follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Cant quote.
If you want to use things to help your case you should at least read them. None of the "random" examples show catastrophic issues. They are all minor concerns (or no concern as seen in the video) that are blown out of proportion.
As said just get rid of the car since it will never shift to your standard and even if it did at this point you will just find some other monitor point (i.e. a noisy fuel pump) to bother you.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #44
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I stand by what I said about dealers, but after watching OP's video I wish my transmission shifted as well as his.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #45
runfrodorun

Drives: Red 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I stand by what I said about dealers, but after watching OP's video I wish my transmission shifted as well as his.

That’s not my car. As you said it though, I sure wish it were.
runfrodorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #46
runfrodorun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Cant quote.
If you want to use things to help your case you should at least read them. None of the "random" examples show catastrophic issues. They are all minor concerns (or no concern as seen in the video) that are blown out of proportion.
As said just get rid of the car since it will never shift to your standard and even if it did at this point you will just find some other monitor point (i.e. a noisy fuel pump) to bother you.

If you reas the OP i said I posted those links to show that we are no stranger to this information. If you want me to go find ten more links hat are better examples, I can do it, they’re everywhere... and the fact that there are links everywhere was the only thing I meant for readers to get out of that.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #47
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrodorun View Post
I appreciate your reply and that you’re trying to help me.

My friends have told me the same thing and I know you all are right. What’s holding me back is I don’t want somebody to have my address (which you have to write on the title) and then come to kill me. I’m legitimately concerned.

There is option D, destroy it with sledgehammers and drive it off a cliff into the ravine.
If that is a real concern then you need to trade it in at a dealer. That will eliminate your "trail". Of course, if you go with option D you could probably sell tickets to recoup some money and then do a part out to recoup more....

You could also donate it to a charity. That won't get you all your money back but it will get some back (your tax rate percentage). You could even pick a charity you really DON'T like and maybe there is some satisfaction in that.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #48
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I appreciate your reply and that you’re trying to help me.

My friends have told me the same thing and I know you all are right. What’s holding me back is I don’t want somebody to have my address (which you have to write on the title) and then come to kill me. I’m legitimately concerned.

There is option D, destroy it with sledgehammers and drive it off a cliff into the ravine.
Hi ya, there, runfrodorun.

I've waded through your OP and all of the replies.

As others have suggested, I also suggest that you go to a non-Subaru dealership, trade your car in and buy a different car.

I'd recommend that you do this before "the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy".

Just for your reference, I've driven hundreds of MT vehicles, for hundreds of thousands of miles and I have found that the MT in my 2013 FR-S, shifts smoother (or as smooth) as any MT car that I've driven (except the five speed in my old miata).

Yes, I still can shift up through the first four gears without using the clutch or grinding any gears or hitting a notch, consistently, even with a cold transmission.

So, for your own peace of mind, I hope you get your situation resolved soon.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-07-2018), Dadhawk (10-04-2018), spike021 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
If you reas the OP i said I posted those links to show that we are no stranger to this information. If you want me to go find ten more links hat are better examples, I can do it, they’re everywhere... and the fact that there are links everywhere was the only thing I meant for readers to get out of that.
Meh. You go looking for problems you will find problems. Most of these "issue" threads address a stiffness when cold. It is not a problem with the transmission it is simply a sign of the close tolerances that it was built to. Sure there are even some that actually failed but you could probably count them on two hands. You may indeed have had a bad one but that does not mean that they all or even a majority are bad.

I did read your essay and much of it is pure hogwash. I love how you feel that 50K on a five year old car is an "extreme amount of driving and road trips". Would love to know where I can pick up all these "good used Porsches" at half the price of a BRZ.

The irony is that when you go to sell it you will want top dollar and when you don't get that whine about being ripped off. Well it is shit like this that helps drive down the price so whatever you get for it you helped bring it there.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #50
runfrodorun

Quote:
Meh. You go looking for problems you will find problems. Most of these "issue" threads address a stiffness when cold. It is not a problem with the transmission it is simply a sign of the close tolerances that it was built to. Sure there are even some that actually failed but you could probably count them on two hands. You may indeed have had a bad one but that does not mean that they all or even a majority are bad.

I did read your essay and much of it is pure hogwash. I love how you feel that 50K on a five year old car is an "extreme amount of driving and road trips". Would love to know where I can pick up all these "good used Porsches" at half the price of a BRZ.

The irony is that when you go to sell it you will want top dollar and when you don't get that whine about being ripped off. Well it is shit like this that helps drive down the price so whatever you get for it you helped bring it there.
I don’t follow.

If it grinds only when it’s cold, sure that means it doesn’t grind when it’s warm, but he damage is still going to add up if you take shorter trips or are in the city and shift a lot cold. I still don’t call that ok. More, mine has had issues on 10 hours of highway time in a 120 degree desert, so clearly that’s not the only troublesome condition.

More, I stated that the conditions I was driving under were extreme, I.e. 120 degree desert at 85 mph for days on end. But the fact that the car has had so little miles on it and they are all highway miles is why the fact that I’ve had so many problems with this car and not the others that I’ve own all the more puzzling. I said these things because I’m trying to be fair for exactly the reason that I’m aware other people have had different experiences with the vehicle.

More, I think I was very upfront in the OP that I’m not denying different people have had different results with the car. Mines a 2013. Maybe that’s a problem, but if it is Subaru should fix it.

Regarding sale, I am not looking for top dollar, I’m looking for it to be gone and stop taking years off my life from the high blood pressure; I know I will not get it top dollar with transmission problems, no chance! even if he transmission only has 10,000 highway miles on it. That’s why I’m so upset! I briefly considered driving the car off a cliff and jumping out and filming it because at least it would make for good tv.

Sorry, not in the mood for this.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #51
Tcoat

runfrodorun (10-04-2018), spike021 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #52
runfrodorun

Quote:
Heck yeah
The Following User Says Thank You to runfrodorun For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #53
runfrodorun

Idk and I guess as far as machining tolerances, there’s two ways you can phrase it:

1. It has tight machining tolerances and grinds when it’s cold
2. It’s a transmission, the only thing it has to do is change gears and widthstand a small amount of torque, and they forgot to account for the fact that the car is cold when you first start it during engineering

I favor the second view. Transmissions that don’t grind is a problem that has been solved over and over again since we got synchros on our gearboxes!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #54
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
At 100k miles, its rare if I can get a quiet mesh of 2nd at low rpm, I have to ninja shift.

1st to 2nd gear can get sticky when cold. Have to either double clutch or rev a bit to wake it up. Otherwise, it will stick and grind itself until its in gear. It might be a lash issue, clearances and tolerances aren't the same when its cold vs warm.

@Tcoat the gif is seizure-riffic thanks
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #55
Tcoat

Quote:
Idk and I guess as far as machining tolerances, there’s two ways you can phrase it:

1. It has tight machining tolerances and grinds when it’s cold
2. It’s a transmission, the only thing it has to do is change gears and widthstand a small amount of torque, and they forgot to account for the fact that the car is cold when you first start it during engineering

I favor the second view. Transmissions that don’t grind is a problem that has been solved over and over again since we got synchros on our gearboxes!
Maybe if you post a video of the "grind" we would have a better idea of what you are up against. Mine (and many others) have never had a "grind" at any temperature.

I am pretty sure the engineers that designed the transmission are well aware that it is cold when you start the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #56
runfrodorun

Quote:
Maybe if you post a video of the "grind" we would have a better idea of what you are up against. Mine (and many others) have never had a "grind" at any temperature.

I am pretty sure the engineers that designed the transmission are well aware that it is cold when you start the car.
Well I don’t want to drive the car, but I recorded audio of all the grinding for like a month, though Subaru of America, conveniently, to use their words, “does not accept videos or recordings as evidence” (yeah, because then they’d have to fix it!!) so if I go through those I can probably edit them to demonstrate it.

Like I said, I haven’t reproduced anything on the level of the worst it’s been yet, but it certainly hasn’t been good. So I can demonstrate audio clips of some nasty stuff.

I’ll look at this again when I get home.