follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transition View Post
As requested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdwuxreno7...unFile_012.drf

(all dyno runs were done in 5th gear)
Thanks man. But that's just the one final Ecutek run. I was hoping for all the runs in the tuning session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Speed Density, custom maps for things like boost control, real flex fuel, AFR failsafes, overboost fuel cuts, boost by gear, better traction control. The list is endless, but pretty much boils down to 'custom maps'.

The real big thing though is speed density, which gets you around the MAF limitation, and the ability to use custom maps to overcome the port injection limitations at high power levels (typically on e85).

Also, just in my personal opinion i wouldn't be comfortable tuning a turbo car without an overboost fuel cut. Mine has already saved my motor a couple times, and i know a couple guys who didn't have it and it cost them a new engine. Not worth not having, imho.

Now with a supercharger the math is entirely different. The vortech kit works great. The JRSC kit, not so much (the MAF is maxed out of the box). The kraftwerks kit seems like it would be fine, but the bigger blower also maxes the MAF in the default configuration, necessitating SD.
The OFT OTS map for the SBD turbo does have overboost protection. Just ask @Neal@EQtuning
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #30
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Thanks man. But that's just the one final Ecutek run. I was hoping for all the runs in the tuning session.

The OFT OTS map for the SBD turbo does have overboost protection. Just ask @Neal@EQtuning
I was unaware. That's great news! Is it a custom routine of some sort? Available to the rest of us?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #31
transition
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

Sorry about that - here's the whole deal:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ikfccz30p...I8LO-jzwQrn8qa
The Following User Says Thank You to transition For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #32
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Haha, saved my damn motor too!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning View Post
Haha, saved my damn motor too!
how was overboost cut feature achieved ?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #34
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Shiv would be the one to ask for specifics obviously, but from my understanding, it's a load based ignition cut using the maf. I actually have a log of it if you want to see.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #35
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning View Post
Shiv would be the one to ask for specifics obviously, but from my understanding, it's a load based ignition cut using the maf. I actually have a log of it if you want to see.
yes be interesting to see

thought it would have needed a custom routine/patch in rom, to enable ignition cut
Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #36
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Sorry about that - here's the whole deal:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ikfccz30p...I8LO-jzwQrn8qa
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I do have a few questions and concerns about your comparison though.

1) According to the run files, it looks like you guys did 2 back-to-back runs on the OFT tune (within the same minute). And in the comparison, you plotted the lower powered run. Is there a reason for this?

2) According to the run files, the Ecutek tune you plotted was the highest hp run of all the other Ecutek tunes. And it looks like it was done a good 20 minutes from from any of the other runs. So presumably, the engine was cooler and the air quality in the dyno cell better.

Also, I'm not sure why the run numbers are inverted. Run 1 was the last one done according to the dynojet time stamps. And run 12 was the first.

Lastly, when baseline in the OFT, you did two back to back 5th gear runs. But when tuning the Ecutek, you alternated between 4th and 5th gear runs. I'm guessing to keep the engine cooler than if doing back to back 5th gear runs.

These are just some observations based upon the actual dynorun run data you were nice enough to post. Sometimes more info is better than less info.

Regards,
Shiv
Old 07-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #37
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
By common sense

Just logged load (g/rev) during a normal pull. And incorporated an ignition timing cut at load levels greater than that. Makes it pretty obvious when you have a wg failure. Exhaust note goes "POP". Engine doesn't.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #38
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
By common sense

Just logged load (g/rev) during a normal pull. And incorporated an ignition timing cut at load levels greater than that. Makes it pretty obvious when you have a wg failure. Exhaust note goes "POP". Engine doesn't.
That's a hack at best, and not a real overboost fuel cut. What happens when the customer stays wide open into it? Couldn't that cause EGTs to skyrocket? Granted we like to think people would be smart enough to get off of it... but in reality they aren't always.

I've tried this same solution in the past on BRZEdit and ditched the idea on the basis that using calculated load to infer boost was as bad idea in general. That what the map sensor is for .
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #39
transition
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I do have a few questions though.

1) According to the run files, it looks like you guys did 2 back-to-back runs on the OFT tune (within the same minute). And in the comparison, you plotted the lower powered run. Is there a reason for this?

2) According to the run files, the Ecutek tune you plotted was the highest hp run of all the other Ecutek tunes. And it looks like it was done a good 20 minutes from from any of the other runs. So presumably, the engine was cooler and the air quality in the dyno cell better.

Also, I'm not sure why the run numbers are inverted. Run 1 was the last one done according to the dynojet time stamps. And run 12 was the first.

Lastly, when baseline in the OFT, you did two back to back 5th gear runs. But when tuning the Ecutek, you alternated between 4th and 5th gear runs. I'm guessing to keep the engine cooler than if doing back to back 5th gear runs.

These are just some observations based upon the actual dynorun run data you were nice enough to post. Sometimes more info is better than less info.

Regards,
Shiv
1) I believe they just went ahead and selected the first run with the OFT without comparing both pulls.

2) I believe the data you need to validate this is in the files? The first pull was done on OFT and didn't come from an overly 'hot' car. My car was sitting in the parking lot all day, it was brought up to temp then ran.

Obviously i would have never posted the files if there was any intent to manipulate. We're open about the results and the work speaks for itself. Interpret the results as you may. Here's another one we did that got similar results a few months back.

The reason ECUTeK was done on my car was the intent to go forced induction. Perhaps i should have just titled the post "Off the shelf tune vs pro tune". The intent here is not in any way to say that OFT's product is somehow inferior. You're producing a great product with very distinct differences than something like the ECUTeK. I'm sure we could have achieved very similar results with a pro tune and the OFT which i'd highly recommend for an N/A car.
The Following User Says Thank You to transition For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #40
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
And the Shiv battle begins...
The Following User Says Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
husker741 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #41
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
That's a hack at best, and not a real overboost fuel cut. What happens when the customer stays wide open into it? Couldn't that cause EGTs to skyrocket? Granted we like to think people would be smart enough to get off of it... but in reality they aren't always.

I've tried this same solution in the past on BRZEdit and ditched the idea on the basis that using calculated load to infer boost was as bad idea in general. That what the map sensor is for .
Customer can't stay wide open in it because the engine falls flat and misfires. Neal@EQ can comment on that.

To the engine, all it sees is load (airflow/rev). It doesn't actually see about MAP. MAP is an load estimate. It's just an indication of the air pressure in the manifold. VVT (among other things) effect the correlation between MAP and actual engine load. So to me, engine load cuts (as opposed to MAP cuts) is the better approach.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #42
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
1) I believe they just went ahead and selected the first run with the OFT without comparing both pulls.

2) I believe the data you need to validate this is in the files? The first pull was done on OFT and didn't come from an overly 'hot' car. My car was sitting in the parking lot all day, it was brought up to temp then ran.

Obviously i would have never posted the files if there was any intent to manipulate. We're open about the results and the work speaks for itself. Interpret the results as you may. Here's another one we did that got similar results a few months back.

The reason ECUTeK was done on my car was the intent to go forced induction. Perhaps i should have just titled the post "Off the shelf tune vs pro tune". The intent here is not in any way to say that OFT's product is somehow inferior. You're producing a great product with very distinct differences than something like the ECUTeK. I'm sure we could have achieved very similar results with a pro tune and the OFT which i'd highly recommend for an N/A car.
That's fine. I'm just pointing out that you chart compares the lower of 2 pulls on the OFT tune to the highest of 10 pulls on the Ecutek. By no means am I saying this was intentional. But I think it's important info to mention because a somewhat different picture is presented when comparing apples to apples. If you give me permission (this is your thread afterall) I can post up another dyno comparison that holds more testing variables constant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (07-16-2014)

Closed Thread