follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #71
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It wasn't a couple of seconds at idle; but I did get it up to a few grand (4-5000) when I hit the gas to try to get it started. I also tried to get it jump stated and cranked it over several times after the initial failure. I realize I exasperated it trying to get it started; I was exhausted. I had been going non stop for the last few weeks with 9+ hour days. I just wanted to get home after running errands on the first day I got off work at a reasonable time.
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #72
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
Did you read the original post? Is this is a serious question? Obviously something mechanical broke and caused valve/piston contact, and then it's all she wrote.

Yes..I read it..I'm asking in shock... during the process of jumping the car and trying to start it, the motor self destructed. That's what I read from the original post. Every thing else posted as to why is pure speculation. Unless the motor was abused, and the Op states it was not, things like this should not happen.

Last edited by BRZnut; 04-13-2014 at 03:35 PM.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #73
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Yes..I read it..I'm asking in shock... during the process of jumping the car and trying to start it, the motor self destructed. That's what I read from the original post. Every thing else posted as to why is pure speculation. Unless the motor was abused, and the Op states it was not, things like this should not happen.
Of course it shouldn't happen, but it's not like jump starting the car caused it to happen, that's ridiculous. Then you made a comment about the engine being weak, which doesn't make any sense. Any engine having valve/piston contact is likely to do a lot of damage.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
cmspooner (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #74
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspooner View Post
It I just wanted to get home after running errands on the first day I got off work at a reasonable time.
Is there any chance that someone else drove your car while you were at work?

Also, is the dealer trying to rebuild that engine or replace the longblock?
After seeing the destruction, there is no way they can get all of the debris out of every oil passage on that engine.
Even a supremely determined person building that core up themselves would have a hard time clearing every single passage.
A dealer that cares less about your engine than whether to have cream cheese with their bagel that morning would have zero chance of getting it all clean.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #75
cmspooner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Is there any chance that someone else drove your car while you were at work?

Also, is the dealer trying to rebuild that engine or replace the longblock?
After seeing the destruction, there is no way they can get all of the debris out of every oil passage on that engine.
Even a supremely determined person building that core up themselves would have a hard time clearing every single passage.
A dealer that cares less about your engine than whether to have cream cheese with their bagel that morning would have zero chance of getting it all clean.
There is no chance someone else drove it. I can see my car right outside my classroom.

The dealership is building a new engine since the only fully assembled engine available was in Japan; of course they now regret that decision since parts were back-ordered.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #76
hakkoo

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
There is no chance someone else drove it. I can see my car right outside my classroom.

The dealership is building a new engine since the only fully assembled engine available was in Japan; of course they now regret that decision since parts were back-ordered.
Hope they know what they are doing. sounds they the engineers were bored lol "Hmm not much to do, lets order the engine in parts so we can build one!"
hakkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #77
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:

SO it sounds like they are going to use the old case & heads?
That is where I would be concerned that they need to pay special attention to getting all of the debris out.
And I wouldnt let them reuse the case after taking that kind of pounding...
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #78
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
So being that there looks to be damage to the bores and I'm pretty sure you can not overbore these engines I'm guessing they ordered you a new block? There's no way they can reuse that one head, everything on that one side is toast.

The Frozen North
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
cmspooner (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #79
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

I'd insist on a factory-assembled long-block, not a dealership-built longblock. You want something Subaru assembled, not Subaru parts that the dealership assembled. It's not like a warranty on a cellphone where you get a certified used replacement. You're supposed to get a brand new part as a replacement.

If that means waiting, then so be it. The dealership should at least be giving you a loaner vehicle gratis while the car is being fixed under warranty, so you're covered for transportation.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
cmspooner (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #80
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Just had a thought. How often did you hit 4-5000rpm on startup?

The Frozen North
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #81
cmspooner

Garage
They ordered all of the parts; and are building it with all new parts. I am going to live with the dealership assembled engine and assume it will have a full warranty on it.

I have had an outback on loan for the last 3 weeks; it's alright. Bad gas mileage and not nearly as fun; but it does the job.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #82
cmspooner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
Just had a thought. How often did you hit 4-5000rpm on startup?

The Frozen North
Never. I usually let clutch out just under 2000 and I keep it under 4000 until it's at temperature. I have tapped red line going up though the gears once or twice in 1st and 2nd; but never down. I once (last summer) shifted from second into second when merging into heavy traffic at speed. That was over 10,000 miles ago though.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #83
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
When do they think they'll have all the parts and get it back to you??
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #84
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I apparently put the number 4 piston through the side of the block. They say they engine was over-reved (which it wasn't); but they are covering it...so I'm not arguing.

How can you "over-rev" an engine with an electronic rev-limiter?

You should be able to ounce it off the rev limiter all day long and not do any damage.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote