follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
FutureFT86

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Solved!: Scion FR-S Tachometer Signal

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get the tachometer signal for my FRS to install a large DEFI tach (yes I know we already have an excellent tachometer BUT this is just MY preference to have it higher and in front of my face). There are already a few threads out there but I thought I would consolidate my findings in this thread.

In a previous thread it was mentioned that the signal can be taken off a wire from the "certification ecu" however this does not exist in the frs. Well not at least my 2013 frs which does not have a push start button. I believe this only exists for BRZ's.

The following diagram was graciously provided by another member:

I tried pulling the signal from all 4 wires with a multimeter. Initially I get a signal but when I rev it immediately get an "OL" reading. I tried connecting each to the DEFI tachometer and I get sporadic readings jumping from 0 to 9k rpm. So unfortunately this diagram does not work

Does anyone have any other tried and tested methods of getting this signal. I know it's not easy or perhaps not possible since its Canbus.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by FutureFT86; 08-30-2016 at 08:21 AM. Reason: got tachometer signal
FutureFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
FutureFT86

So I managed to get a signal!

Having a 2013 frs that did not come with a push start button I could not tap into the tachometer signal from the "certification ecu". This is however very easy to find on any brz and probably any newer frs with the push start button (not sure of that though).

From the picture in my first post I couldn't find the correct signal from any of the wires pointed out.

Some members said to have tapped into A35 pin15 with success and some others without success to grab the signal. On my 2013 frs I have nothing in that slot so I decided to find another option.

Knowing our tachometer signal is controlled via CANBUS I researched on the net to find this nifty little gadget:Name:  IMAG1440.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  67.6 KB

I purchased it from Soundlabs group located in Australia. Essentially you have to tap into your OBDII connector's + and - signal below your dash and this unit converts the speed and rpm signal to two individual wires that you can tap in to. I took a chance using this product not knowing if it was going to work but am very happy with the results.

Once that's hooked up you're good to go! I hope this helps whoever is trying to get their speed or rpm signal.

Mike
Tcoat (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Thank you Mike! You have a link to where you got this from?. how much was it?
el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
FutureFT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-guapin View Post
Thank you Mike! You have a link to where you got this from?. how much was it?
https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/...BDII+Interface

Here you go. There are couple others on the market but I chose to go with these guys for their customer service.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think I might go this route as well. I've had a hell of a time trying to get a tach signal.

How do i tell which wires to tap into on the OBDII connector??