, then what? Pray you're near some place with the ability to charge or youre SOL.

Its great that the car exists as a testament to ingenuity, but its actually even less practical than an Elise and such a niche car that its a joke that is was even considered for motortrends car of the year. I dont care that the Twins didnt get it, but the Tesla? Seriously? Its about as relevant as the DeLorean was, but with substantially less recognition from hollyweird.
I, for one, am much more optimistic that we wll develop the technology to make cars electric or from some other source of energy. Now if we can only get more engineers and scientists out of our colleges. But that's another issue that isn't worth discussing in this forum of car enthusiasts.

...."the sound of any combustion engine..." isn't on the minds of the vast majority of car buyers, 'sports cars' yes, but this technology is slated for all cars. I am aware of at least two cars that have engine sounds piped into the interior or the car: The BRZ and the Mustang Boss 302. Sounds can always be 'manufactured'.

Regarding being "SOL on charging locations": the Suppy will follow the Demand as have gas stations during the growing popularity of horseless carraiges.

Last edited by BRZfan; 11-13-2012 at 09:19 AM.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote