follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
neilr
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 49
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Yeah I wish they had kept that leveling knob. By no active adjustment I mean it doesn't turn the lights with the steering wheel or make any other compensations after taking its initial set.
Maybe I misunderstood what you originally said. Do your lights never change once you're moving?

Mine move vertically, but their responsiveness is awful. When I start up a hill, the lights are pointed too high up, into the eyes of oncoming traffic. If the hill is long enough, they will eventually point back toward the ground. If the road undulates, the lights are quick to point up and slow to point down, so I'm left blinding other drivers until I reach level ground.
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #16
gtengr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: -
Location: USA
Posts: 444
Thanks: 214
Thanked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
Maybe I misunderstood what you originally said. Do your lights never change once you're moving?

Mine move vertically, but their responsiveness is awful. When I start up a hill, the lights are pointed too high up, into the eyes of oncoming traffic. If the hill is long enough, they will eventually point back toward the ground. If the road undulates, the lights are quick to point up and slow to point down, so I'm left blinding other drivers until I reach level ground.
Interesting. I haven't noticed them adjusting like that. I could always tell on my M3.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #17
mjanmohammad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Location: Dallas
Posts: 517
Thanks: 89
Thanked 407 Times in 239 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
Link? That video is for aftermarket lights - is there something similar on the stock lights? If it stops raining, I'll actually poke around under my hood this weekend. :-)

What do you mean by no active adjustments? Apparently the pre-2017s had an adjustment knob in the cabin next to the interior light brightness knob. Bit of a shame they switched.
There is an 8mm knob on the back of both headlights that enables you to raise/lower the headlights.
__________________
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #18
neilr
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 49
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
There is an 8mm knob on the back of both headlights that enables you to raise/lower the headlights.
Have you seen this knob on a 2017, or are you referring to the video in this post? More to the point, does that knob have any effect on the auto leveling?
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #19
mjanmohammad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Location: Dallas
Posts: 517
Thanks: 89
Thanked 407 Times in 239 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
Have you seen this knob on a 2017, or are you referring to the video in this post?


Iíve used it to adjust the headlights on my 2017 BRZ after I lowered it and installed new RLCA
__________________
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #20
neilr
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 49
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Interesting. I haven't noticed them adjusting like that. I could always tell on my M3.
I'm not sure if my 2er leveled the lights while I was driving, but you could see the adjustment when starting the car. It did track horizontally when you turned the steering wheel, which was nice. :-)

Update: I've been paying more attention to the behavior of my lights and I was mistaken: they are not adjusting while I drive - I only thought they were. I'm chalking it up to road variations.

Last edited by neilr; 01-15-2018 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Update with later observations
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #21
neilr
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 49
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
Iíve used it to adjust the headlights on my 2017 BRZ after I lowered it and installed new RLCA
I'll check it out.
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #22
neilr
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 49
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Name:  BRZ Headlight Adjustment - Driver's Side.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  237.0 KB

The weather was cooperative, so I looked at the back of the headlight and there is an 8mm hex adjustment knob. Now I need to find a place to do the adjustment.

BTW, I stopped into my nearby Subaru service department and three different people assured me that my lights are aimed correctly. Unfortunately, that does nothing to mitigate the people flashing me at night.
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neilr For This Useful Post:
gtengr (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #23
mjanmohammad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Location: Dallas
Posts: 517
Thanks: 89
Thanked 407 Times in 239 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
Attachment 161975

The weather was cooperative, so I looked at the back of the headlight and there is an 8mm hex adjustment knob. Now I need to find a place to do the adjustment.

BTW, I stopped into my nearby Subaru service department and three different people assured me that my lights are aimed correctly. Unfortunately, that does nothing to mitigate the people flashing me at night.
I just did it in my garage/driveway. They're flat so I backed the car out and leveled the headlights against the back wall of the garage. Took 10 minutes.

If you don't have a flat garage, a parking lot near a wall will also work. 20 feet away, adjust your beams to be the same height as the headlight on the wall.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/how-to...am-headlights/
__________________
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #24
gtengr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: -
Location: USA
Posts: 444
Thanks: 214
Thanked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm just going to mark the adjuster nut with a sharpie and adjust downward in 1/4 turn increments (or 1/8's if needed) until I like it.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #25
tehShirt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 149
Thanks: 206
Thanked 135 Times in 67 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
For anyone considering rear control arms, the SPC version has the holes required to relocate the sensor.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #26
neilr
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 49
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I'm just going to mark the adjuster nut with a sharpie and adjust downward in 1/4 turn increments (or 1/8's if needed) until I like it.
I adjusted my driver's side light last night. With the wrench I was using, I could only turn the knob 90 degrees (at most) before reseating it. I'm pretty sure it took at least 2 full rotations of the knob to get the projection moved to an appropriate height.

I can report that no one flashed me on my drive home, so I'm calling it solved. Thanks to @mjanmohammad for pointing out the knob on the OEM lights.
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilr For This Useful Post:
gtengr (01-17-2018), mjanmohammad (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #27
gtengr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: -
Location: USA
Posts: 444
Thanks: 214
Thanked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the update. I haven't driven mine in several days so I have yet to adjust, but I will follow your rec.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #28
mjanmohammad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Location: Dallas
Posts: 517
Thanks: 89
Thanked 407 Times in 239 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
I adjusted my driver's side light last night. With the wrench I was using, I could only turn the knob 90 degrees (at most) before reseating it. I'm pretty sure it took at least 2 full rotations of the knob to get the projection moved to an appropriate height.

I can report that no one flashed me on my drive home, so I'm calling it solved. Thanks to @mjanmohammad for pointing out the knob on the OEM lights.
@gtengr a ratcheting 8mm wrench (not the socket) will make the task much faster.
__________________
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjanmohammad For This Useful Post:
gtengr (01-17-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone ACTUALLY driven their car without the headlight leveling sensor? Var Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 11 12-27-2017 11:39 PM
CAUTION: 2017 REAR CAMBER ARM PROBLEM with Performance Package 007BRZ Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 36 12-02-2017 04:26 PM
*FREE alignment* with Purchase and install of Front Camber / SPL Rear Camber Arms! Corner3garage Southern California 188 04-24-2015 01:10 PM
*FREE alignment* When you get Front Camber Bolts and Rear Camber Arms Installed! Corner3garage Mechanical Maintenance and Tools 6 10-31-2013 03:40 PM
Auto Headlight Sensor Conector Help!!! kmbkk Subaru BRZ General Forum 5 06-04-2013 09:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.