follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #57
rendyr

Drives: new GT86 buyer
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got my unit installed (JY-TL123N2). Best Buy did it for me because I just wanted it done, but it was nice, they only charged me $99 for it, which is not bad. Backup camera works, GPS works (mounted in dash behind unit), microphone is great (mounted above rearview mirror), steering wheel controls work, everything works. Looks really nice in my 86 Special Edition!

rendyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #58
rendyr

Drives: new GT86 buyer
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ah, and Joying just sent me the specific file to update to 6.0.1 which went smoothly.
rendyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #59
Thetal1

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i believe the 2017 86 wiring might be a little different. i followed the schematics but the wires do not match up on the plug. is the a color guide for the 2017 so i know what to repin the harnes to match?

fwiw the camera is getting signal but no video and the amp wire is not powering anything.
Attached Images

Thetal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:08 AM   #60
infinitewhiskey

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetal1 View Post
i believe the 2017 86 wiring might be a little different. i followed the schematics but the wires do not match up on the plug. is the a color guide for the 2017 so i know what to repin the harnes to match?

fwiw the camera is getting signal but no video and the amp wire is not powering anything.
Not sure how closely this relates to the 2017, but the camera and amp wires were relocated for the 2016. My 28 pin connector is the same as yours.

There's a stock connector that has only 4 pins in it for only the camera. You need a 12V to 6V converter for the reverse wire and will have to tap into the stock wires unless you find and buy the correct connector.

You need a Video RCA cable with a positive and negative. I bought this 28 pin harness and cut the video wires out. This connector fits the 28 pin stock one so I used it to for the reverse wire and grounds so that I didn't have to tap the stock harness.

And then on the stock 10 pin connector, there is a brown wire that is for your amp.

Hope this helps.
infinitewhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #61
laguayo

Drives: BRZ Limited DGM Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cool Another HU not to try

I found a really nice looking unit from Daisata(Hot-Audio) V600 I was on the fence about trying it, the dimensions fit the 200mmx100mm slot that the BRZ has but it actually goes too deep in and required a lot of effort to get it to sit ok in the current MY17 trim.

The biggest flaw with the unit is the brightness in sunlight it becomes impossible to use when in direct sun with the highest brightness setting. Other than that the OS is smooth and mostly everything works but I can't seem to get calls to work. I do plan to get a different trim piece to fit the slot better. It has the better resolution 1024*600 but I doubt it makes a difference at this size. I can't honestly recommend, wish I would have gone a different route.

The newer metra harness worked pretty well AXSUB28SWC6V comes with the step down but the pins are annoying to straighten with the BRZ harness.

laguayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #62
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayo View Post
The newer metra harness worked pretty well AXSUB28SWC6V comes with the step down but the pins are annoying to straighten with the BRZ harness.
]
Were you able to make everything (aside from phone calls) work? Steering wheel buttons and stock backup camera?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:57 AM   #63
laguayo

Drives: BRZ Limited DGM Automatic
Stock camera with the newer metra harness, steering wheel controls worked without any modification, I followed the OP's guide for the wiring.

I also maintained my aux usb with the OP's mentioned connector, I haven't had the chance to test aux in even though its wired up. I used the GPS module and mic that came with the unit, after seeing all the attempts to splice in the mic I decided not to try to retain stock mic, it's not fully mounted.

I was able to take a call today with the unit I didn't realize the volume was at 0, I just raised the volume on my steering wheel and was able to hear the person over the phone but was told they could hear themselves echo over the phone.
laguayo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laguayo For This Useful Post:
Gaiakai (01-16-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #64
Thetal1

hey so who has a picture of the the BRZ connector? i want to see the wire colors. After comparing the wiring on the instructions there are a couple pins that have no wires that are supposed to. i assume the 2017 changed a few things
Old 03-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #65
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
hey so who has a picture of the the BRZ connector? i want to see the wire colors. After comparing the wiring on the instructions there are a couple pins that have no wires that are supposed to. i assume the 2017 changed a few things
Did you gets this figured out?. My 2017 has the same harness(s) as yours. Do share!

el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:15 AM   #66
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Got my DDX917WS all hooked up!!.. The unit came with a 28-pin connector with wires for the steering wheel controls. I added wires for reverse, speed, and OEM AUX connections. Had to sacrifice a new AX-SUB28SWC connector to accomplish this but well worth it. for the OEM camera(24-pin connector) I used AXTOYCAM3-6V. For the OEM USB I used PAC USB_TY1. I wrapped my custom made harness with Tesa cloth tape.

el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #67
hestekinj

Drives: 2014 BRZ - WRB
Hide android 'soft keys'

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayo View Post
I found a really nice looking unit from Daisata(Hot-Audio) V600 I was on the fence about trying it, the dimensions fit the 200mmx100mm slot that the BRZ has but it actually goes too deep in and required a lot of effort to get it to sit ok in the current MY17 trim.

The biggest flaw with the unit is the brightness in sunlight it becomes impossible to use when in direct sun with the highest brightness setting. Other than that the OS is smooth and mostly everything works but I can't seem to get calls to work. I do plan to get a different trim piece to fit the slot better. It has the better resolution 1024*600 but I doubt it makes a difference at this size. I can't honestly recommend, wish I would have gone a different route.

Hey! I just got the same unit as you, but mine has the android 'soft keys' along the left hand side (home, back, etc...) and I feel they are redundant, and just taking up space. Did yours come with those? If so, how were you able to hide them?

Thanks!
hestekinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:06 AM   #68
JstnBrdy

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-s Black
Solved: Just installed a Joying px5 Head unit in my 2015 FRS. I had the base touch screen stereo from the factory. A few years back I installed a Kenwood HU which worked great, zero install issues, but then I switched back to stock for a bit and now I have a joying Android 8.0 installed. It looks great and works smoothly, BUT THERES NO DAMN SOUND AT ALL. I’m 100% certain I have the speaker wires hooked up correctly, as well as I’ve fiddled with the Amp Turn on wire (brown wire in the 10-pin) but I just can’t get any sound at all, no door speakers and no dash or rear speakers. What am I doing wrong? Or did I get a bunk HU?
SKU: JY-UO139P4D

edit: Might be worth adding I’m using the metra 1987-up Toyota Harness(SKU: 70-1761) as recommended by the dingus at Visions Electronics, I double checked the wiring to the factory diagram as well as the Joying diagram and everything SHOULD be Hunky-Dory, but there’s no sound. I’ll double check the stereo output with a spare speaker I have laying around later.

here are some potatoe pics of the head unit and wiring.

Edit again: turns out im ruhtarded and you can't use this particular head unit with an external amp (don't ask it makes no sense to me either, prob something to do with the factory amp needing an analogue signal or something along those lines, don't really know) so i'm working with Joying to get a 9" unit that DOES NOT have the digital amp built in, currently they only offer that in 10.1" and 8" sizes, trying to see if a 9" option is available.

Final edit: joying is exchanging my Digitally amplified 9" unit for one that is not amplified. Leaving my blunder here for posterity and to hopefully be helpful for others.

Last edited by JstnBrdy; 05-16-2018 at 03:29 AM.
JstnBrdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JstnBrdy For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (06-06-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #69
Thetal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-guapin View Post
Did you gets this figured out?. My 2017 has the same harness(s) as yours. Do share!
Nope. Mine is sitting on the shelf just waiting
Old 08-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #70
brazenrain

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Has anyone been successful connecting the steering wheel controls on a 2017+ Toyota 86? I have an 860 Special Edition and Crutchfield recommends this expensive interface. I'm wondering if it's necessary.
brazenrain is offline   Reply With Quote