follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
FRStrent

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Valenti Tail Light Inside Bubbling?

So I've had Valenti tail lights for over 4 months now with no issues that were present in the past with the previous versions.

But over the weekend I noticed something strange and wanted to ask if anyone else have had this issue.

If you look closely at the pictures you can see, what appears to be, small bubbling or some sort of.... something.... on the inside of the lens. I've tried to wipe it off with no luck so I came to the conclusion that this is on the inside.

Anyone else every see this before? Any idea as to what it is or how to fix it? I've already contacted Mod Bargain because they are under warranty. I just don't want to get a new set and then have this happen again. If I can figure out what it is I may be able to prevent it from happening in the future.

Thank you.
Attached Images

FRStrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
FRStrent

Mod Bargain responded to my email regarding the white dots on the inside of the lens. I sent them the pictures and let's see what they say about it.

Has anyone else seen this before? It's hard to believe they are on the inside of the lens unless there was condensation and the condensation dried leaving behind these white dots. I'm not sure.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
i've never seen that before, but from the way it looks it looks like it could either be:

water that got inside, condensed, then dried like that. OR

tiny plastic pieces from something unknown that got in there and is sticking due to static.

Either way it looks like they would probably need to be opened to clean out. seals are probably bad.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
From the pics, it looks like it's on the outside (can see it in the reflections while if it was on the inside you wouldn't)

Looks like something that's attacking the plastic or stuck to it (tree sap maybe?). I'd try a plastic polish on them to see what happens. It's probably on your paint too, just not as noticeable...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
FRStrent

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Yeah I have no idea what this is. I have tried everything I have around the house and tonight I am going to buy some things to try.

I was thinking tree sap and somehow it got down so far into the plastic that I can't feel it when I run my finger over it.

And you are right about the car. If I look very closely I can see tiny raised bumps on the paint. I was parked under trees over the weekend.

So far I have had no luck in getting this off the lights or the paint but all I had was some detail spray.

I just hope I can get it off both the lights and the paint. I like the idea of plastic polish I wonder if that will work. Anyone have any ideas on getting sap off the paint? It's baked on there since where I was it got up to 90 degrees during the day and was in direct sunlight so I'm sure it baked right on.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRStrent View Post
Thanks for the reply, guys.

Yeah I have no idea what this is. I have tried everything I have around the house and tonight I am going to buy some things to try.

I was thinking tree sap and somehow it got down so far into the plastic that I can't feel it when I run my finger over it.

And you are right about the car. If I look very closely I can see tiny raised bumps on the paint. I was parked under trees over the weekend.

So far I have had no luck in getting this off the lights or the paint but all I had was some detail spray.

I just hope I can get it off both the lights and the paint. I like the idea of plastic polish I wonder if that will work. Anyone have any ideas on getting sap off the paint? It's baked on there since where I was it got up to 90 degrees during the day and was in direct sunlight so I'm sure it baked right on.

Thanks.
What type of cleaners have you used? If youre having a tough time maybe try clay baring it.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
FRStrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
What type of cleaners have you used? If youre having a tough time maybe try clay baring it.
I used Ice Detailing spray and tried waxing it off. Used a more rough micro fiber cloth.

I was thinking clay bar, as well. I have a friend who works at a chevy dealership and he says he's gonna bring home some stuff to get it off the paint (assuming it is sap). If that gets it off the paint then great. Now to focus on the tail lights.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
brandonblt2

Quote:
I used Ice Detailing spray and tried waxing it off. Used a more rough micro fiber cloth.

I was thinking clay bar, as well. I have a friend who works at a chevy dealership and he says he's gonna bring home some stuff to get it off the paint (assuming it is sap). If that gets it off the paint then great. Now to focus on the tail lights.
Wax does not remove dirt, try washing your car with some carwash soap before the clay bar see if that removes it might save you some time.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
FRStrent

I got good news and I got bad news.

My friend, who details cars for a living, came over and was able to buff the stuff off the tail light. He said he has never seen anything like this before and is not sure what it is.

The bad, he tried buffing a spot on the car and the little marks on the paint won't come off. Now these spots are so small that you have to be like an inch away from the car and at the perfect angle and in perfect light to see them so it is possible that they have been there all along. Not sure.

Some may or may not remember but I had my front bumper re-sprayed a few months back due to a minor accident on my girlfriends behalf, and I cannot see these marks on the bumper. So I am sort of compelled to believe that this my just be in the paint and I have not seen them before? I am not sure?

I can try to get a picture of these marks on the paint but I doubt a camera will pick them up.

The car is still under the extended warranty I bought for it so I may have to bring the car to Scion and see if it's a paint defect and I also have full coverage on the vehicle so comprehensive would cover it.

I might try to buff it more or just give it sometime and see if they go away. Not sure. It's really not bothering me since you can't see them unless, like I said above, you're like an inch away.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
FRStrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Wax does not remove dirt, try washing your car with some carwash soap before the clay bar see if that removes it might save you some time.
Would clay bar be more effective than a buffer?

My friend says he has some higher grade compound that will "cut" better but didn't want to use it last night because once he puts it on the car it's a 4 step process to get it off and polish and we were running low on light.

The marks do look a little better in the spots he buffed so maybe one of these days we will try the 4 step process and see if that helps.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #11
brandonblt2

Quote:
Would clay bar be more effective than a buffer?

My friend says he has some higher grade compound that will "cut" better but didn't want to use it last night because once he puts it on the car it's a 4 step process to get it off and polish and we were running low on light.

The marks do look a little better in the spots he buffed so maybe one of these days we will try the 4 step process and see if that helps.
Im not a pro detailer or anything like that but I'm pretty sure that before you buffer you want to wash your car, then clay to pick up removing contaminants, raise, then buff it, and then wax it.

Clay bars help remove stuck on grim and crap from your car. A buffer is used to smooth and level off your clearcoat so it removes swirls and light scratches. So clay bar sounds like it would be better for your situation.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
FRStrent

I might have to give that a shot.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:01 AM   #13
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Try something like bug and tar remover? Tends to work on tree sap really well, but it might simply have damaged the paint at this point...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote