follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #71
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
We can't just throw up our hands and say "oh well nothing can be done, one more burned up BRZ to scrap." This shouldn't happen! The whole point is that people often don't own up to their mistakes.

Again, I hope OP can get this addressed with a minimum of hassle and hopefully the dealer will cough up a new car without any fight.
Agree that it shouldn't have happened. I'd be absolutely livid and crying for blood. I'm trying to give humanity the benefit of the doubt (very difficult these days) and hope that the dealership will do the right thing in this case. If they don't, then ABSOLUTELY a lawyer needs to be involved. It doesn't have to be a knee jerk response, though.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #72
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
. The guy that screwed up should probably be fired.
Unfortunately that's what will probably happen, doesn't matter that this guy might have a big family and everything.. This one is more serious then a simple mechanical failure, forgot to tight a cam gear bolt now replace a engine, lets say.. This couldve cost someone their life, the dealership has insurance just for this type of reason... Mistakes happen.. But since no one was hurt, would you like to be fired from your job, because of a slip up.. I'm hoping the mechanic comes out of this with a realization of rechecking after he rechecks..

Quote:
"Lawyering up" should be seen as a defensive measure, not as a "lottery ticket." It should not be about "getting rich," especially as here OP is not making a personal injury claim.

99% of the time, it should be about protecting your legal rights so you don't forfeit them. Pro per litigants get their asses handed to them by big companies' professional attorneys all the time. Your average joe doesn't know the rules of Civil Procedure or Evidence, etc. so oftentimes they get crushed.

OP can handle this himself, but it makes NO SENSE AT ALL to say, "never get an attorney" in this situation. Also, Gixxer, you should ask your friends about how attorney fee arrangements typically work but realize that their advice does not technically apply to our state.

She is just the helper at the firm but I'll ask.. I was going to bring this to her attention and see what they say anyways.. I'm not saying don't get one, if its coming off like that then I apologize .. I'm against the get a lawyer to get rich crap.. If the op feels that he isn't getting what he is owed, then by all means grab one, but if the dealer comes up Monday with, we ordered you a new car, it's got everything, come pick up a loaner until yours gets here, I don't see the need to have a lawyer.. I can agree with at least a consultation tho.. But Monday morning I'd be up there with the upper most management that is at the dealership talking about how this is going to be handled.. And what's the next step, how are you going to fix this situation.. I'd never... Ever bring up that I'm getting an attorney either.. That's the quickest way to, "we have nothing else to talk about" and then having to get the lawyer to finish everything up..
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #73
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
These gentlemen in here talking about "lawyering up" as being some pseudo crime is ridiculous. I'm not a democrat, nor a republican, nor affiliated to any political or religious organization. I'm just a man who has learned that the system wants to f*ck you at every opportunity, even if you are not at fault. Protect yourself. Be defensive. I'm not talking about getting rich quick here. There is a reason I don't trust dealers and if you do, you probably don't have much life experience. The tools are in place to protect yourself.. Use them. Sorry for the pun. (;
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tech4pdx For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (08-15-2013), vubaru (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #74
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4pdx View Post
These gentlemen in here talking about "lawyering up" as being some pseudo crime is ridiculous. I'm not a democrat, nor a republican, nor affiliated to any political or religious organization. I'm just a man who has learned that the system wants to f*ck you at every opportunity, even if you are not at fault. Protect yourself. Be defensive. I'm not talking about getting rich quick here. There is a reason I don't trust dealers and if you do, you probably don't have much life experience. The tools are in place to protect yourself.. Use them. Sorry for the pun. (;
Working for three different dealership, I can see both sides.. I've seen some shady shit happen.. Ive seen people that really care about their work.. I believe you should really research your dealership and get to know your techs.. I've made mistakes for sure.. Everyone does... I learned from said mistakes..

To this day, I swear that this guy used me to get out of his car payment.. He was recently unemployed, came in for just a tire rotation, we did it 3k before, his records show every 6k, but he claims there was a slight vibration and just wanted to make sure and even the tire wear.. I rotated the tire.. I use a impact to pull the lugs off, I have a small matco 3/8 battery powered impact set to about 30 ft lbs.. Set the car on the ground and use my torque wrench to finish righting lugs.. Alway have.. This guy calls the next day, claims while driving home the right rear wheel falls off.. Causes him to run into a ditch and damn near total the car.. Dealership paid off his car and gave him another car.. Free HD clear.. This was in 2001 before high def cameras, so you can see me working on the car.. You can see me tightening the lugs.. At each corner, you can't tell the tool.. But what I found was questionable, every lug on the car was loose... Every one.. I think this guy couldn't pay his payments, and used us to get out of it.. The same reason Walmart and other quick oil change places use paint pens on the filter and drain plug.. It used to be a easy way to get a new engine if yours was going bad..

Google insurance fraud cases.. It's amazing what people do to get out from under something for no reason but to get out from under that payment.. Not even getting paid.. I'm in NO WAY saying this is what the op did.. But I know things happen so people don't have a repo.. Now they have a criminal record lol
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #75
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
Working for three different dealership, I can see both sides.. I've seen some shady shit happen.. Ive seen people that really care about their work.. I believe you should really research your dealership and get to know your techs.. I've made mistakes for sure.. Everyone does... I learned from said mistakes..

To this day, I swear that this guy used me to get out of his car payment.. He was recently unemployed, came in for just a tire rotation, we did it 3k before, his records show every 6k, but he claims there was a slight vibration and just wanted to make sure and even the tire wear.. I rotated the tire.. I use a impact to pull the lugs off, I have a small matco 3/8 battery powered impact set to about 30 ft lbs.. Set the car on the ground and use my torque wrench to finish righting lugs.. Alway have.. This guy calls the next day, claims while driving home the right rear wheel falls off.. Causes him to run into a ditch and damn near total the car.. Dealership paid off his car and gave him another car.. Free HD clear.. This was in 2001 before high def cameras, so you can see me working on the car.. You can see me tightening the lugs.. At each corner, you can't tell the tool.. But what I found was questionable, every lug on the car was loose... Every one.. I think this guy couldn't pay his payments, and used us to get out of it.. The same reason Walmart and other quick oil change places use paint pens on the filter and drain plug.. It used to be a easy way to get a new engine if yours was going bad..

Google insurance fraud cases.. It's amazing what people do to get out from under something for no reason but to get out from under that payment.. Not even getting paid.. I'm in NO WAY saying this is what the op did.. But I know things happen so people don't have a repo.. Now they have a criminal record lol
Thanks for sharing. The people you describe, I have ZERO respect for and would support any legislation that would punish them further. I pay to play. If I modify and f*ck up, I pay the bill. I don't use warranty or try to work the system for my mistake/bad decision. Not to say I've not made bad decisions in the past, but age tends to ripen a good person at heart. If you buy a car and start modifying it in ways that could potentially cause early failure without the finances to back it up.. YOUR fault. Stay stock. Don't be stupid. Ask me how I know..lol. (:
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #76
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Honestly I believe he should lawyer up asap not to sue for extra compensation but because if the dealer does not take responsibility and screws over OP it may be too late. The lawyer may also be able to tell OP the necessary steps in order to avoid the dealer screwing him over.
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #77
cobrabyte

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I recently upgraded my fuel pump (in-tank), as well. I read through the Subaru service manual and was surprised to find that it called for disconnecting fuel hoses under the hood. Doesn't make sense to me and I didn't go that route when installing mine (simply disconnected the battery after pulling the fuel pump fuse, then opened the fuel cap to relieve back-pressure). It looks like they didn't reconnect all those 'precautionary' fuel hoses properly. I'd check out the Subaru Tech Manual (see: Section FU).
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #78
brzadrian
I'm Batman

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ aka Sally
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Omg i hope no one was in the backseat!
im sorry for ur loss man it always hurts when its the dog and the car...
brzadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #79
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh yeah? What is a lawyer going to do if not apply "pressure?" OP can do it on his own but it always helps to gave a legal eagle watching your back.
Ask for $2000 for a retainer and charge you $250 for making a 5 minute phone call. Promise to get you 1.8 million dollars and end up getting you a new car and a $1500 legal fee for making half a dozen calls. That's what a lawyer is going to do.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #80
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I repeat from my earlier post:

Now I am concerned. What led up to why you needed a new fuel pump?
And what is that about "not getting it in gear correctly"?
Did you buy the car new from the dealership you mentioned?

I also add these questions for the OP:
  • Have you done any work (modifications, maintenance) on your car by yourself?
  • How many miles on the car when you bought it?
  • Are you behind on payments?
  • What other problems are there with the car that you have not mentioned?
  • Have you had this dealership do other work on this specific vehicle or other vehicles you have owned?
  • How many cars have you owned in the past ten years?
  • Which ones were purchased 'as new' (not previously registered)?
  • When did you buy the car and what was the approximately mileage on the car when the incident occurred?
  • Have you had any insurance claims for cars or other property in the last 10 years?
  • What is your current driving record?
  • Were you gainfully employed at the time of the incident or unemployed since the incident?
Certainly I do not expect you to answer some of the above questions but these are some of the questions that may be asked of you if any litigation is involved.

To be fair to the forum members, I do respectively ask that you answer at least the first three original questions.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #81
CTB727

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Oh my God..

Sorry for your loss, but just be grateful that you're okay. I HATE the idea of lawsuits in this sue-happy society, but this is a case where I think you may actually NEED to sue if they don't take care of you right away.

Best of luck in getting a new car and fair compensation.
CTB727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #82
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Agree that it shouldn't have happened. I'd be absolutely livid and crying for blood. I'm trying to give humanity the benefit of the doubt (very difficult these days) and hope that the dealership will do the right thing in this case. If they don't, then ABSOLUTELY a lawyer needs to be involved. It doesn't have to be a knee jerk response, though.
How cold was it in the Midwest?

It was so cold in the Midwest recently that all the lawyers had their hands in their OWN pockets.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZfan For This Useful Post:
M-17 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #83
JCW

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have a lawyer that is overseeing the situation. I'm not going to pursue any legal actions unless Subaru tries to screw me. As for the questions mentioned earlier, I got the new fuel pump because of the crickets and the TSB sent out by Subaru. The gears not going in correctly is something kind of hard to explain, I would put it into gear and let go of the clutch but when i gave it gas it was unresponsive. It would catch on about 5 seconds later and car would jerk a bit. And yes this car was brand new when I bought it in sept, only 8 miles on it. The car was bone stock, haven't done any mods to it.

I'll keep everyone updated as it happens.
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JCW For This Useful Post:
cobrabyte (01-27-2013), donutfilling (01-27-2013), Shagaliscious (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #84
Wasabi
おい、だいじょうぶ?

Drives: BRZ Limited 6 Speed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
omg scary!! Subscribed to hear the results
Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote