follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #127
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
For my information, can you explain a bit more why it was no good? Didn't you see any temperature difference at all?
It can never cool the oil below your coolant temps (so on track, 200f maybe? and it will never get even close to that). In a way, that style of cooler is really more of an "oil warmer" for cold-weather climates, as it gets your oil up to temperature faster. But there's no way it can cool enough for serious track use.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #128
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
It can never cool the oil below your coolant temps (so on track, 200f maybe? and it will never get even close to that). In a way, that style of cooler is really more of an "oil warmer" for cold-weather climates, as it gets your oil up to temperature faster. But there's no way it can cool enough for serious track use.
Properly designed and sized, a water-to-oil cooler is considerably more efficient than an air-to-oil cooler. So, while the Forester version may not be suitable, I wouldn't toss out all water-to-oil coolers.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #129
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Properly designed and sized, a water-to-oil cooler is considerably more efficient than an air-to-oil cooler. So, while the Forester version may not be suitable, I wouldn't toss out all water-to-oil coolers.
Examples?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #130
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Why would you expect your oil to be below water temps? 200F is not to be expected with any cooler.

I've read that the stand alone oil cooler is "better" but haven't seen any evidence as to why.

I've also read people praising the JR combo, so, yeah...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #131
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Why would you expect your oil to be below water temps? 200F is not to be expected with any cooler.

I've read that the stand alone oil cooler is "better" but haven't seen any evidence as to why.

Okay, here goes some theory-craft based on thermodynamics:

Cooling efficiency depends on a couple of factors and the biggies are 1. surface area and 2. temperature differences between the hot and cold places.

Both the coolant and the oil share responsibility for cooling the engine, so with the heat exchanger you're dumping the cooling responsibility of the oil into the coolant and if you don't increase the efficiency of your radiator (make it bigger, add more fins, etc) you'll just max out the radiator faster under heavy load. Water/coolant can retain lots of heat but that's a double edged sword, and once you've started to boil your coolant you're going to have a bad day. If you go with the heat exchanger, you'll need to upgrade your radiator and fans to see any significant benefits at the track.

With an air to oil OC, you've added extra surface area to cool stuff off and since the oil is hotter than the coolant, more heat is shed with the same radiator area (one of the reasons why OC's are smaller than radiators). The oil also retains less heat than water/coolant and changes temperature faster (lower specific heat and density). Adding a "normal" oil cooler is all you have to do to get the desired benefits.

Both strategies can be viable as long as you are aware of your needs and the limitations of whichever you choose. If you don't want or need to upgrade your radiator, the air to oil coolers are the way to go; however, if you are in the process of replacing or upgrading your radiator anyway you could get away with a Forester type heat exchanger (the heat exchangers also help heat cold oil up to operating temps faster, whereas the other type will increase the warm up times).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (10-19-2018), Sleepless (10-20-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #132
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:

I have the JR Dual-Rad, and it's awesome. But I think you're misunderstanding how it works. It is not an oil to water cooler in the traditional sense.

Also, important to note that the oil temp reading using the OEM sensor is /after/ the cooler, not before the cooler, because the cooler runs off a sandwich plate. So, yeah, it's totally possible to see 200F on track with an oil cooler, but that is it's temp after cooling, it's peak temp (pre-cooling) is probably 50-80F higher than that.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:00 AM   #133
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Examples?
A large Laminova, mounted in a location of your choosing.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #134
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
A large Laminova, mounted in a location of your choosing.

Just checked those out. They have a combined one that uses one coolant feed to handle two separate oil cooler circuits so you can run a single unit in an out of the way place and cool engine oil and transmission fluid. That's /highly/ interesting to me, although I think I've already solved my cooling problems.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #135
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Just checked those out. They have a combined one that uses one coolant feed to handle two separate oil cooler circuits so you can run a single unit in an out of the way place and cool engine oil and transmission fluid. That's /highly/ interesting to me, although I think I've already solved my cooling problems.
It's something I've considered to cool my transmission as well, but would rather do an air cooler.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #136
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Examples?

The Jackson Racing combo cooler is actually a water to oil cooler, and seems to be satisfying those who have it. The part that cool the oil has no fins or aiflow and is only water cooled.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nico_rsx For This Useful Post:
fatoni (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #137
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
stu already pretty much covered it, but i was mostly referring to the delta between oil temp and coolant temp.

and edit: for DD, my air-to-oil OC keeps things around 180 in the summer, and dangerously low in the winter. i usually tie some cardboard over the rad to keep things warmer.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (10-19-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #138
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
I'm 80% sure I'm going to FRS. I kind of want a CLEAN project car anyway. Back in college and shortly after, I was always working on some old POS (didn't help I was in the rust belt either) and lost my interest in jacking with cars. I enjoy working on my grand sport
I'm kind of over breaking bolts, dealing with seized stuff and stripping crap on 20 year old cars in my garage.
Working on old cars sucks.
Working on new cars is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBRZ View Post
If you have time, please read Car and Driver in their October issue. Go to page 47 and read the story about their lightening lap. It sums it all. !
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...tning-lap-2018
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #139
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Funny to think of GM ownership being so costly.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #140
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Examples?
Every water cooled Porsche as far as I know. You don't see them cooking their oil at the track!

The physics works in favor of water-to-oil coolers due to the way higher density of water compared to air.