follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru2000 View Post
Maybe it's normal with Toyota but I've had nissan and mitsu's and neither of them have this peculiar behavior.

I'm talking about in case of brake failure at night and you have to use the ebrake (yes, it's not the drifting handle) your saying it will shut off all lights? I don't think that's correct and if it is, extremely dangerous, if that were the case.
If the headlights are on, I don't believe it would shut the actual headlights off, because as you alluded to, that would be dangerous.

But if you are, let's say, backing into a parking spot, and you turn the headlights off and then pull the e-brake up, all exterior lights that remain on (running lights) would turn off when the e-brake is engaged.

You're probably right; not EVERY car will have this feature, but it's become pretty common-place it seems.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #16
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
But if you are, let's say, backing into a parking spot, and you turn the headlights off and then pull the e-brake up, all exterior lights that remain on (running lights) would turn off when the e-brake is engaged.
This is not properly worded. The ONLY lights that respond to the handbrake are the FRONT DRLs. NO OTHER LIGHTS respond to the position of the handbrake. Your running lights would remain on if they were on.

There are a lot of people making assumptions here, or saying incorrect things. This isn't very complicated, nor is it hard to just spend 30 seconds with your car to figure out how it all works, but for those who are still confused:

1. Daytime Running Lamps: These turn on automatically when the handbrake is released. The ONLY time they are not on is if the handbrake is engaged, and/or your main headlights are on.

2. Parking/Running Lights: These turn on when you switch the headlight control stalk to the associated position. Turning these on has NO effect on your DRLs, and they are also in no way "connected" to the parking brake. They stay on as long as they are switched on. Period.

3. Headlights: These turn on automatically based on brightness if you have the stalk set to Auto, or turn on when you manually turn them on. When they are turned on, the DRLs are disabled. These are also in no way connected to the operation of the parking brake.

Someone can feel free to step in if the Scion FR-S operates differently, but I would assume it functions in the same way.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Tristor (05-23-2018), Ultramaroon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #17
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Maybe it's normal with Toyota but I've had nissan and mitsu's and neither of them have this peculiar behavior.

I'm talking about in case of brake failure at night and you have to use the ebrake (yes, it's not the drifting handle) your saying it will shut off all lights? I don't think that's correct and if it is, extremely dangerous, if that were the case.

Unfortunately, you have a common misconception about what that handle is for. It is listed, in the manual and elsewhere, as a PARKING brake. It is not an Emergency or E-brake, and will likely fail fairly quickly if you used it in an emergency situation at speed. If your brakes fail, downshifting would probably be a more effective emergency slowing solution than yanking on something that is just designed to keep a car in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-23-2018), Tristor (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

This has been normal on all cars since the 80s when daylight running lights became the norm for most places. I have had 8 Mitsubishis and they all did it. The e brake will only turn off the daylight running lights if pulled while stopped. It does not shut everything off if they are all turned on at any time. Go try it on any car and you will see that it is real and normal.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Unfortunately, you have a common misconception about what that handle is for. It is listed, in the manual and elsewhere, as a PARKING brake. It is not an Emergency or E-brake, and will likely fail fairly quickly if you used it in an emergency situation at speed. If your brakes fail, downshifting would probably be a more effective emergency slowing solution than yanking on something that is just designed to keep a car in place.
Yep, the term "emergency brake" (which I will probably always call it) was from the beginning of cars up until the 70s or so. Back in the "they don't build them like they used too" days the brake systems were a single set of lines run by one master. If your lost brake pressure you lost it to all the brakes at the same time. In that case the "e brake" was exactly that. It was for emergency stopping with parking being the secondary function. Once they started using dual system brakes (one for front and one for back) the brake became more of a parking brake that could be used in emergencies. Those emergencies became secondary since they were so much less likely.
humfrz (05-23-2018), HunterGreene (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
This is not properly worded. The ONLY lights that respond to the handbrake are the FRONT DRLs. NO OTHER LIGHTS respond to the position of the handbrake. Your running lights would remain on if they were on.

There are a lot of people making assumptions here, or saying incorrect things. This isn't very complicated, nor is it hard to just spend 30 seconds with your car to figure out how it all works, but for those who are still confused:

1. Daytime Running Lamps: These turn on automatically when the handbrake is released. The ONLY time they are not on is if the handbrake is engaged, and/or your main headlights are on.

2. Parking/Running Lights: These turn on when you switch the headlight control stalk to the associated position. Turning these on has NO effect on your DRLs, and they are also in no way "connected" to the parking brake. They stay on as long as they are switched on. Period.

3. Headlights: These turn on automatically based on brightness if you have the stalk set to Auto, or turn on when you manually turn them on. When they are turned on, the DRLs are disabled. These are also in no way connected to the operation of the parking brake.

Someone can feel free to step in if the Scion FR-S operates differently, but I would assume it functions in the same way.
FRS and pretty much every other car works exactly the same. None of this is new.
Stang70Fastback (05-23-2018), Tristor (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #21
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Next you are going to tell me it is hidden in a secret door just fwd of the passenger!
Omg.....I found the door!!!! It blended in so well! I bet you didn't know about the secret lever next to the seat that opens up another secret door on the right side of the car. That one had a double secret mechanism that turned counter clockwise. After I opened it, it was dark in there and I didn't have my flashlight so I used a match.

(Disclaimer)
Rednecks please don't try this at home.
pcguru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pcguru2000 For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (05-23-2018), Tcoat (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #22
Tcoat

Meh. Might as well get some mileage out of it after all the hard work:

humfrz (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #23
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep, the term "emergency brake" (which I will probably always call it) was from the beginning of cars up until the 70s or so. Back in the "they don't build them like they used too" days the brake systems were a single set of lines run by one master. If your lost brake pressure you lost it to all the brakes at the same time. In that case the "e brake" was exactly that. It was for emergency stopping with parking being the secondary function. Once they started using dual system brakes (one for front and one for back) the brake became more of a parking brake that could be used in emergencies. Those emergencies became secondary since they were so much less likely.
I also call it the "tailgater check brake" as it doesn't light up your tails on the asshole riding up your butt. Usually makes them experience a good panic brake and then they learn stay back and give some adequate stopping room.

Another function before having my BRZ was to slow a speeding car without dropping the front when approaching an officer; however, the BRZ DRLs basically advertised that I was braking using the e-brake/parking brake so there went that use...
pcguru2000 (05-23-2018), Tcoat (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #24
Kimsey47

Quote:
Meh. Might as well get some mileage out of it after all the hard work:

That looks like a whole lot of MANUAL labor there Tcoat!
Tcoat (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #25
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It's a parking brake

If you knew that you would also know there is a manual [transmission] (ba dum tshhh)

I'll see myself out
Old 05-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
That looks like a whole lot of MANUAL labor there Tcoat!
*labour.
JustSomeGuy (05-23-2018), Ultramaroon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #27
Kimsey47

Quote:
*labour.

My bad, I forgot!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #28
Grady