follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
joergasm

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Footwell Mood Light Help

I have no electrical experience or background. Just bought these blue footwell mood lights from zeta performance.
Is there a way to set it up so the light turns on when door opens and stays on when car turns on. (Whether you out a switch or not)

I need help!

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1368209523906.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  65.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1368209537126.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  57.4 KB

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Just wire them so they are getting power from both the dash lights when turned on and the door switches
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You can look in the DIY forum. There's a whole thread on it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...twell+lighting

The Search function is your friend.
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
ZetaPerformance

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
For the footwell light, you can also tap into the radio harness or the hazard/clock harness, so they will turn on along with the rest of the interior light, and could adjust the brightness with the illumination switch.

The little blue box (battery pack) and the blue button switch from the package is just for demonstration purpose, as you would remove those prior to the installation.
ZetaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i tapped into the traction control/sport mode light switch so it goes on only with the interior lights...its in the tread mentioned above
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
i tapped into the traction control/sport mode light switch so it goes on only with the interior lights...its in the tread mentioned above
Could you go into further detail i have been looking for a DIY for tapping into the interior lights. I think a good step by step would suffice. It would be much appreciated.
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Cameronghanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_Sovereign View Post
Could you go into further detail i have been looking for a DIY for tapping into the interior lights. I think a good step by step would suffice. It would be much appreciated.
I can try!

1. Place lights where they can't be seen (obv) and make sure the wires on the drivers side and the passenger side are facing each other (facing the center) --||-- (sorry I know that's crude but that's basically it, if you need pics I can grab some)
2. Pull off the bezel surrounding the shift knob and unplug the bundle of cables attached to the traction control sport mode module. Strip the black tape off the wires and I believe the small purple wire is the lighting one but you can use a volt meter to test that.
3. There is a screw that holds down the shift unit to the body of the car. This is a good ground. Attach your ground wire to this.
4. Splice in your led lights to the purple wire and wrap it up.
5. Tuck the light wire underneath the side of the main center area with the shifter and all that and the wire should be all hidden.
6. Put the bezel back on and you should be good to go!

Sorry this was all done at work on my phone lol it may be a little simplistic. If you need further details or pics I can probably grab you some. The final product is in that forum above
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
joergasm

Quote:
I can try!

1. Place lights where they can't be seen (obv) and make sure the wires on the drivers side and the passenger side are facing each other (facing the center) --||-- (sorry I know that's crude but that's basically it, if you need pics I can grab some)
2. Pull off the bezel surrounding the shift knob and unplug the bundle of cables attached to the traction control sport mode module. Strip the black tape off the wires and I believe the small purple wire is the lighting one but you can use a volt meter to test that.
3. There is a screw that holds down the shift unit to the body of the car. This is a good ground. Attach your ground wire to this.
5. Tuck the light wire underneath the side of the main center area with the shifter and all that and the wire should be all hidden.

Sorry this was all done at work on my phone lol it may be a little simplistic. If you need further details or pics I can probably grab you some. The final product is in that forum above
Is there a way to make a switch in that empty middle area that could switch the footwells from power from accessory to power from dome light?

You just gave me an idea. I have mt br so there is no snow mode button in the middle. Was thinking that I can maybe grab a parted frs/brs snow mode button and make that the switch.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Cameronghanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joergasm View Post
Is there a way to make a switch in that empty middle area that could switch the footwells from power from accessory to power from dome light?

You just gave me an idea. I have mt br so there is no snow mode button in the middle. Was thinking that I can maybe grab a parted frs/brs snow mode button and make that the switch.

yeah probably, it would basically just close the circuit. You would have to drill into that plastic with a dermal tool or something but its very doable IMO given how open that area by the shifter is
Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
joergasm

Quote:
yeah probably, it would basically just close the circuit. You would have to drill into that plastic with a dermal tool or something but its very doable IMO given how open that area by the shifter is
You seem to have some electrical skills/knowledge. I have a manual brz so I do not have that snow/sport mode button in that space. I was thinking of purchasing this and seeing if I could use that as my switch.

Looking at the switch and how it is connected do you think it's possible? or do you think it might be crazy excessive work?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
AR35

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dont think it will be that hard. You just have to split the wires and connect the snow/sport wires to the light then connect that to a power source. So it will go light-wire-snow/sport-wire-power source. So when you flip the snow/sport it will turn it on or off, by cutting the power or letting the power connect.

Correct me if im wrong but i think thats right.
AR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
tbwoodlee
I Void Warranties

Drives: Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I have replaced those buttons and it seems like it would be somewhat difficult, the trac off button and the vsc sport button and the blank are all connected together.

I used a dremel tool and installed a switch on the inside of the console tray. It is covered by my armrest too. Looks pretty nice, I will take a picture of it this afternoon.
tbwoodlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbwoodlee For This Useful Post:
joergasm (05-15-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I can try!

Actually i think this is a great step by step, looks very simple This is what i will be doing this weekend.
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_Sovereign For This Useful Post:
Cameronghanson (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Cameronghanson

Quote:
You seem to have some electrical skills/knowledge. I have a manual brz so I do not have that snow/sport mode button in that space. I was thinking of purchasing this and seeing if I could use that as my switch.

Looking at the switch and how it is connected do you think it's possible? or do you think it might be crazy excessive work?
i have a manual too...sport traction control light wire should work though
The Following User Says Thank You to Cameronghanson For This Useful Post:
FRS_Sovereign (06-01-2013)