follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Z.Tune

Drives: E46 M3/Z34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I trade in my 370z? (final decision, photos enclose)

So the dealer said my pre order FRS is coming in soon.

Until I look at it and test drive it, it is really hard for me to make my mind.

But I have been thinking this 24-7, drives me crazy!

I want to listen to what everyone might say about my situation.

THANK YOU!!!

FYI:
I used to drive a E46 m3, heavily mod with tons of hp and cut weight to near 2900 pounds.
I love going on track and I also love drifting.
Sold the car when moving to another city. Then I got my 370z, at the beginning I felt really different from the E49, it gets better now.

The handling isn't bad but the Z is so heavy and I do not like that heavy feel when I am sliding through the corner.
The other issue for the Z is it only has 2 seats.
I understand this is kind of stupid, but I can only hold 1 car now just because I seriously have no where to park the second car.
Good thing about the Z is the power, handling and the name "Z".

The FRS seemed perfect to me for now except the power----200 bhp/151 lb-ft.
The weight is awesome: 2750.
I guess the handling should be good.
Because I haven't test drive it so I do not have much to say about it now.

So is the Z or FRS.

Forgive my poor English, and my stupid question.

Edit:I drove lots of cars before, including low power cars like Mx5, S2K and many more. And I like the feeling of them too.
The 370Z is already payed off.

I will mod the car, no matter the Z or the FRS. But I do not want to mod a car then going to sell it, because it hurts, both financial and emotional, just like my ex-wife E46 M3....

FINAL DECISION:

After test drive the FRS, here's what I felt:

Pros:
1.The handling of the FRS is super! Seriously feel like a smaller BMW, or a S2K with a softer spring. I dun feel its like the Miata, Miata is very soft. It turns so easy, so effortless, and that feel is just magic. VERY GOOD JOB.
2. The clutch and shifting feel is smooth and sweet, steering is mind connecting. I will say my mom can drive it fast. Compare to the 370Z's steel hard clutch and shifting feel, the FRS is like dancing on the water, if u know what i mean.
3. This seat melts my butt! Omg! feels so dang good, the driving position is so so sweet. Good eye sight, nice placement of the handbreak, and its a short shifter. But I felt the stick a little too long, I will love it if its shorter.
4. I love the light weight! But it felt heavier than what it should weight. I think because of the suspension and wheel set up.

Drive this thing through the twisting road just so much fun, I can do it all day long. But I wish I can pull the handbreak, or push the engine harder, but its a new car, can't do that. But still, what a muther fukin awesome handling car!!

Cons:
1. Lack of power, especially I mean the torque. 200hp should be enough for me, this thing can go so fast in fact. But the torque, it just dun pick up. I mean, no matter I was on a straight pull, or exiting corners, going up and down, I can feel the lag. Not something like a turbo lag, but it kills the feeling somehow, because all that handling is so good, but suddenly I just can't get things going because of the power, no, I mean the torque! If this thing has a little bit more power, it will immediately become a killer, I mean it!

In fact, this seemed the only down side of this car for me. I dun care about what ppl say about the cheap interior, how small is the back seat, or whatever. All I care about is the performance. The interior doesn't look cheap to me, that fake carbon fiber doesn't annoy me at all. And I have to say, the interior is very good, in this price.

Summary:
A very very very good sports car! In this price, it beats any new car now, IMO. This handling is so dang good, and there is still a lot space to improve. Look at that engine bay, it can fit my husky in there. But sadly, I might say the S2K is still better, but so so close. As a daily driver, the FRS wins.

Get back the compare to the 370z. The FRS's seat, clutch and shifter kicks the 370z's butt. I mean if anyone ever get a chance, go try a 370z then a FRS. U might break the FRS's clutch and shifter by used to the 370z's, because it just so soft and smooth. U can't adjust the length for the steering wheel's neck in a 370, only up and down. But other than that, nothing beats the 370. Yes, the FRS does handles great, but not yet to compare to the 370. IMO, the FRS is more friendly to most of the drivers, but if u know what u r doing, the 370z surely handles as good as the FRS, and even better. In other words, its easier to drive a FRS than a 370z.

I can imagine, if the FRS has the same power as the 370, I think ppl will begin to complaint about the car is hard to control, lol.

Long words short, so far, the FRS needs to be better to beat the 370, IMO. I KEEP MY Z, period.

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT SHARE THEIR OPINIONS WITH ME, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

Here r some pics:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

Last edited by Z.Tune; 06-19-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: add info
Z.Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
You will have to decide after you test drive. But if you really want/like power, you will probably be disappointed. I felt it was enough for the road but if you're used to powerful, 6 cylinder, rear wheel drive cars, you may feel otherwise.
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
I drove both 350z and FR-s, a little bit. In my view, when you kick the gas in the FR-S for the first time, you will miss the power, or torque. After driving both for a while, I think they are what they are. I mean 350 feels more solid and powerful. FR-S feels more agile. So it's really your own decision. Sorry for not helping :p
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motofan For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Keep the Z. The only real advantage I'd give to the FR-S/ BRZ is that it's about 10k cheaper than a Z, which makes a world of difference to someone shopping for a new car. But as you've already got one, there's no compelling reason for you to take a bath on selling/ trading your Z to get one of these cars.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Prava
Insegrevious Member

Drives: Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
or you could sell the Z and whatever profit you have left over after purchasing the FR-S you could use to mod it? just a thought...

"Character is who you are when nobody is looking."
Club4AG | Micro Image | Solar Shade | FRS86

Prava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prava For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If I already had 370z before I bought FR-S, then I would just keep the Z.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
If I already had 370z before I bought FR-S, then I would just keep the Z.
+1 if you already have the car then stick with it.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Longhorn248 For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
abitolder

Drives: 2013 FRS Argento MT
The less powerful car will be more fun as you will be revving the engine, working the transmission, and be more involved with the car. Think of driving in Europe where most cars are under 2 litres, but revving them all the time and shifting gears will bring a smile to your face. I just sold a newer Corvette with the manual trans, lots of power but you can seldom use it, rev it up in 1st or 2nd and you are in the speeding ticket category. The FRS should be cheaper to maintain also. Just my 2 cents
abitolder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abitolder For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
UncleFester

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
If I was you, I'd stay with the Z and hope a STI BRZ comes out in a couple years then switch.
UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleFester For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If you long for a lightweight car that can put a smile on your face - YES.
If you are financially sensible, then I'd wait till you pay off the Nissan - No.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
+1 to what everyone else said - doesn't really make much sense to sell the Z now for one of the twins, unless you absolutely need the extra space. I'd suggest pay it off first/wait until a higher powered version of the twins come out.

Also, what's an E49 M3?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaiakai For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
You should definitely drive both back-to-back and make your decision. A couple months ago, I test drove a 2010 370Z Sport 6MT and was very disappointed - I had wanted one since I saw the magazine ads in 2008 - the engine was incredibly coarse, the gearbox felt clunky, and the car overall felt too big and heavy. It didn't even feel that quick! The modern Z is no longer anything like it's 2300lb 240Z ancestor, and this made me rather sad. Just look at the two next to each other - it's like David and Goliath:

Then last week I drove an FR-S. The FR-S on the other hand was much more enjoyable to drive, in my opinion. Less interior refinement than the Z, and I can't really comment on the acceleration because it was an auto and I drove it on an auto-x course (shifted to second but should've stayed in first), but the balance and sheer enjoyment of tossing it through the corners and slaloms made me want to buy one immediately! It reminded me of my Datsun 240Z only a little heavier but more balanced. Since my 240Z has been sitting in my garage for the past few years with no sign of being completed soon, I decided that the FR-S or BRZ would be a worthy successor for the old girl.

Again, drive them back to back and make up your mind then! But I'm just sayin:

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-14-2012), Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
...The modern Z is no longer anything like it's 2300lb 240Z ancestor, and this made me rather sad. Just look at the two next to each other - it's like David and Goliath:

....It reminded me of my Datsun 240Z only a little heavier and more balanced. Since my 240Z has been sitting in my garage for the past few years with no sign of being completed soon, I decided that the FR-S or BRZ would be a worthy successor for the old girl.
This was my exact thoughts. Frankly I think the 86 looks way more like a descendent of the 240Z design language than the 300 series. Somewhere along the path they went way out in the weeds with that one.
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
I'm in a similar situation with my JDM supra but I've finished that project and it's past time for the next one. I have over 2.5 the power to weight and like 4x the torque so it's fair to say I'll be feeling it.

The past couple of years I've been close to starting on a worked M3, 2jz lexus IS and 3s-gte AE86 but on all 3 I've held off, watching this car.

I can't wait for a FA22T or whatever. I'm taking the plunge. I may end up selling it for a series 2 if there's an updated drivetrain, but with the demand on this car in Australia I'll at least break even on a resale over the next few years.
nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nix For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)