follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 AM   #29
10Stars

Drives: 14 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDDeS View Post
You ABSOLUTELY NEED AN OIL COOLER !! don't even make the mistake not to fit one. It is absolutely critical, this and to be able to monitor oil temp, and pressure ! Daily driving your car can be a real issue as well, sitting in the traffic could be bad, with a V2 blowing in its lungs, trust me, temps can go sky high if you don't have an oil cooler. If you are ready to invest thousands of $ for the V2 kit, don't go cheap fit a proper oil cooler, and yes the S type is the one to use.

Your setup seems good for the power you want, yet if you live in a hot area it might be a litle more complicated but still that's the way to go.

V2 supercharger, EL no cat header, over pipe, front pipe, exhaust , Oil cooler, break pads, tires, and possibly clutch ...

On the EL / UEL debate, i'm going to talk on what i know, HKS has also an UEL header, they don't recommend it at all for any perf oriented setup ... some will argue it is horse s** but fact is i've seen two 86 on the dyno, one with a UEL hks header, other with EL one, the UEL was down by 20hp ... would it be the same with other UEL setup, I don't know but you got my note on it UEL isn't a "performance" setup anyway ... subaru doesn't use it anymore for a reason, so isn't Porsche ... Yes it sounds cool, but comes at a price.
I will take your advice and go with an EL header instead as well as a oil cooler since we usually average about 81 degrees Fahrenheit annually.

Hmmm so I followed the hks link from, https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/43635 and it lists the oil cooler as discontinued?

I did a little more research on hks website and I also found this oil cooler which seems to be a updated unit.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...oling/db/15613

Under remarks it lists that the 6AT as "not tested" I'm guessing they meant that literally and not fitment wise? Which would be the better/recommended of the two?
10Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #30
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Stars View Post
Thank You. Btw i absolutely love your car. I'm also wrb

From what I understand is that hks has a specific oil cooler for the v2 supercharger.

To avoid any confusion, the supercharger kit comes with it's own small oil cooler for the traction fluid. My kit purchased used, didn't have it and I had to track down a very small radiator to subsistute for it. HKS America indicated the car is safe to drive without it but no long trips or track days.

I also bough a 19 row oil cooler/sandwich plate as oil temps will rise dramatically after spirited driving.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
10Stars (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #31
10Stars

Drives: 14 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
To avoid any confusion, the supercharger kit comes with it's own small oil cooler for the traction fluid. My kit purchased used, didn't have it and I had to track down a very small radiator to subsistute for it. HKS America indicated the car is safe to drive without it but no long trips or track days.

I also bough a 19 row oil cooler/sandwich plate as oil temps will rise dramatically after spirited driving.
You're running the v2 setup right? What brand oil cooler did you go with?

I noticed you also have a 15 wrx, I'd love to hear your opinion on how your current car is now compared with your 15 wrx if you don't mind.
10Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #32
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Stars View Post
You're running the v2 setup right? What brand oil cooler did you go with?

I noticed you also have a 15 wrx, I'd love to hear your opinion on how your current car is now compared with your 15 wrx if you don't mind.
I have a V1 kit with the V2 piping and intercooler. So, basically I have the same as a V2 except with the HKS mushroom intake.
I got my oil cooler from CX racing for $369. US$ (quite a bit more once landed here in Canada after shipping, duties, taxes, conversion). A few parts were short shipped but when I do install it I will write a brief review. I also bough a small 7 row oil cooler to substitute for the missing one for the supercharger.

The '15 WRX is a totally different animal. It's the family/commuter car with a sporty twist. Just installed an HT style front lip. If I didnt have the FR-S I am sure I'd have gone for the STI. The WRX gets MUCH better mileage that an STI and still handles great.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 06-12-2015 at 10:44 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
10Stars (06-12-2015), HaDDeS (06-14-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #33
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Angry IMPORTANT QUESTION: LHD HKS owner

ANyone that has a LHD car,

The install manual I am referencing is the online PDF for the V2 but I have a V1. It is the same either way.
When facing the car looking under the hood, which side of the supercharger is the traction fluid inlet and which side is the outlet?

The manual is horrible for illustrating this and some photos are RHD and it is unclear.

I recently added in a traction oil cooler and filter which were missing from the unit I bought used. The oil appeared to be moving in the reservoir normally. Took the car out for a test run and after a few minutes there was a high pitched sound and the supercharger seized, stopping the engine.

I have removed the belt from the pulley and I cannot rotate the pulley manually at all in the proper direction or otherwise. The car cannot be started as there is so much resistance on the belt it cranks literally inches.

I probably killed the supercharger and need to confirm I had the inlet/outlet reversed.

Once confirmed, next step will be to try and find someone who can open the supercharger once removed and if repairable, rebuild it. Otherwise I will need a new blower and who knows what that will cost me.

Any idea if this is rebuidable if not mortally damaged helpful as well.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #34
Kckc1

Drives: White brz series blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was wondering what this kit sounds like, is there a supercharger whine to it while driving?
Kckc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #35
surfuxalot

Drives: Toyota Frs
Is this kit CARB legal?

Thanks
surfuxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #36
Scott@HKSUSA

Drives: 2013 FR-S, HKS V2 S/C
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
wbradley: sorry to hear! with the s/c mounted, the oil pump inlet is on the lower right-hand side of the drive. The oil pump outlet is on the lower left-hand side. The picture in the manual isn't the greatest, I'll agree, but the plumbing layout is accurate.

HKS does offer some service parts:
http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...ch/product/727

But from your description, unfortunately you'll probably require a new s/c.

Kckc1: the s/c doesn't have a traditional whine like a roots type blower, mostly due to HKS' unique traction-drive system. We've run ours with a Racing Suction filter and through the stock air box and with the RS filter, you could hear a little "swissssh" from the intake air, but no whine. Through the stock air box you can hardly tell it's there.

surfuxalot: No. Not yet anyway.
Scott@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #37
FRSCanuck

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@HKSUSA View Post
wbradley: sorry to hear! with the s/c mounted, the oil pump inlet is on the lower right-hand side of the drive. The oil pump outlet is on the lower left-hand side. The picture in the manual isn't the greatest, I'll agree, but the plumbing layout is accurate.

But from your description, unfortunately you'll probably require a new s/c.

Kckc1: the s/c doesn't have a traditional whine like a roots type blower, mostly due to HKS' unique traction-drive system. We've run ours with a Racing Suction filter and through the stock air box and with the RS filter, you could hear a little "swissssh" from the intake air, but no whine. Through the stock air box you can hardly tell it's there.

surfuxalot: No. Not yet anyway.
Hi Scott,

just curious as to what's the difference between the 2 types of traction oil?
12002-AK029
12002-AK030

and which one is included in the V2 kit?

Cheers,
FRSCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #38
Scott@HKSUSA

Drives: 2013 FR-S, HKS V2 S/C
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
AK029 is included with the kit and should be fine for 97.2% of the users in the USA.

AK030 is for cold weather use only [-20C / -4F].
Scott@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #39
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:

But from your description, unfortunately you will probably need a new supercharger.
Interesting that the traction fluid filter is on backorder even though despite the relatively low replacement frequency, it is a consumable item for this kit. Also, the oil cooler cannot be sold separately. Virtually all Rotrex type and Vortech centrifugal superchargers are rebuildable. And HKS offers a rebuild kit for this blower on the Japanese website yet the distributer in North America will/can not tell me on the phone if I can order those parts. I have a rebuilder and I have sent out the blower to be opened and hopefully repaired. Considering the blower alone will run me approx $3500 landed I would feel very disgruntled if the unit is repairable and HKS refuses to make the parts available. Seriously, that would be horrible PR. I see people rebuilding the other brands regularly as they can wear or deteriorate in performance on occasion. Why would there be a part# for a rebuild kit on the corporate website shown if they cant/won't provide it? Isn't rebuildability part of the decision making process when choosing which unit in the market to buy? This vehicle is a lot of peoples daily driver, so they need to have some product support for a vital component once installed. It's not like its easy to just remove it and move on.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #40
miyoshi82

Drives: Not a FRS for now
Hello, I'm just curious if anyone has dropped a HKS Supercharger into an automatic?
miyoshi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #41
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Drives: Forester STi SG9
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Its been done numerous times here in Japan, some of them are garage race cars, one of them I know is a 2.1 HKS stroked Supercharged AT, it doesn't offer as much power as the manual, but it works perfectly !!!
HaDDeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #42
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Drives: Forester STi SG9
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The absence of whine has nothing to do with the "unique HKS traction drive" it is simply inherent to the type of the supercharger.

Centrifuge Superchargers, whoever build them, don't whine ... they, at the best, emit a sound similar to turbochargers, just much quieter. HKS engineered their unit a long time ago based on Rotrex design, and revised it from ground to make it more reliable and efficient.

Better educate people with the right information, not just some marketing fairy-tales, and once again, i love HKS.
HaDDeS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HaDDeS For This Useful Post:
CxG (03-17-2016)