follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
fast_dude

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Op, Do you have a catch can installed???
2014 Scion FRS- Kw2 suspension, Openflash headers, Openflash tablet, Invidia N1 exhaust, Invidia Overpipe, Nameless catted front pipe, TRD intake, Enkei RPF1s with Hankook RS3 tires, carbon fibre front lip, TRD knockoff spolier, SPC lower control arms.
fast_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #16
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_dude View Post
Op, Do you have a catch can installed???
Yes I do. Cusco AOS type, plumbed into the rear line on the battery side
Old 07-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

UPDATE

The tech informed me today that the cam sensor is out of spec and repair parts are on order.

Why do I feel like this may be a thing but not the cause if my misfire? Maybe I have no faith in the FA20 anymore after my experiences.

What say you fellow owners?
Old 07-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
BRZChix

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post

Only P0300 and P0304 are throwing. Tomorrow I am going to stick it on ECUtek because I am concerned about the dealership's competence.
Stop questioning dealership's competence... I always assume they are incompetent

Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
UPDATE

The tech informed me today that the cam sensor is out of spec and repair parts are on order.

Why do I feel like this may be a thing but not the cause if my misfire? Maybe I have no faith in the FA20 anymore after my experiences.

What say you fellow owners?
FA20 is not an engine to have faith in. You gotta have a back-up plan, especially when you are FI.

Hope you get the issue resolved.
BRZChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #19
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZChix View Post
Stop questioning dealership's competence... I always assume they are incompetent

FA20 is not an engine to have faith in. You gotta have a back-up plan, especially when you are FI.

Hope you get the issue resolved.
Well I have a backup plan. It's toss this engine in the garbage. However I need to know what's not working before I make any decisions. Over a week and still no results other than report of a cam position sensor being out of spec. They finally got the parts in but now I have had 4 days of radio silence.

I'm supposed to be getting an update today. If this doesn't resolve the issue, there is a huge problem with their troubleshooting. I know how an engine works. Albeit more complex than some.. this is still a small gasoline engine and only so many things can cause this problem.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:15 AM   #20
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

UPDATE: and this is going to be a disheartening one. No amount of troubleshooting revealed a cause for a misfire so I very adamantly had them perform a check up on the cam position sensors. I got a call pretty quick saying it was oit of spec and a TSB repair would be done.

After the repair was completed and the ecu was reset the car struggled to start and seemed to almost have a hard time learning to idle again. I don't know if this may be somewhat because of my light flywheel and tune. It felt rough still though and initially I could feel a misfire.

After some warming up and a short drive it felt much better. There hasn't been a misfire or DTC since. I am yet to drive the car much but it admirably handled a 20 minute sub-4500rpm test drive.

Why is this disheartening? Well for one if you saw how long it took to re learn idling and how weird the initial low rpm AFR's were you'd be nervous too.

The conditions of the cam sensor apparently going out of spec were also just too weird. The car had been running perfect.. I was cruising along in 4th gear low rpm and instantly the car bogged down, began to fully misfire on 4 and then the condition in a matter of a few minutes deteriorated until it wouldn't even attempt to idle.

I will be doing a lot of cautious testing and some logging this week. I plan to make a new thread with all information presented a little better and in good order.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #21
RavioliG
Poor Adult Male

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Any update on this?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #22
Ndrew

Drives: Scion FR-S Kraftwerks
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliG View Post
Any update on this?

Well i got the P0304 dtc too, Kraftwerks supercharge, i was on track when a big loss of power just appeared, and two laps after my cel was flashing.

Any updates ?
Ndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #23
ShiftingLanes

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here for the updates as well.

Just happened to me. Coming home from the gym. All of the sudden I heard like a loud clicking sound from the left side of the car (sounded like i ran over a lot of branches). Then the car went into limp mode at which point it died when I got to a stop sign. Got the car towed home. Plugged my reader in and it read P0300

Going to troubleshoot for the next couple of days.
ShiftingLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #24
Ndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
Here for the updates as well.

Just happened to me. Coming home from the gym. All of the sudden I heard like a loud clicking sound from the left side of the car (sounded like i ran over a lot of branches). Then the car went into limp mode at which point it died when I got to a stop sign. Got the car towed home. Plugged my reader in and it read P0300

Going to troubleshoot for the next couple of days.

Advice us about the diagnostic !

Same issue here, did work on the car during the winter but the issue came back

Last edited by Ndrew; 04-12-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #25
ShiftingLanes

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrew View Post
Advice us about the diagnostic !

Same issue here, did work on the car during the winter but the issue came back
Dealer called me a couple of days ago and said that it was the coilpack for cylinder 1 that needed replacing.

I haven't heard back from them yet (been two days) and I have an inkling that they may have run into other problems. I'll update this once I hear back
ShiftingLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #26
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I had a p351 code several months back and changed out coil 1 myself and the code went away. In addition, I've replaced the spark plugs sometime after the code was resolved. However, a few weeks ago I got a p301 code, so I swapped the newer coil 1 with cyl 3 coil. Its been about 2 weeks and the code has not come back ... yet. When the issue first started I had the stock header on. I have switched back to my UEL uncatted header since I was doing a few other things, including the coil swap.

Is it safe to assume that resolved the issue or could it be this same camsensor issue or even DI seals? The car is NA, full exhaust with ecutek tune. I don't hear popping, but that doesn't always mean there isnt a DI issue. RPMs do drop a bit when in stopped in neutral, revved to 2-2.5k. Almost like its about to stall out at times. I know, more data is needed. I really need to datalog but just havent gotten around to it.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #27
Ndrew

I went to see my tuner for datalogs and all was ok... AFR was good, the variable was good, timing was good. I removed my direct injector, all was fine. I'm afraid if it could be ecu itself...

I suspect a cam sensor now maybe so I'll try to take the resistance on each sensor..