follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #57
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
I shouldn't have to "live" with a car that doesn't function properly, when it's pretty much brand new. Especially when on some downshifts it functions properly and on others it locks up the rear wheels.

Oh I definitely get that but my experience with what's being reported isn't as extreme as some of you make it out to be. I could only describe it as a hard shift where the car noticeably moves forward with the shift but as of now, there's zero negative consequences with it. I've had it happen to me at the top of 4th gear pulls while on track and the car just continues on.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #58
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I get this "hard shifting" all the time in D...but I just keep telling myself that TURBO will fix this so ill just deal with it ...
Got 15 FRS on December 2014, currently 14K
2JZ-GTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #59
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ-GTE View Post
I get this "hard shifting" all the time in D...but I just keep telling myself that TURBO will fix this so ill just deal with it ...
Got 15 FRS on December 2014, currently 14K
How will a turbo change how the TCM shifts your tranny?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #60
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
How will a turbo change how the TCM shifts your tranny?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
It doesnt But its just how I keep my mindset as I don't think about this issue again.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #61
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It seems to me like everyone is blowing this "issue" way out of proportion. Ive had my car for 3 years now, and I always get hard shift every now and then, and usually its in low/mid rpms.
Im sure its the TCU undergoing hard shifts (as its programmed to do) during a less than ideal throttle position/rpm range for that type of shift. I dont really see an issue with it. My car still downshifts flawlessly, and upshifts flawlessly when i need it to.
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #62
boxerfan

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estey View Post
It seems to me like everyone is blowing this "issue" way out of proportion. Ive had my car for 3 years now, and I always get hard shift every now and then, and usually its in low/mid rpms.
Im sure its the TCU undergoing hard shifts (as its programmed to do) during a less than ideal throttle position/rpm range for that type of shift. I dont really see an issue with it. My car still downshifts flawlessly, and upshifts flawlessly when i need it to.

Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boxerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #63
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you see the video I posted? On some downshifts, my car locks up the rear tires. Not exactly the safest thing.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #64
MechEGR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
I think its an electronic problem and will probably get worse or fail completely as time goes on.

How much time / mileage do you have on your warranty?
I bought the car in late May 2015 and have just over 5K miles on it.
MechEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #65
MechEGR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Quote:
You must not be getting what we're getting then because it's definitely hard enough shifting and happens often enough where I refuse to live with this issue. All the Toyota techs who have driven my car agree there is an issue, it's just a matter of figuring out what it is.
MechEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #66
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you see the video I posted? On some downshifts, my car locks up the rear tires. Not exactly the safest thing.
I just watched it and I see what you're talking about now. Definitely something only a handful of people are dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEGR View Post
You must not be getting what we're getting then because it's definitely hard enough shifting and happens often enough where I refuse to live with this issue. All the Toyota techs who have driven my car agree there is an issue, it's just a matter of figuring out what it is.
It seems to me like it's either an issue with the tcu or the torque converter, but I'm sorry to hear that it's been a long and unproductive process for you guys :/
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #67
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEGR View Post
When I pulled out of my driveway this morning, I put it right into sport mode and wasn't getting the hard shifting. I turned sport mode off and on and a few times and couldn't get it to happen. I then jumped on the highway in regular auto mode for 20 mins. I put it into sport mode when I got off the highway and the hard shifting was suddenly present. Going to try this again tonight and see if there is a pattern.
Quote:
I've been trying to find out what makes it happen. Sometimes it starts when my tpms light comes on. Sometimes it starts after using cruise control, some times it starts after going 80-100kmh for any time and sometimes it just happens with nothing I've "done" so to speak, except for driving in M mode.

Edit: but like someone else mentioned. If I turn the car off for even a second, it goes away, although it does come back quickly.

Me and Bergen23 have had this issue for quite some time however it is completely non existent when the car is started out in manual mode outright
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #68
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by about94ninjas View Post
That's exactly it! Did you happen to notice if your car was idling weird?

Yes, it idles weird when this issue appears
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #69
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Me and Bergen23 have had this issue for quite some time however it is completely non existent when the car is started out in manual mode outright
I've found a link between using cruise control and then switching to manual mode. If I don't use cruise, I don't have a problem. If I do use cruise, then I get the shitty downshifts. Do me a favour please, and go out and put your cruise on above 80kmh (50mph) for a little bit, then switch to manual mode and try your downshift. If it happens then, I think we could be on to something.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #70
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I've found a link between using cruise control and then switching to manual mode. If I don't use cruise, I don't have a problem. If I do use cruise, then I get the shitty downshifts. Do me a favour please, and go out and put your cruise on above 80kmh (50mph) for a little bit, then switch to manual mode and try your downshift. If it happens then, I think we could be on to something.

Will do problem is I don't see the car for several weeks, I still haven't installed that TCM unit I bought off eBay either and I see no one has one installed or had it replaced either. The last several weeks I drove it before leaving for college there were no issues whatsoever took it on some really good roads and drove it quite hard and the issue never appeared once. I will try the cruise control trick however does the issue occur after holding the throttle in auto mode above 50 mph without cruise control as well?

Tags
automatic, hard, issues, shifting, transmission