follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #29
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
2800 lbs is disgustingly heavy considering the Veloster weighs less than 2600...

I'm disappointed, too. A lot can be forgiven, as long as we are talking about light weight + rwd + low MSRP, but 2800 ain't light.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #30
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
2800 lbs is disgustingly heavy considering the Veloster weighs less than 2600...
It also only has 138HP and is FWD. Just like the Accent, which is even lighter.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
1280kg = 2800lbs. Pretty sure I called that in during the GR VLN car thread. Now who was it that was doubting me again?
Highly doubt those are official figures, they look like the mag's estimate. No way they'd give some random UK mag exclusive spec info. Marketing is very deliberate about timing the release of specs. I'd take it with a grain of salt until it's made official.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #32
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
Highly doubt those are official figures, they look like the mag's estimate. No way they'd give some random UK mag exclusive spec info. Marketing is very deliberate about timing the release of specs. I'd take it with a grain of salt until it's made official.
+1

If these guys weren't even allowed to get a peek at the dashboard, then there's no way they were given official stats/specs yet.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #33
balance

Drives: 86 & Picanto
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
+2, I just find it somewhat difficult to rationalize +300 lbs over the MX-5's weight considering the similar dimension of these cars and that convertibles are generally heavier.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #34
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thats not that bad. Veloster is FWD btw.

Anyways woo, I was in between a 240sx or this 2,762.4 lbs vs 2,800?
November 30th, can't you come faster??
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing Hachi!

The other article mentioned an R version. If this is true, good things come to those who wait!

Turbocharging the flat-four would be straightforward (after all, that’s what Subaru does with the Impreza), but chief engineer Tetsuya Tada told us that he ‘doesn’t like turbos’ and has ‘decided to reject the numeric power war’. He also said that an R version of the FT-86 was coming with less weight, Brembo brakes (our test car’s stoppers were from Hitachi), a rollcage, a larger rear wing, no rear seats and, yes, a mechanical LSD but no more power.

And bear in mind that Toyota had invited us for our input and that this was a fairly early car – things will be tweaked for production. Our cars were still disguised, although pictures of the FT-86 production car have leaked out in recent days.

Other options are also on the cards: a convertible is ‘possible’, while an auto gearbox is confirmed – it’s a six-speed unit based on the eight-speeder in the high-performance Lexus ISF.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #36
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post

The other article mentioned an R version. If this is true, good things come to those who wait! [/I]
It's going to be hard, but I'm going to wait for an R version to come out. Although, I'm not serious enough to want a rollcage.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #37
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
It also only has 138HP and is FWD. Just like the Accent, which is even lighter.
the turbo veloster is on its way and there is no way adding a turbo will add 200 lbs... i just dont want this car to be another miata. the miata had light weight but low power. now this car will have power but not very light weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
Thats not that bad. Veloster is FWD btw
the veloster is FWD but its a hatch with all that glass in the back, and the necessary structural support that goes with that. also the veloster comes with plenty of standard features including a 7" touchscreen and 17" wheels. i would expect a cheaply appointed coupe to at least match this weight. or even go over a little. but 200 lbs more? that's a lot imo...

Quote:

The other article mentioned an R version. If this is true, good things come to those who wait!
there is absolutely no way the US will get this car. i just dont see it. as long as the brembos and the LSD are available, i can see a market for them over here, like back in the day when honda Type R parts were very sought after in our market...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #38
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i gotta admit i am disappointed if the 1280 kg is true. all the rumors of 1150 kg got me all excited, but i guess that was wishful thinking. i don't like turbos either but i kinda wish the R version had a turbo just to make the HP crowd stop complaining.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
To clarify, nobody in those magazine reviews said this car would get 37 mpg US. That's an imperial mpg figure. Can't you people figure that out by now

If the curb weight really is 2800lbs I am very disappointed. 200 hp + 2800 lbs is boring to me. There better be a TRD forced induction option on the horizon. Removing the rear seats, spare tire (no doubt a tiny donut) and swapping the front seats for some Recaros will not reduce 100lbs of weight. Keep dreaming.

This is not good news to me
Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #40
Farred

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
while an auto gearbox is confirmed – it’s a six-speed unit based on the eight-speeder in the high-performance Lexus ISF.
so this means the auto will be a faster shifting auto? perhaps i am thinking of the LFA transmission.
Farred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #41
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
It's going to be hard, but I'm going to wait for an R version to come out. Although, I'm not serious enough to want a rollcage.
You can do it, we've waited several yrs already watching the transition of the FT86.

Quote:

there is absolutely no way the US will get this car. i just dont see it. as long as the brembos and the LSD are available, i can see a market for them over here, like back in the day when honda Type R parts were very sought after in our market...
Why not? A 6 pt cage isn't illegal and the power output is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farred View Post
so this means the auto will be a faster shifting auto? perhaps i am thinking of the LFA transmission.
I'm sorry did you say something... I was distracted by your avatar!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #42
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Quote:
Official, unofficial....I'd still bank on 2800lbs. So don't be surprised. Look at it this way, if its lighter then even more win.

2800 for a rwd seems reasonable to me.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz review, fr-s review, fr-s reviews, ft-86 reviews, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, toyota ft-86 review, toyota ft-86 reviews, toyota ft86 review