follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
2 stroke emissions might be an issue with that car. They didn't give much info on that end

True, but with the resources of a real car company you could get a 1l 4 stroke REX motor in there. The i3’s REX setup weighs <300lbs. That’s not as light as a 2 stroke but not bad.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (10-13-2019)
Old 11-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
2021 Toyota Mirai Hits Dealerships in December with Cutting Edge Technology, Enhanced

https://pressroom.toyota.com/2021-to...ltiple-grades/

Quote:
  • Elegant 2021 Mirai Goes on Sale in December
  • First Time Mirai Will Be Offered with Two Grades – XLE and Limited
  • Toyota Safety Sense 2.5+ Standard on Every Mirai
  • Standard 12.3-Inch Multimedia Touchscreen with 14-Speaker JBL® System
  • Hydro Blue, Oxygen White, Supersonic Red, Heavy Metal and Black Exterior Colors
  • Seating for Five

PLANO, Texas (November 16, 2020) – The first production hydrogen fuel-cell electric vehicle (FCEV) offered for sale to retail customers in North America, the Toyota Mirai, rolled onto dealership lots five years ago. This December, the all-new, second-generation 2021 Mirai, which debuted in 2019 at the Los Angeles Auto Show, will do the same.

A dramatic change in styling, this Mirai will offer multiple grades for the first time – XLE and Limited – and is based on Toyota’s premium rear-wheel drive platform, debuting a dramatic yet refined coupe-inspired design with improved passenger room and comfort. The new platform allows for a highly rigid body that is lower, longer, and wider, with its bolder stance accentuated by available 20-inch alloy wheels. The design is more aerodynamic, yet also emotionally evocative.

Premium Technology

The Mirai is raising for the bar for standard technology equipped across a model line. Every grade comes standard with a 12.3-inch multimedia touchscreen with 14 JBL® speakers including a subwoofer and amplifier, as well as Android AutoTM, Apple CarPlay® and Amazon Alexa compatibility. Behind the steering wheel, an 8-inch color TFT LCD digital gauge cluster displays the speedometer, drive mode, fuel efficiency, MID and more. A Qi-compatible smartphone wireless charging tray also comes standard on every 2021 Mirai.

The XLE grade includes dual-zone climate control, heated front seats, manual rear seat sunshades and power-folding mirrors with puddle lights.

The Limited grade comes standard with a color Head-Up Display (HUD) with speedometer and navigation, three-zone automatic climate control, heated and ventilated front and rear seats, and a rear touchscreen control panel with climate control function, rear sunshade toggle, audio controls. A Bird’s Eye View Camera also comes standard on Limited grades, while available on XLE. The Limited grade also gets standard Intelligent Park Assist and a dual-fixed panoramic moonroof with power sliding shade.

Toyota Safety Sense 2.5+

Toyota is a pioneering force in the adoption of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) ever since it made the advanced safety features standard across many of its model lineup for 2017, five years ahead of the voluntary commitment by many OEMs with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to make it standard on virtually all light vehicles. For 2021, the Mirai is one of three Toyota models to include TSS 2.5+, the next phase in Toyota’s evolution of safety systems. A number of functions that are part of the Toyota Safety Sense have been enhanced.

For starters, the Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), features multiple enhancements. By enhancing the system capabilities, it is now possible for the system to help detect not only the vehicle ahead but also a preceding bicyclist in daytime and even a preceding pedestrian in low-light conditions. TSS 2.5+ also enhances the PCS w/PD system with intersection support. At intersections, the system may detect an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian when performing a left-hand turn and may provide audio/visual alerts and automatic braking in certain conditions. Additional PCS functions include emergency steering assist, which is designed to stabilize the driver’s emergency steering maneuvers within their lane while avoiding a preceding pedestrian, bicyclist or vehicle.

Mirai comes equipped with Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), which can be activated above 30 mph and is designed to perform vehicle-to-vehicle distance controls down to 0 mph and resume from a stop. DRCC also includes a new feature that allows for smoother overtaking of slower vehicles. If traveling behind a vehicle traveling slower than the preset speed, once the driver engages the turn signal with steering input the system will provide an initial increase in acceleration in preparation for changing lanes; after changing lanes, the vehicle will continue acceleration until it reaches the preset driving speed.

Lane Departure Alert is designed to help notify the driver via audible alert if it senses the vehicle is leaving the lane without engaging a turn signal. When DRCC is set and engaged, Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) is designed to assist the driver by providing a slight steering force to help center the vehicle in its lane using visible lane markers or a preceding vehicle.

Additional TSS 2.5+ features include Automatic High Beams, which detects preceding or oncoming vehicles and automatically switches between high beam and low beam headlights, and Road Sign Assist (RSA), which is designed to recognize certain road sign information when available, by using a forward-facing camera and display them on the MID.

Electrifying Choices

Accentuating the Mirai’s smoother, more sculptural form is a brand-new Hydro Blue color never before featured on a Toyota which achieves its brightness and deepness through a multiple-layer painting process. This exclusive color will only be available on the Limited grade. Oxygen White, Black, Supersonic Red, and Heavy Metal, the latter of which is also exclusive to Mirai, will be available on both grades.

A 20-inch super chrome-finish aluminum wheel option is available on the Limited grades, while 19-inch black machined-finish aluminum wheels come standard. The XLE will come standard with 19-inch twin-spoke aluminum wheels.

Moving inside the cabin, all XLE grades feature Black SofTex®-trimmed heated seats with Gray stitching on the seats, doors, headliner and steering wheel, as well as Silver accents throughout the dash.

The Limited grades have a choice of Black or White heated and ventilated perforated SofTex®-trimmed seats. Both options can be paired with Gray stitching with Silver accents or Ivory stitching with Copper accents.

The Limited grades feature panoramic moonroof panels with power sliding shade. Limited also features a power sunshade for the rear window.

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-23-2020), JesseG (01-19-2021)
Old 11-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
I might consider this if 1) it was not a west coast only car 2) there was any chance a hydrogen infrastructure will be built soon.

I blame Musk for this....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
vh_supra26 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
"the Toyota Mirai, rolled onto dealership lots five years ago. This December, the all-new, second-generation"

LOL I have never heard of this before and it is five years old and headed into the second gen?
Old 11-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Sales figures for the 1st gen were pretty low. I never even seen one in person.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/toyota...onthly-yearly/
Old 11-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
"the Toyota Mirai, rolled onto dealership lots five years ago. This December, the all-new, second-generation"

LOL I have never heard of this before and it is five years old and headed into the second gen?
It was only sold in California.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
It was only sold in California.
They sold 81 in Canada :p
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #22
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Modellista Has Already Unveiled A Kit For The 2021 Toyota Mirai

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/mo...-toyota-mirai/

gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
JesseG (01-19-2021)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
They sold 81 in Canada :p
Hmm, didn't know that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
vh_supra26 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #24
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Hmm, didn't know that.
Starting in 2019, but only for fleet operators.

http://media.toyota.ca/releases/toyo...arting-in-july
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

I had a coworker with one.

I also notice them a lot because as they merge onto the freeway the driver understandably stands on the throttle pedal it spits a bunch of wastewater out the tailpipe which invariably just sprays all over the place not any different from the car in front of you hitting the windshield wipers and dusting your hood and windshield with little specs of water...

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-23-2020), Tcoat (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #26
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Nobody is going to call them out for the seriously tacky name? I'd expect it from Kia and Hyundai, not Toyota...

Edit: for those not in the know, Mirai means future
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #27
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Nobody is going to call them out for the seriously tacky name? I'd expect it from Kia and Hyundai, not Toyota...

Edit: for those not in the know, Mirai means future
Toyota.com currently features a big banner advertising "Toyotathon" so par for the course imho.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #28
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Sales figures for the 1st gen were pretty low. I never even seen one in person.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/toyota...onthly-yearly/
I’ve seen a half dozen. Oddly shaped, but unique.

This second gen is pretty nice. Looks like the bastard child of a LC500 and a Stinger or something, but in a good way. Too bad performance won’t match the price tag; 0-60 in 9 seconds—ouch. I’m sure that EVs will outsell this by large margins.