follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #57
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
great DIY man, the only 2 things I may do differently: a different tablet with data connection (future proof) and a flush cover so that the tablet is not visible to strangers when the car is in park. I'd hate it if morons break my windows to steal the tablet.

I am kind of set on the Nexus for now, but you are right about choosing a tablet with data connection, it would make things easier for most.

And they cover is a great idea!!!
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
KRAZYK
Self Entitled

Drives: 13' Red FR-S, 12' Toyota Tundra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom86 View Post
Cant you use the USB to just power on the tablet so that you dont need to use the glove box power? split the rear USB using a USB 2.0 splitter for bluetooth and lower USB port then the front be used for the tablet
I think he was doing this at one time but the USB from the HU was only giving a small charge.. not powering the tablet like it should.
KRAZYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I am kind of set on the Nexus for now, but you are right about choosing a tablet with data connection, it would make things easier for most.

don't get me wrong, nexus 7 is a great choice, in fact the reason why I didn't say which I'm going with was because there is none better alternative. Kindle LTE is good but the amazon's closed version of android is a headache and it doesn't fit anyway. i'm waiting for the next nexus 7.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
phenom86

Drives: Scion FRS Asphalt
how come you cover up one end of the tablet, is there alot of space?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #61
hybrid35

Drives: dd
Quote:

I was thinking about this a few days ago too.

How about a cover that goes under/above the tablet and into the dash, and you can pull it out to cover. The locking mechanism for when the cover is down I personally was thinking of was a snap in + spring so it automatically goes into the dash when you press on it.

Kind of like the sunglass holders in other cars, ashtray covers, or center console cupholder covers. Might need some fabrication done for that though.

Or a flexible cover that slides down from the inside guided by rails on the side.

Or just have your tablet constantly run wowomg.com as the screensaver.
hybrid35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #62
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
don't get me wrong, nexus 7 is a great choice, in fact the reason why I didn't say which I'm going with was because there is none better alternative. Kindle LTE is good but the amazon's closed version of android is a headache and it doesn't fit anyway. i'm waiting for the next nexus 7.
I played with the Kindle HD yesterday, it's nice but I would not use it in the car compared. Plus the software issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYK View Post
I think he was doing this at one time but the USB from the HU was only giving a small charge.. not powering the tablet like it should.
Thats correct, standard USB ports are not enough to charge it.
Even 1A USB is not enough. You need greater than 2A USB.
I could go for a 2A USB charger like mentioned, but the 150w inverter means I just get the flexibility of charging a laptop etc for a passenger. You could do it either way depending on your needs. Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom86 View Post
how come you cover up one end of the tablet, is there alot of space?
There is about an .8" gap on each side when centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid35 View Post
I was thinking about this a few days ago too.

How about a cover that goes under/above the tablet and into the dash, and you can pull it out to cover. The locking mechanism for when the cover is down I personally was thinking of was a snap in + spring so it automatically goes into the dash when you press on it.

Kind of like the sunglass holders in other cars, ashtray covers, or center console cupholder covers. Might need some fabrication done for that though.

Or a flexible cover that slides down from the inside guided by rails on the side.

Or just have your tablet constantly run wowomg.com as the screensaver.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday after your post, probably a snap on cover is easiest and cheapest. I could have it vinyled and cross stitched to match interior easily.

Haha or I could run meatspin on there too.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #63
kmusk01

Drives: Genesis Coupe
That is fantastic work!

Does that radio not come with the JVC Android App? I have a JVC media headunit and I thought I would use the remote to control the thing, but love the android app much better. It has finger gestures to control it.

I would look into getting that install on the tablet and you would be able to almost control your entire radio through the app. Would be pretty damn sweet I would think.

Also been following your progress over at the Veloster forum Actually considering getting one, and will be donating for sure.

Ken~
kmusk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #64
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
So if im hearing this correctly you needed a separate pioneer headunit behind the tablet in order to connect the tablet to the speakers? Was looking forward to this but i dont feel like buying a tablet + another headunit.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #65
StevenEngage

Drives: 1995 Nissan Sentra
This is bada$$, I have that same JVC headunit in my Sentra and there is an android app for it that allows you to control everything on the unit. called Smart Remote i believe
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #66
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
So if im hearing this correctly you needed a separate pioneer headunit behind the tablet in order to connect the tablet to the speakers? Was looking forward to this but i dont feel like buying a tablet + another headunit.

I never had a head unit in my car when I got it. So I tested 3 different types, and settled on a single DIN JVC. If you already have a head unit, depending on the size you could re-use the one you have. You just would have to move it back in the bracket so the tablet would not touch it.

All you would need is an Aux connector for sound.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #67
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusk01 View Post
That is fantastic work!

Does that radio not come with the JVC Android App? I have a JVC media headunit and I thought I would use the remote to control the thing, but love the android app much better. It has finger gestures to control it.

I would look into getting that install on the tablet and you would be able to almost control your entire radio through the app. Would be pretty damn sweet I would think.

Also been following your progress over at the Veloster forum Actually considering getting one, and will be donating for sure.

Ken~
Thanks!! Yeah, funny how one simple thing spawns others.
And yes I have the JVC App on my phone but it does not work with the nexus 7. Kind of a let down actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenEngage View Post
This is bada$$, I have that same JVC headunit in my Sentra and there is an android app for it that allows you to control everything on the unit. called Smart Remote i believe
Its cool software just wished it worked with the Nexus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dezoris For This Useful Post:
phenom86 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #68
KRAZYK
Self Entitled

Drives: 13' Red FR-S, 12' Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
Another way to do it would be to run the audio to a processor.. but then you are looking at spending about $500 on the processor AND you dont get the functions that the single din radio comes with like FM tuner and USB in. So yeah a single din head unit is a better option.. you can get them pretty cheap these days so if you are gonna do the tablet install.. the single din HU should be the least of your worries lol.
KRAZYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #69
phenom86

Drives: Scion FRS Asphalt
Do you have any picture of the table in the bezel.. you have pics of the front of it, but do you have back pictures of how you secured it to the bezel? im also thinking of doing the same thing and wanted to see how you took care of securing and cabling
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #70
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I never had a head unit in my car when I got it. So I tested 3 different types, and settled on a single DIN JVC. If you already have a head unit, depending on the size you could re-use the one you have. You just would have to move it back in the bracket so the tablet would not touch it.

All you would need is an Aux connector for sound.
i got the standard head unit so i dont think i cant push it back, how much was the JVC? Also how do you go from FM/AM to usb? Does the tablet have the option to do that or do you need to remove the tablet to do that?