follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 AM   #15
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That works great until there is no more fuel on the rhs. The rhs pump continually runs dry and eventually fails.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe they are using the float to turn off the rhs pump (speculation only).

I was very surprised they didn't install a surge tank given it is a dedicated race vehicle - but they didn't.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
The problem with the simple 1 pump drawing from a T into both sides is that unless you draw the EXACT right amount from each side (note: not necessarily even amounts) you will wind up emptying one tank faster. When one tank is empty, the pump starts drawing in air, and only air, from only that tank. The fuel in the other side would not be touched. If you don't have a float on either side and 2 gauges to monitor them, you could run dry without knowing it. Theoretically, you could treat each side as its own fuel tank and switch between them manually (aircraft style), but that defeats the purpose of a simple solution.

It seems to me that the best solution is to draw from one side only, and use some method to equalize the fuel level.

My guess is that's why the folks mentioned below have their fuel system setup that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
I was talking with one of the TR86 Race Teams here in Australia (the Toyota spec racing series) about this. Their configurations are all specified by the race series organisers who do some engineering and determine what configs all the cars must run.

It is my understanding that they have installed a second OEM fuel pump in the left hand saddle. It's role is to pump fuel into the right hand side saddle where the standard pump and pickup is.

Edit: Im dumb. Just looked at the Hydramat thing. Looks like what I am saying doesn't apply...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #18
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I'm not speculating, I've seen the dual pump setup fail. In fact, I've seen it fail on my dyno. My car has two hydramats, plus a surge tank and I'm just about to switch to a larger surge tank. Race cars should just use a fuel cell. Forget the race series down here as an example, a lot of things they do on those cars are pretty dumb.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Radium Engineering
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
G-Unit86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Has anyone tried this out from Radium?
http://www.radiumauto.com/Venturi-Je...-Kit-P760.aspx

Maybe add a hydro mat on the passive side to help with the pick up.
G-Unit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:25 PM   #21
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Drives: Track BRZ - Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFR-s View Post
I think I've got it figured out. Radium engineering has an adapter to 5/16 line from the fuel pump, stainless steel T from there out to a 8"x3" Hydramat on each side of the saddle. Would cut the bottom of the canister out and essentially by pass it. All in it's under $500USD.

This is why I love the forum and no idea is a bad idea.
did you ever get this working? if you did, how so?
jacobe38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #22
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if it's bye or I just missed it but radium has a dual pump setup now that utilities the stock pump location and with the fuel trapdoor that they have mostly if not completely eliminates the fuel starvation under hard cornering.
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #23
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
https://rad-industries.com/pn-20-057...albro-pumps-1/
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:43 PM   #24
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
did you ever get this working? if you did, how so?
I did not. The radium route is the way to go
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedFR-s For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-19-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 10:59 PM   #25
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFR-s View Post
I did not. The radium route is the way to go
as in surge tank setup?

and when you say you did not, what exact method did you attempt?

the T connection thing as suggested by the other user?

ive recently spoken to some folks who had some success mounting a 2nd pump that fed the first pump's basket. so im wondering on the specifics

thanks for responding!
Old 03-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #26
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
as in surge tank setup?

and when you say you did not, what exact method did you attempt?

the T connection thing as suggested by the other user?

ive recently spoken to some folks who had some success mounting a 2nd pump that fed the first pump's basket. so im wondering on the specifics

thanks for responding!
I wouldn't connect them in a T, it is going to be best to fill the primary basket with the secondary pump. I am piecing parts together for this right now using two OE fuel baskets and running the secondary on a seperate motor controller with a switch to turn it on when I want and adjust the duty cycle. I have some hall effect sensors and in the future plan to build a setup that will automatically switch on during a left hand turn. Just not enough time in the day.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #27
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I wouldn't connect them in a T, it is going to be best to fill the primary basket with the secondary pump. I am piecing parts together for this right now using two OE fuel baskets and running the secondary on a seperate motor controller with a switch to turn it on when I want and adjust the duty cycle. I have some hall effect sensors and in the future plan to build a setup that will automatically switch on during a left hand turn. Just not enough time in the day.
Hey, awesome, lets keep in touch.

I wouldn't do the T method either....but I was just wanting clarity on what OP meant exactly by saying "it" didnt work.

I plan to do what you are doing. But sounds like a simpler way. I plan to wire the second OEM pump in the passenger side to the same driver side power wire. And put a switch in the wiring there so its basically on or off. I got the tracbox and those racecargobrr switches and I plan to use one of those as the switch for this secondary pump. my plan is to switch it on while im on track and switch it off when I begin cooldown.

and that's it. nothing fancier than that. I am also a wiring noob. I've touched about every bolt on the car but electronics is a new foray for me. as such i am open to suggestions if something I said sounds inadvisable.

i do know of someone who used a Pi to basically turn on his aux fuel when he is on throttle. thought that was neat. but over my head.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #28
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey, awesome, lets keep in touch.

I wouldn't do the T method either....but I was just wanting clarity on what OP meant exactly by saying "it" didnt work.

I plan to do what you are doing. But sounds like a simpler way. I plan to wire the second OEM pump in the passenger side to the same driver side power wire. And put a switch in the wiring there so its basically on or off. I got the tracbox and those racecargobrr switches and I plan to use one of those as the switch for this secondary pump. my plan is to switch it on while im on track and switch it off when I begin cooldown.

and that's it. nothing fancier than that. I am also a wiring noob. I've touched about every bolt on the car but electronics is a new foray for me. as such i am open to suggestions if something I said sounds inadvisable.

i do know of someone who used a Pi to basically turn on his aux fuel when he is on throttle. thought that was neat. but over my head.
"T"ing them will still cause fuel starvation if one pump is sucking air.

I will do a writeup on my setup when I put it together. At this point I am still grabbing fuel fittings that I will need. I want it all together to document it in one go.