follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #71
Mengsta

Drives: Scion tC, Gen Coupe,
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mengsta
Wow nice videos =] Cant wait to see more
Mengsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #72
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
I commute 25 miles on Florida's Turnpike everyday, with 70 mph limit and people averaging about 80 and not once have I needed to downshift to pass anyone, just a press on the throttle and I'm well on my way. I don't understand how is it that you find it hard to pass people at around 80 mph, more-so when you downshifted.
I'm glad it doesn't bother you. I've put around 2,500 highway miles on my car already and I still stand by my statement. In 6th gear at 80 mph you're right past 3,500 rpm and are entering the torque dip zone. You don't get out of that dip until you're almost at 100 mph. Downshifting to 5th doesn't get you out of the dead zone at 80, and going down to 4th is required to get the engine cooking in it's sweet spot.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #73
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
I'm glad it doesn't bother you. I've put around 2,500 highway miles on my car already and I still stand by my statement. In 6th gear at 80 mph you're right past 3,500 rpm and are entering the torque dip zone. You don't get out of that dip until you're almost at 100 mph. Downshifting to 5th doesn't get you out of the dead zone at 80, and going down to 4th is required to get the engine cooking in it's sweet spot.
I agree with you, but my statement was not about the torque dip zone. It was about there is no need to downshift to pass in 6th @80 mph. So, if you can pass cars even in the torque dip area, does it really matter?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #74
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
I agree with you, but my statement was not about the torque dip zone. It was about there is no need to downshift to pass in 6th @80 mph. So, if you can pass cars even in the torque dip area, does it really matter?
Well being in the torque dip zone means the car has no passing power. I can stand on the gas at 80 mph in 6th and it probably takes 10 seconds to go from 80 to 90.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #75
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Well being in the torque dip zone means the car has no passing power. I can stand on the gas at 80 mph in 6th and it probably takes 10 seconds to go from 80 to 90.
Again, you reply with something that is non related to what I am saying. I am not talking about the performance of the car. I'm purely talking a bout the ability to pass cars in the highway.

It doesn't matter if it takes 10 seconds to go from 80 to 90 or if you're in the torque dip. My single and only point is: I do this every day (passing cars @80 mph) and not one time have I had to downshift to do so. I press the gas and pass them in a fair amount of time, lets say between 2-5 seconds.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #76
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Again, you reply with something that is non related to what I am saying. I am not talking about the performance of the car. I'm purely talking a bout the ability to pass cars in the highway.

It doesn't matter if it takes 10 seconds to go from 80 to 90 or if you're in the torque dip. My single and only point is: I do this every day (passing cars @80 mph) and not one time have I had to downshift to do so. I press the gas and pass them in a fair amount of time, lets say between 2-5 seconds.
Lol then I guess you don't equate passing with acceleration. If the car isn't accelerating, then I'm not passing anyone. When I floor the car it takes me 10 seconds to gain enough speed to pass a car. That's what I'm talking about.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #77
Subaruwrxfan

Here's a new video detailing why I don't love the BRZ yet.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_8TAf6yEMg"]Why I Don't Love My Subaru BRZ...Yet. - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #78
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
I'll leave it as is... I personally have never had to downshift to pass anyone in this car @70 or 80 mph. Simple as that.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #79
r1eater

Drives: 370Z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, just kinda hard to be constantly redlining the car, and was a bit of a nuisance trying to pass people on the highway today, stuff like that. I've decided I'm definitely supercharging this thing as soon as a decent kit comes out.

That sucks but I know how you feel. I'm waiting on the STI version to see what that has, I'm hoping atleast 240-250hp.

Also I agree with you on yoru comments on the video. I'm also looking at going with the new mustang or maybe even back to an WRX STI which I had before.

Last edited by r1eater; 07-07-2012 at 01:01 AM.
r1eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #80
Stu baru
Official Cobb beer knurd

Drives: 2013 BRZ-L MT SWP
Forums are funny, especially car forums. People always end up trying to convince other people of things as if there is always an absolute right answer to issues that are, at their core, owner perception. I expect to really enjoy my BRZ because I'm getting it for the handling and not the power. I also expect to want more power, and so I may modify it, but more likely I'll look forward to a turbo version and do that when available. Good luck to all, life is about finding happiness in all things.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #81
Zoomie

Drives: VW R32
Having been down this road with a number of cars, don't throw money at this car hoping to make it something it is not. You'll just be out the money and wish you had changed direction in a more timely cost effective time frame. By the time the second or third payment you'll be in full resentment mode. Ouit while you are behind.
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #82
r1eater

Drives: 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu baru View Post
Good luck to all, life is about finding happiness in all things.
So true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Having been down this road with a number of cars, don't throw money at this car hoping to make it something it is not. You'll just be out the money and wish you had changed direction in a more timely cost effective time frame. By the time the second or third payment you'll be in full resentment mode. Ouit while you are behind.
Also very true, I recently traded my 370Z after only having it for about 4 months. I added the exhaust, added the chip, added the intakes but it just wasnt the same as my '08 STI I traded in to get the Z. I traded the Z for a Juke temporarily in hopes the BRZ STI version comes out next year or hopefully the new WRX STI redesign will be announced. A friend of mine got one of the new mustangs and boy is it intoxicating... in stock form too!
r1eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #83
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1eater View Post
Also very true, I recently traded my 370Z after only having it for about 4 months. I added the exhaust, added the chip, added the intakes but it just wasnt the same as my '08 STI I traded in to get the Z. I traded the Z for a Juke temporarily in hopes the BRZ STI version comes out next year or hopefully the new WRX STI redesign will be announced. A friend of mine got one of the new mustangs and boy is it intoxicating... in stock form too!
Lol now you guys have me worried. I've been hearing that a car gets some personality after I modify it to my liking. When I bought my Legacy GT 5 years ago though, I don't remember feeling this "meh" about the car after a month of owning it. I did modify the car that helped me like it more for sure, but even in stock form I didn't really get bored with it. Being indecisive sucks.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #84
Nospleen

Drives: Honda Element
I would cut your losses now while the cars are still in high demand. If they ever make an STI version, it should be right up your alley. I think you have given it a fair shot and have been very objective in your reasoning. I'd hate to see you feel the same after dropping 4k on some bolt ons and a SC...

Thanks again for this thread and all of your videos. Best thread on this forum, in my opinion.
Nospleen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nospleen For This Useful Post:
Subaruwrxfan (07-07-2012)