follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 04-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #715
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
I just made this adjustment fairly easily. I noticed that shifter doesn't want to go into 2nd quite as easily at higher rpm with the clutch pedal at the same level as the brake pedal. Is anyone else noticing this? Should I bleed my clutch? I am also a little overdue for tranny fluid swap, waiting for that in the mail. Think that would help it?
I notice this too, as if the gate is blocked right? Then again, I never tried 1st to 2nd pull (with high rpm) before I did this mod. My clutch pedal is level with brake pedal now.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #716
Muchikori

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just an update i brought the pedal a little higher than the break pedal and noticed indidnt get the burnt clutch smell.

I did kinda notice that its harder to shift to 6 on higher rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muchikori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #717
Phrost

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchikori View Post
Just an update i brought the pedal a little higher than the break pedal and noticed indidnt get the burnt clutch smell.

I did kinda notice that its harder to shift to 6 on higher rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2014 and I can shift into 6th just fine. I wonder if there are gearing changes that cause the side effects of this mod to differ between older and newer models. I also notice a lot of audible shifting noises while going into gear in colder conditions that goes away once the car has warmed up. I think I might have to back off a little bit until I can figure out exactly what is going on.
Phrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #718
BRZ-SA

Drives: '17 BRZ Limited + Performance Pckg
Quote:
Originally Posted by N234 View Post
The pedal needs to release far enough back that the rod is stopped by the master cylinder. No exceptions.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Probably the best advice here. I adjusted my clutch pedal to be even with the brake, and it made enough of a difference. Test drove it, but still wasn't feeling comfortable. Checked the travel of the rod and master cylinder. Visually seeing the rod fully release and sitting against the master cylinder put me at ease knowing that the clutch is being fully disengaged. :thumb up:
BRZ-SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #719
Bimble Bamble

Drives: 10 Series
75k mi with this mod

20+ years driving stick. Set it even at brake pedal height brand new. Beat the shit out of it on the street, track, and autox for 75k mi. Clutch is toast now, TOB was toast at 50k. If it shaved off life it wasn't much!
Bimble Bamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #720
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but just did this a few days ago and played around with it a lot. Is it normal to lose that "clunk" when shifting into first gear from neutral after adjusting the pedal down a bit? I have mine a bit higher than the brake pedal and i feel the resistance of going into first gear but i dont have that clunk anymore.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #721
-AREN-

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Just did this to my 2018 BRZ, the clutch engagement feels effortless now without all that clutch travel. Will update on gear changing "sensations" on my way to work. Easiest mod ever.

Update: No issues with changing gears at high RPMs

Last edited by -AREN-; 10-01-2018 at 01:04 PM.
-AREN- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -AREN- For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-30-2018), Kiibiiin (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #722
Kiibiiin

Drives: 2018 86 Steel / 97 MX-5
Just did this on a 2018 86. FYI might need 2 14mm wrenches to break the nut on the cruise control sensor. Set the clutch pedal a bit lower than the break pedal as Koji suggests. Initial thoughts is that the clutch grips a lot earlier and because I wasn't used to it stalled embarrassingly in my driveway :q. After that took it around the block and 1st gear takeoffs just felt a million times more smooth. Engagement point is a lot closer to my miata which I learned to drive stick on, which is awesome. Didn't notice any grinding gears but I will update this post in about a week or two to give my final thoughts on the mod.

Edit:
Raised just a bit this time, 2.5mm above brake. Even better. It was grabbing a little bit too early when it was under the brake pedal. Now it's just right - no more adjustments!

Last edited by Kiibiiin; 10-10-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Kiibiiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #723
NaturallyAspirated

Drives: 2019 BRZ w/ PP
Bump from the dead. Just did this on a new 2019 BRZ and it really helped smooth out 1st gear starts and 1st -> 2nd shifts. Set the clutch pedal ~2mm higher than the brake pedal.

For me personally, I didn't have to adjust the clutch sensor. Before I performed the pedal adjustment, I looked at the sensor relative to the contact surface and the plunger on the sensor was already fully bottomed out (enough for the sensor body to touch the contact surface). After doing the pedal adjustment, only 1-2mm of the plunger is visually exposed.
NaturallyAspirated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #724
vicki

Drives: None
Is this proper amount of spacing with the white plunger?

vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:18 AM   #725
Rx FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT, 2023 Acura Integra
Official spec is there should be no clearance for the plunger, ie. it should be pushed in all the way, but if the cluster is still showing the gear numbers when you’re driving, you should be fine.
Rx FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #726
vicki

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx FR-S View Post
Official spec is there should be no clearance for the plunger, ie. it should be pushed in all the way, but if the cluster is still showing the gear numbers when you’re driving, you should be fine.
I read earlier posts of others saying there should be a slight bit of the white plunger showing about 1mm in spacing. My dash still shows what gear I’m in and the little up arrow of when I should upshift. No weird smell or grinding.
vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #727
Meep

Drives: 2016 BRZ
I did the adjustment and it’s great. My clutch feels crunchy or jagged when I release or press the clutch pedal in slowly is that normal? When the car is off the clutch pedal is smooth no matter what. There are no noises or squeaks, car is a 16 brz with 17k miles
Meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #728
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
I did the mod, and i like it. But only one thing that annoys me and i think i did wrong. Whenever i shift and my foot leaves my clutch pedal, the gear indicator takes like almost a full second to show what gear im on. Ive been trying for like an hour to adjust my sensor thing. Is it broken? Im just not sure what to do and its annoying me
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring